Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amazon Thread (or, for Duke, the I Love Bezos Thread)

Anyone do the AmazonFresh program? It's only available in LA/Seattle, but I think I may try it out. At least for 30 days when the free trial runs out. The $300/year seems silly.

But you can get food from top-line vendors/restaurants that would normally take 1-2 hours for me to get to. I'll try it for that alone.

$35 required to get a shipment, but the shipping is free, and overnight.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Amazon is doing Webvan? :crazy:

Showed up perfect and I'll definitely reuse.

It arrives in big Amazon bags. The meat and fish were in coolers and lined by iced up waters. So now I have free bottled water.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Who has used the Matchbook service? So far, pickings are pretty slim. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of books I've purchased on Amazon since its inception, only 10 are available to me via Matchbook. Still though, pretty cool.

So, um, Amazon PrimeAir.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_f...ode=8037720011

I don't even know with this one man.

- - - - -
    It's a publicity stunt, and a clever one during slow holiday news cycles.

There's about 1,000 problems with the concept right off the bat.

Yeh they said on 60 minutes we are still years away- but it's a legitimate business plan. It would save so much on shipping and personal and it would give access to Amazon to those who generally do not buy off the internet.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Amazon has purchased a huge warehouse space here in Baltimore, which is awesome in terms of local jobs and will replace a currently abandoned brownfield. Good stuff.

Anyway, what I WISH they would include is a drive-through. As in, I order a book online, and then pick it up on my way home. That would be a hundred times more convenient than trying to catch a delivery person.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Bade news is Maryland folks will now pay sales tax on amazon purchases.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Bade news is Maryland folks will now pay sales tax on amazon purchases.
    It's over a thousand jobs. They can have my six bucks a year.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    It's over a thousand jobs. They can have my six bucks a year.
    But for those that spends thousands its a lot more than six bucks.

But for those that spends thousands its a lot more than six bucks.
    Thousands? Then they can probably afford it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Thousands? Then they can probably afford it.
    Not the point I was making at all.

Is it that people have been skipping out on state taxes because of internet purchasing?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Well, the point I was making is that it is not at all bad news.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Is it that people have been skipping out on state taxes because of internet purchasing?
    I would spin it the other way. The state is trying to take advantage of the internet shoppers by charging tax on an internet company where that's the whole incentive to shop online in the first place. I get it, as long as there isn't a presence in the state you are selling to, it's free reign, which is why I wouldn't be happy if I were an Amazon shopper and they open a warehouse in your state. 1000 jobs versus several million people who shop on Amazon.

I would spin it the other way. The state is trying to take advantage of the internet shoppers by charging tax on an internet company where that's the whole incentive to shop online in the first place. I get it, as long as there isn't a presence in the state you are selling to, it's free reign, which is why I wouldn't be happy if I were an Amazon shopper and they open a warehouse in your state. 1000 jobs versus several million people who shop on Amazon.
    Yeah, the only reason to shop online is to skip out on paying taxes.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yeah, the only reason to shop online is to skip out on paying taxes.
    Mocking me?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Ignoring the "all taxes are stealing" counter-argument...

Creation of 2,000 jobs, reviving a section of the city that has been vacant and desolate for years, faster delivery options... yeah, I'll take it. I'm not so selfish as to think that now paying 6% tax is a travesty. The convenience and selection of Amazon is still far and above going to a store where I still have to pay taxes anyway.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

The state tax loophole is going to close once the laws catch up to technology, which they always do. It's just a matter of time. It doesn't bother me. I pay taxes on things I buy because I live in a civilized world.

The true benefits of online shopping are convenience, price, and selection. I don't think anyone is going to move backwards on that because of sales tax.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Mocking me?
    Yeah, a bit. Raiders and Mara cover the real benefits of online shopping in their posts. Not to say that not having to pay sales tax isn't nice, but it's pretty far down the list of reasons to shop online.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yeah, a bit. Raiders and Mara cover the real benefits of online shopping in their posts. Not to say that not having to pay sales tax isn't nice, but it's pretty far down the list of reasons to shop online.
    It's a huge reason! It's not far down the list at all. What would be the point of buying a TV off Amazon that will ship in 3-6 days rather than to go to Best Buy and get one the same day? It's to save money on what would be sales tax, which can be up to $50-100 for some TV purchases. You buy online so you don't have to leave your house? Please.

Edit: I was going to end this post with: "In the words of ODB at 10:00:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t03uSkgumBs

Too far?

Yeah. I mostly shop online for the convenience. I swear to God.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    It's a huge reason! It's not far down the list at all. What would be the point of buying a TV off Amazon that will ship in 3-6 days rather than to go to Best Buy and get one the same day? It's to save money on what would be sales tax, which can be up to $50-100 for some TV purchases. You buy online so you don't have to leave your house? Please.
    TV purchases account for what, 0.05% of Amazon purchases at most? I think big box stuff has always been something people do actually still shop for in person. However, I would also note that I am certain Amazon has a lot more TV selections in stock than the brick-and-morter stores do.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast