Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amazon Thread (or, for Duke, the I Love Bezos Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Amazon Thread (or, for Duke, the I Love Bezos Thread)

Kindle Fire

• backed up on the Amazon Cloud
    • full-color
    • touchscreen Kindle for movies, music, apps, games & reading
    • $199

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Silk Browser for Kindle - kind of like Opera, using Amazon's massive servers to preload content for major increases in browsing speed.

This is awesome stuff. Sure, Amazon is directly attacking Apple on their own turf, but it's all much more appealing in every possible way.

Yeah, very nice. I'd take this over an iPad if I didn't already have a bunch of books purchased on my iPhone's iBook. Though I'm sure I can find a way to convert them. Hm.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

two things I want to learn:

1. Battery Life
    2. 3G version later?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I would assume, considering it's Amazon, that Netflix isn't a compatible app for the Fire. If it does work, I'd seriously consider grabbing one of these, as my wife has kind of taken ownership over my other Kindle.

Wonder if that'll drive down the price of the iPad. Great pricepoint. Will probably wait for version two to come out to knock out the bugs.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

No, what will drive down the price of iPad 2 is when iPad 3 comes out next year.

Apple has never lowered prices because of competition, since there are still people who prefer Apple products despite the competition being cheaper (or even arguably better).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Pre-ordered w/ leather case - I'm excited. I don't care if it doesn't support Netflix because I have Prime. Netflix will also be bought by Amazon soon anyway...

One annoyance I can see is there is NO physical button for sound volume It's built into the task bar.

Get it? Kindle....Fire?

Those guys at Amazon are pretty clever if you ask me.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Netflix will also be bought by Amazon soon anyway...
    Looks like Hulu is up first.

That article is a month old. It was reported earlier than that Google was more interested in Hulu

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    No, what will drive down the price of iPad 2 is when iPad 3 comes out next year.

Apple has never lowered prices because of competition, since there are still people who prefer Apple products despite the competition being cheaper (or even arguably better).
    Amazon is the first contender with a comparable (or even larger in places) ecosystem, and enough power behind everything to be able to pull off something like this. In this situation, especially if it turns out that it all actually works, Apple will quickly run out of excuses for their pricing. I mean, at this point it's pretty much down to "but it's iOS", "Netflix works" and "I have so much invested already". The hardware is comparable, with Amazon and others offering more choice, and for this class of devices Android is at least equally usable.

An article stressing that a second-gen will be released in the first quarter of 2012. If true, that's going to piss a lot of people off right from the start.

Amazon Prime...

How's the instant streaming on it? Do they have newer stuff quicker then Netflix?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I mean, at this point it's pretty much down to "but it's iOS", "Netflix works" and "I have so much invested already". The hardware is comparable, with Amazon and others offering more choice, and for this class of devices Android is at least equally usable.

I have to admit that, despite not being an Apple Fanboy by any means (i had an iPhone 3G, swapped it for an Infuse), I still got an iPad2 because after thinking about it, I just didn't care about the customization of the Android. I liked iOS, I liked that it just worked, and yes, "Netflix works" is a big reason for my final decision.

That said, The Kindle Fire looks slick. My parents were already looking at possibly getting a tablet and I think this'll be right up their alley.

If I didnt have a tablet already, I'd consider it myself.

Why is everyone using this "Netflix works" in quotes?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Without 3G, this first-gen is rather useless to me as an upgrade. I rarely remember to download things other than books in advance.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Yeah. I mostly shop online for the convenience. I swear to God.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    We've been paying Amazon state tax here in Arizona for like six months now and it hasn't curbed my spending in the slightest.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Yeah, easily the number one reason I shop on Amazon as much as I do is that I can almost find anything I'm looking for without leaving my home. I can drive 15 minutes to the store and find that they either don't carry what I'm looking for or it's out of stock. Next would be prices. Almost always cheaper on Amazon, regardless of sales tax.

I very rarely buy items that are enough money for sales tax to bother me. An extra $6 on a $100 purchase? That's fine by me if I can always find what I'm looking for at a reasonable price, and not have to deal with traffic and people in the process. Yes, I'm a misanthrope.

That sales tax will also go back into the state, which is nice. Amazon should open up something in Utah.

AmazonFresh had no sales tax, which was weird. But hey, no sales tax on groceries, nice.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I can't remember a time that I've shopped online and not had to pay provicial sales tax or harmonized sales tax in Canada. It was always just part of the deal.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Wait, I've always gotten taxed on Amazon purchases. Is that just a CA and NY thing? There's literally no difference in price for me to buy like a laptop on Amazon or at Best Buy. I prefer to get it from Amazon because who the fuck wants to physically go into a Best Buy? lol

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Wait, I've always gotten taxed on Amazon purchases. Is that just a CA and NY thing? There's literally no difference in price for me to buy like a laptop on Amazon or at Best Buy. I prefer to get it from Amazon because who the fuck wants to physically go into a Best Buy? lol
    Amazon has always taxed CA because they had a huge warehouse there. NY has a state law where any online site taxes NY residents. So whether or not Amazon has a presence in the state is moot.

Massachusetts just started taxing in November because Amazon bought a MA business, Kiva systems. (robots shipping stuff). But I've been buying shit tax free from Amazon since 01. Hence my recent complaints.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast