Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland (showtime)

- - - - -
    Well, now we know how they paid for the first episode .. By gutting the budget for the second episode.

Notching like spending half the run time watching Dane watch another character on tv.

Not a fan of the stuff in the garage. Seems like a convient red herring.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Nice to see Damian Lewis in a decent role btw. Such a good actor.
    Yes indeed. Did I ever tell you that I watched Keane based on your recommendation? He was great in that, as he is in everything.

I liked this episode better. I felt it had a more consistent tone, and I was very interested in the expanded universe (the harem spy girl, the CIA woman's family difficulties, etc.)

The main guy is doing a great job of being extremely expressive and empathetic while barely speaking. It's a demanding role.
    ...and the milk's in me.

decided to give this a shot and it has it's hooks in me. i'm less intrigued by the... intrigue than i am the examination of how brody relates to his family who he hasn't seen in 8 years and the surveillance stuff involving claire danes. the scene in which she was struggling with whether or not to watch brody and his wife have sex and decided to take the headphones off only to put them back on was really well done. that whole plotline in general seems to raise lots of questions about the surveillance and voyeruism that is becoming a larger and larger part of our society. they're also handling the mystery surrounding brody really well, even if i'm not completely sold on the portrayal of danes mental illness yet. promising stuff, especially considering it's on showtime.

I was a week behind but I'm caught up now, and interested. Carrie's continuing unethical involvement with the family makes for some gripping character stuff. I'm glad they're moving along the money plot, and for now keeping things ambiguous with Brody.

I must say that I hate the opening credit sequence, which is too long, pretentious, and overly expository.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I must say that I hate the opening credit sequence, which is too long, pretentious, and overly expository.
    By far the worst part of the show. I pretend it doesn't exist.

continually impressed by just how good this show is. best drama on tv right now.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I finally watched the first three episodes back-to-back late last week and just finished the new one a couple of hours ago and yeah, this is really good stuff. It's a lot to wrap my head around, having watched them all in such a short span, but there's very little I have to nitpick about it at the moment, I'm just glad that I'm now into it since I'm pretty sure it'll become a show worth discussing deeper as it continues.

To anyone that doesn't feel like it'd be their thing, I'd say it's definitely worth giving a shot despite how the tone and subject matter of the show may come across as cold, insular or not particularly entertaining. I know that whatever summaries or promos I saw made me think that, but luckily there were enough people I tend to agree with saying it was really good that made me check it out now (and I do realize it's only four weeks in, but these last several weeks of TV have been ridiculous for me to sort through). Even with the amount of praise it's gotten, it's still been the biggest and best surprise of the season for me.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Whoa. That was quite an episode.

I think they're veering away from the serious, realistic look at post-9/11 paranoia into a more television-ish drama/thriller, and that might be a good thing. It works a little better that way, and I'm really intrigued to see where we're going.

I could tell they were teasing a sexual fascination between Brody and Carrie, but I didn't think they'd pay it off so quickly. Can't wait to see what happens.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Even with the episode or two before this I was starting to have suspicions about Saul being the person playing both sides. So with this episode pushing that idea so strongly, I can't tell if they're intending on actually going in that direction with his character or just using it as a misdirect to mess with the audience.

This was also the easily most 24-feeling episode the show has done so far, especially the way it played much of the Faisel and Aileen stuff (though obviously done considerably quicker than that show would have), but also in the way this week's found new ways of heightening tension, interweaving and complicating the characters' alliances, loyalty and their motives (particularly Claire and Brody), which is the more favourable half to my comparison to the Jack Bauer show. The final polygraph scene was really well done, not to mention surprisingly chilling.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

This is really starting to look like 24, but without a hero... which makes it a more complex and interesting story. But I think a little subtlety wouldn't hurt. I feel like we learned far too much about Brody, and I didn't like his sudden openness. Unless, of course, it is also an act and he's still hiding stuff. He has practically been written out of the narrative of the show now, and I hope he doesn't become a redundant character.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Also, a note to the showrunners: you don't need a sex scene every episode (or two every episode, or three.) There are other ways to advance plot. Thanks!
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    This is really starting to look like 24, but without a hero... which makes it a more complex and interesting story. But I think a little subtlety wouldn't hurt. I feel like we learned far too much about Brody, and I didn't like his sudden openness. Unless, of course, it is also an act and he's still hiding stuff. He has practically been written out of the narrative of the show now, and I hope he doesn't become a redundant character.
    Well I wouldn't say that. Especially since we learned that [
    ] I don't see him not having a role to play in the foreseeable future of the show. Plus, this is a show that has adapted to some pretty major developments in a short amount of time already. Carrie's four week surveillance of Brody's home lasted, what, until episode 4?

Either way, I loved this episode more and more as it went along, eventually coming to the conclusion that it was the best episode so far.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Actually, I agree. This was a great episode. I'm just concerned with how it's going to effect the rest of the season. Loved all the gorgeous outdoorsy stuff.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmm.
    ...and the milk's in me.

i realllly don't know what to make of this twist.

I have concerns.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I... have concerns.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I suspect the show started to change at about the point where it deviated from the Israeli original. The change in subtlety is palpable.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I suspect the show started to change at about the point where it deviated from the Israeli original. The change in subtlety is palpable.
    yeah, i almost feel like it's falling apart. even the characterization (which i thought was the show's greatest strength in the first half of the season) doesn't seem nearly as well done anymore. crackpot theory: the show was better when there was more nudity.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    crackpot theory: the show was better when there was more nudity.
    I will support this theory out of completely selfish reasons.

I think the show could still turn it around and pull something great, but it sure is feeling less like an original, fascinating oddity and more like 24-but-with-cussing.

However, loved the scene where Saul was using his ruler to spread peanut butter on a saltine. No dialogue, just a nice little character moment.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, the little moments are still good.

This episode was much stronger, and Danes, Patinkin and Lewis were all acting up a storm. If this show nails the landing, I'm still willing to declare it a win.
    ...and the milk's in me.

yeah. i felt sooo helpless during that final scene. wow.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast