Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: The Amazon Thread (or, for Duke, the I Love Bezos Thread)

Tommy John sure is good, but a little pricey. Calvin Klein and Target's Den Of Thieves are essentially the same thing for 1/3 the price

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Tommy John sure is good, but a little pricey. Calvin Klein and Target's Den Of Thieves are essentially the same thing for 1/3 the price
    Tommy John is the iPhone of underwear. You can buy knockoffs if you want, but it's by far the best thing to wear next to your junk. Life-changing.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Is there any way to see what quality stream you get with Amazon Prime? For instance, The Americans season 2 looks pretty bad but Annihilation looks great. Looks like I'm getting SD and HD respectively but I don't see this listed anywhere on their site.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 03-13-2020 at 06:03 PM.

I just checked. It only says "HD" for Americans. Looks OK to me.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I just checked. It only says "HD" for Americans. Looks OK to me.
    Where are you seeing that? PS - just started looking into Streaming - have my TV connected via WiFi. I don't see HD either on the web site or anywhere on the TV app.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 03-13-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Where are you seeing that? PS - just started looking into Streaming - have my TV connected via WiFi. I don't see HD either on the web site or anywhere on the TV app.
    Just on the page: https://www.amazon.com/Behind-the-Re...t-video&sr=1-2

Does anyone know how to turn off the icon at the bottom right for the next movie in your watchlist when the credits for the movie you're watching are showing? I was watching the Neon Demon and the scenes during the end credits are something I want to watch without having this intrusive icon for another movie being displayed.

Does anyone know how to turn off the icon at the bottom right for the next movie in your watchlist when the credits for the movie you're watching are showing? I was watching the Neon Demon and the scenes during the end credits are something I want to watch without having this intrusive icon for another movie being displayed.
    Been trying to figure this out too

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Have you turned off autoplay?

Your Account & Lists > Prime Video Settings > Playback > Autoplay: Off

That'll stop the next movie or show in your list from playing, but it won't stop Amazon from promoting their own shit in that space (eg: "Amazon Originals" or whatever).

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Have you turned off autoplay?

Your Account & Lists > Prime Video Settings > Playback > Autoplay: Off

That'll stop the next movie or show in your list from playing, but it won't stop Amazon from promoting their own shit in that space (eg: "Amazon Originals" or whatever).

Yes, but that doesn't do it. To get rid of the icon at the bottom right you need to press Back - then press pause once or twice to start the credits rolling again. Now you can see the rest of the credits without the icon at the bottom right.

How often does Amazon change what's free and what's not? I was thinking of watching The Sopranos when I saw that it was free - but it isn't anymore. A friend had already started to watch and is now hooked - and now he has to pay.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 05-26-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Prime just added a bunch of titles. Re-watched Miami Blues last night. Also, Bad Company (with a young Jeff Bridges) is worth checking out. They also have the recent Light of my Life.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 07-06-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Hmm, I just realized this thread was in Off Topic. I think we need a thread where people locate good films to watch on Amazon Prime? Is there some hatred against Amazon Prime - why does such a thread not exist?

Anyway, I've been wanting to rewatch Dodsworth (1936) for a long time and usually Prime has awful copies of the old movies but in this case the transfer was fine (not great) - and this is a great movie!
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 07-06-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Isn't it Amazon Prime Day soon?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Anyway, I've been wanting to rewatch Dodsworth (1936) for a long time and usually Prime has awful copies of the old movies but in this case the transfer was fine - and this is a great movie!
    This is my major beef with Prime --- the transfers are a crapshoot. They have a buncha hard to find Zhang Yimou movies from the early 90s but they look like VHS bootlegs streamed at 380p.

Also, it's difficult to know what they have unless you learn about it from an outside service (JustWatch.com, etc).

This is my major beef with Prime --- the transfers are a crapshoot. They have a buncha hard to find Zhang Yimou movies from the early 90s but they look like VHS bootlegs streamed at 380p.

Also, it's difficult to know what they have unless you learn about it from an outside service (JustWatch.com, etc).
    instantwatcher.com too

Like Netflix, its a sonofabitch to find new stuff on their streaming apps.

Edit: damn, THANKS for that mention of justwatch.com! I wasn't aware of it.
    Last edited by Skitch; 07-03-2020 at 01:42 PM.

It's a little easier to find things using a web browser - but I just noticed Dafoe's first film Loveless by Bigelow (via the tv app) which everyone should check out! Most of the old film transfers are awful and it hurts more now that I have a very large screen. Two films I wanted to rewatch (Non-Stop New York and Stagecoach) are unwatchable due to horrific quality.

Fear of a Black Hat looks like crap on Prime. Pan & scan but it might have been shot in 1:33? I seriously doubt it tho. Hello Mary Lou looks like crap too and is pan & scan. Avoid. Both of these are otherwise great movies.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

One interesting thing about Prime are these free trials. You can get weekly free trials several times a year it appears. I did an HBO trial week back in May and it looks like it's letting me start another one if I wanted to. Doing a Showtime trial now which I'll cancel before the week is done. Prime has free trials from several different companies - you might be able to cycle through them all throughout the year and end up not paying anything extra. Just remember to cancel before the trial is done.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Prime just added a bunch of titles. Re-watched Miami Blues last night. Also, Bad Company (with a young Jeff Bridges) is worth checking out. They also have the recent Light of my Life.
    Bad Company is a classic.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    As an essential worker, I have no problem with people getting unemployment during a pandemic. Hell I don't have a problem with it when there isn't a pandemic. This country needs to figure out UBI because sooner rather than later automation will take a lot of people's jobs.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Amazon's latest Echo speaker has an all-new spherical design

Amazon's Echo Dot Is Now a Ball

Amazon's new Eero mesh routers support WiFi 6

Amazon's Fire TV Stick Lite offers HD streaming for $30

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast