Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amazon Thread (or, for Duke, the I Love Bezos Thread)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    ETM is right. If you want it purely for reading, one of the other new Kindles would be your best bet. The fire is for people that want a taste of reading a taste of movies and a taste of games. It's not going to be a fully functional tablet, even if it has the software to be one. It won't do half the things the iPad can do.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It won't do half the things the iPad can do.
    It will be "cracked" within a week, and fully functional android ported onto it, just like the Nook Color... only Fire will have much more powerful hardware.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    It will be "cracked" within a week, and fully functional android ported onto it, just like the Nook Color... only Fire will have much more powerful hardware.
    That's a really good point. I am debating whether I want to go that route. I might be content with the offerings it has already.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

You could always flash the Nook back to original software, so there's no loss, really. Let's wait and see how it turns out in real life first.

So what's the deal with PDF support on Kindle these days, anyway? Is it now completely unrestricted? I've been having a hard time finding a clear answer, especially from Amazon itself.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    So what's the deal with PDF support on Kindle these days, anyway? Is it now completely unrestricted? I've been having a hard time finding a clear answer, especially from Amazon itself.
    I'll let you know on November 18th.

I still like this thread title

Let me know when the lighted case for $79 kindle is available. Right now, I store my Kindle in a stocking cap while traveling, 'cause I'll be damned if I'm buying multiple cases for it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

<3

Our Prime Instant Video team is on a roll. Today, we're announcing an agreement with Disney-ABC that adds 800 popular titles from ABC Studios, The Disney Channel, ABC Family, and Marvel. These new titles will bring the total to almost 13,000 TV shows and movies — all available for unlimited instant streaming.

The popular series Lost and Grey’s Anatomy will be ready for streaming tomorrow. Then, we’ll add other favorites including Felicity, The Disney Channel’s Phineas & Ferb, Marvel’s X-Men Evolution, and ABC Family shows like Greek and episodes from the most current season of The Secret Life of the American Teenager.

Disney-ABC joins recently announced deals with FOX, CBS, NBC-Universal, and PBS — just to name a few. We’ve added shows like Arrested Development, Firefly, The X-Files, every series of Star Trek, and Prison Break. You can watch on over 300 different devices, including our new Kindle Fire. Instant video streaming is a new benefit of Amazon Prime and is brought to you at no additional cost — Prime membership remains $79 a year.

First full review of the Fire

Highlights

1. Battery life watching video was 7+ hours (better than advertised)
    2. Silk has good performance, but not quite as remarkable as advertised
    3. Solid build
    4. Comic book reading:

So, what's the reading experience like here on the Fire? Occasionally great, but it can't shake the occasional clumsiness that muddies things here.

As with magazines, text is often squashed too small to be read -- even if its drawn in bold, sure penstrokes. Shockingly, though, you can't pinch-zoom to get a closer look! You have to double-tap on whatever section of the screen you want a closer look at. You then get a popup window with a closer view of that section and, from there, you can tap or swipe your way from one panel to the next. This is a little annoying if you just want to zoom in on one section and then zoom back out again, but it sure beats not being able to read the text.

Other than that annoyance comics are a great addition. The Fire's screen does a great job recreating the bold colors and simple lines that make them such a joy to read.
    Bottom Line:

The Kindle Fire is quite an achievement at $200. It's a perfectly usable tablet that feels good in the hand and has a respectably good looking display up front. Yes, power users will find themselves a little frustrated with what they can and can't do on the thing without access to the Android Market but, in these carefree days of cloud-based apps ruling the world, increasingly all you need is a good browser. That the Fire has.

When stacked up against other popular tablets, the Fire can't compete. Its performance is a occasionally sluggish, its interface often clunky, its storage too slight, its functionality a bit restricted and its 7-inch screen too limiting if you were hoping to convert all your paper magazine subscriptions into the digital ones. Other, bigger tablets do it better -- usually at two or three times the cost.

and Kindle Touch Review

Not as positive.

Despite apocalyptic conclusions predicting the death of dedicated e-readers in the face of competition from tablets, the battle is as heated as ever. Amazon alone is currently offering three such devices: the fourth-generation Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Keyboard. So, does the Touch manage to stand head and shoulders above the rest? In a word, "naw." There's a lot to like here, including a dual-touch display, X-Ray search feature, audio functionality and a 3G option, but there's nothing here that would make us want to dump our Nook, Sony WiFi reader, Kobo or even Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle Touch is as good as any touch reader out there, but there's nothing particularly exceptional about it -- including pricing.

Here's a pretty cool demo of the comic book app

It doesn't look as fluid as I'd hoped.

I just ordered the Illustrated Gormenghast from Amazon. For standard shipping, 2-5 days, the cost was $11. To have it delivered in ~8 hours cost me $9.

I just ordered the Illustrated Gormenghast from Amazon. For standard shipping, 2-5 days, the cost was $11. To have it delivered in ~8 hours cost me $9.
    If you had prime it would be free.

If you had prime it would be free.
    It's $3.99 for Express Local delivery for Prime users.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200105970

Free 2nd day (if you didn't care about getting it in 48 hours rather than 24 hours)
    It’s how I order 99% of my Amazon stuff.
    I even have water delivered to my house for free. It’s also on a subscription based schedule, so not only do I not need to worry about it when I go to the grocery store, but It’s cheaper.

<3 Amazon

I even have water delivered to my house for free.
    Yeah, so do I.

It comes out the taps in both my kitchen and bathroom. I put it in "cups" and then I drink it.

Yeah, so do I.

It comes out the taps in both my kitchen and bathroom. I put it in "cups" and then I drink it.
    Well I meant coconut water. As well as my Whey protein mix.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Yeah, so do I.

Way to rub your luxuries in everyone's faces, Davis. Jeez man.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Way to rub your luxuries in everyone's faces, Davis. Jeez man.
    I'm livin' large (in my one bedroom, 650 sq. ft. apartment).

I've even got a ceiling fan.

Played with my Fire last night. Couple of things I really like:

1. The bookshelf home screen. you can add and remove favorite books, movies, music, apps to have direct access to them. Very clever.
    2. Love the size of this thing. I think it really is a great fit for media junkies as well as fully functional eReader.
    3. The comic book app is sweet and I totally subscribed to the Walking Dead issues.
    4. The newsstand is nice too, except see below.

Things I don't like:
    1. No WSJ app. WTF?
    2. No WSJ selection from the newsstand. I don’t get this. At all.
    3. No build in Calendar
    4. Gmail app appears to be broken. Doesn’t show most messages and you can’t filter them into folders, labels or star them.

so duke, can this thing play avi files? read cbr/cbz (non-proprietary comic files)?

it's looking like i have to convert files to one of the limited file types the thing reads, which removes one of the selling points of android over ios

i love that i can just drag and drop avi files i've downloaded onto my phone without having to go through some video converting software to make sure it can play the damn thing

Here's a pretty cool demo of the comic book app

It doesn't look as fluid as I'd hoped.
    Oy, I don't like that at all. No thank you. I knew the screen would be too small to function right.

Even 10" tablets is a little less than ideal for me to read comics on, but hell, why would you go smaller than that?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

i've read comics on my phone, which is only 3.5 inches wide and have had no problem (though not ideal)

i still read floppies, so i'm not expecting this to become my primary method of reading comics, just a way to read series that i don't feel like spending money on (which is why i'm asking the cbr/cbz question). and 4.7 inches wide is enough for me

I can't do it. Constantly zooming in and out not only drives me crazy, but it really does a disrespect to the artist's layout of the page. It's like looking at a painting through a doggy door.

It's different if we're talking comic strips, or a webcomic specifically designed for a screen in mind, but I think these comic pages, because they're meant for print, should be seen all at once. You're already sacrificing the power of the two-page spread, why sacrifice further?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast