Maybe:

Suicide Squad
    Superman
    Swamp Thing
    Men of War
    Batwoman
    Batman
    DC Universe Presents: Deadman

I recognize the wonkiness of a definite OMAC and a maybe Superman given my prospective ratings. But believe it, baby.

i was underwhelmed by justice league dark, but i actually really enjoyed all-star western. i like how it plays off the gates of gotham, the return of bruce wayne and gotham by gaslight. i've never read a jonah hex book before, but i dug it. also, the art was gorgeous.

issue #2s i intend to read.

Action Comics
    Animal Man
    Batman
    Batwoman
    Demon Knights
    Swamp Thing

and i'll probably give Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark another shot more out of allegiance to the creators than the strength of the #1s. i thought Batgirl and All-Star Western were enjoyable but i'm not sure i will bother keeping up with them month to month. Justice League, Detective Comics and Frankenstein just didn't do anything for me. i think that covers everything i've read.

I love George Perez.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Hey E, if I download the digital copies from DC's website, is it stored on my HD, or does it just give me access to it on their website? Would I be able to transfer the comic to another computer?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Hey E, if I download the digital copies from DC's website, is it stored on my HD, or does it just give me access to it on their website? Would I be able to transfer the comic to another computer?
    As far as I've figured, you can only get it by logging into the website. I haven't tried saving it to my own computer yet.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    As far as I've figured, you can only get it by logging into the website. I haven't tried saving it to my own computer yet.
    With that... I'm really glad 8 spoiled that awful look of Dark Knight, cause I got a comic I wouldn't have otherwise...

All-Star Western - might be my favorite out of the whole "New 52." Exactly what I want out of a comic. A story that doesn't mind just throwing characters into a new situation instead of showing how they got their powers, etc. Good artwork, and nothing cheesy or over the top in the panels. Yeah. I dug this a ton.

Superman - As mentioned, not a big Superman fan. This wasn't something I was intending on getting, but with Dark Knight out of the way, I was poised for something. Sven's 4-star rating caught my eye, and boy, this was actually quite good too. An advanced Superman story, so it felt like you were brought right in, and a hell of a way to start. Damn.

Flash - Booooo... Who cares.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

With that... I'm really glad 8 spoiled that awful look of Dark Knight, cause I got a comic I wouldn't have otherwise...

All-Star Western - might be my favorite out of the whole "New 52." Exactly what I want out of a comic. A story that doesn't mind just throwing characters into a new situation instead of showing how they got their powers, etc. Good artwork, and nothing cheesy or over the top in the panels. Yeah. I dug this a ton.

Superman - As mentioned, not a big Superman fan. This wasn't something I was intending on getting, but with Dark Knight out of the way, I was poised for something. Sven's 4-star rating caught my eye, and boy, this was actually quite good too. An advanced Superman story, so it felt like you were brought right in, and a hell of a way to start. Damn.

Flash - Booooo... Who cares.
    So....

STICKING WITH:
    Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Animal Man
    Superman
    All-Star Western
    Batman
    Batwoman
    Batgirl

MAYBE....:
    Swamp Thing

EW...:
    Suicide Squad
    Men of War
    Flash
    Batman & Robin
    Wonder Woman

Anything I should check out last minute?

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    The biggest surprise was Aquaman
    Not I, Vampire? People are calling it the sleeper hit of the whole relaunch, and you seem to think it's good, too.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    EW...:
    Flash
    Wonder Woman
    This is just crazy talk, those are 2 of the most fun issues out of the whole relaunch. Otherwise, out of my favorites you're missing Demon Knights and Justice League Dark.

I've been posting reviews of all the New 52 titles and I've done the last week now:
    http://thinkinginpanels.blogspot.com...r-28-2011.html

Not interested in Teen Titans because Lobdell = meh, but ha, I love the idea of Tim Drake being behind wikileaks.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Not I, Vampire? People are calling it the sleeper hit of the whole relaunch, and you seem to think it's good, too.
    Yeah, on further consideration, I think higher of it. It was kind of a difficult read. Temporally jumbled story with projected dialogue at the service of a vampire romance. My brain was seriously fighting it, but two-thirds of the way through, it all started clicking and understanding, as well as emotion and good will, began to cascade through me. "This is a good book."

So yeah, you're probably right that it was a bigger surprise.

I think my problem with Aquaman is that it's too much of an apologia. Johns basically crammed every criticism anyone can have about Aquaman and actively refutes them. It came across as desperate to me.

"Talking to fish is stupid."
    "NO I DON'T TALK TO FISH FISH ARE STUPID I TELL THEM WHAT TO DO."

"You know, nobody thinks you're cool."
    "YEAH WELL I'M STILL HERE HELPING PEOPLE ANYWAY. DO YOU FEEL GUILTY NOW?"

Meh. I do admit, though, that it was surprisingly funny and fast for a Johns book. He's usually too stoic to enjoy.
    Movie Theater Diary

I agree with number8 on Aquaman. It really hammers the Aquaman-is-a-punchline thing home, and all Aquaman himself does is glare at everyone while they make fun of him. It's pretty silly. It's not a bad issue but so far Johns seems to be setting up the hero to be a bit of a humorless jerk. The flashes of horror setup at the beginning and the end were much more promising to me than the bulk of the rest of the issue.

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    It's not a bad issue but so far Johns seems to be setting up the hero to be a bit of a humorless jerk.
    Well, that's always been a bit of an Aquaman trait. An aggressive loner with no patience for BS, which is why he's such a great foil on team books. But the image of the character from this issue that has resonated with me is that of his pensive stare against a backdrop of ocean through the glass of a seafood restaurant window.

Made a pull list at our comic book store for my son. He's getting Action, Demon Knights, The Flash, and Swamp Thing, with the caveat that I have to read the issues first to make sure they're appropriate.

We're doing this as an incentive with school. Each week that he comes home without any grade lower than a B, he gets whatever new issues came out that week.

I'm going to be getting other titles digitally. Haven't decided which ones yet.

If you're gonna get some for yourself, make sure you get Batman and Batwoman, yo.
    Movie Theater Diary

Read the four comics. Would rate them as such:

1. Swamp Thing (this was awesome)
    2. Demon Knights (cool opening, sets up an interesting premise)
    3. Action Comics ("cocky" young Supes seems like a stale premise, but I liked the writing)
    4. The Flash (meh to both the art and the writing)

So far, nothing objectionable. My son already devoured all four as well. He LOVED Swamp Thing, liked Action and Demon Knights (but he thought this was a bit slow), and was indifferent toward The Flash.

So glad both you and your son dug "Swamp Thing", KF!! I think it may be my favorite of the bunch so far (the only thing that may best it is "Batwoman").

I wasn't sure about the gruesome ending - if you would worry about your son reading that. I guess it wasn't a problem.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I wasn't sure about the gruesome ending - if you would worry about your son reading that. I guess it wasn't a problem.
    Nah, that wasn't too gruesome. He has cousins (one of whom is only six) that can play pretty much any video game they want, and are always telling him about Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead and the like, so he's pretty "zombie" obsessed, and always feels left out when they're telling him about that stuff. This will give him a little bit of ammo the next time they're around.

Yeah, maybe sevenarts can illuminate The Flash issue a little more...? It's so limp. Talk about a nothing hook: oh no! Many Manuels! How is this supposed to interest me when the Flash is a master of dimensional space and can time travel? Not to mention that opening action scene where he appears to be moving way too slowly. I like Manapul's art, sure, but a writer I fear he is woefully not.

KF, I'm happy to hear of your experience and set-up. Many people are grumbly and dismissive of the reboot, but I've also heard too many stories like yours to be pessimistic. Plus, more comics is a categorical positive.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I haven't been reading any of the new DC 52 but I have been reading this thread and checking the usual sites to hear about peoples thoughts on them.

ifanboy a comic site I respect and have been going to for a long time gave The Flash their "book of the week" award. It's interesting seeing the wildly different perspectives on sites and then here.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Yeah I loved The Flash. The art is gorgeous, and not just in a "oh it's a bunch of pretty drawings" kind of way - this is really sophisticated visual storytelling. Like the page I highlighted where the Flash falls into the sewer and the middle column of panels shows his progress. I like that in order to communicate speed, Manapul has, paradoxically, slowed things down so that many of the action scenes give the impression of catching glimpses of the Flash frozen at a particular instant, then another instant, then another. The effect is a little like Muybridge's rapid-succession motion photos, and that sense of movement is really important in a comic about a super-fast man. I love the busy, detailed page where the Flash, out of costume, darts all around his apartment doing various domestic chores even while trying to figure out what's going on. I love the way Manapul shows the slight dazed smile on Flash's face and then follows it with a big panel of Iris looking down on him through the hole he made in the ground, so that at first we think Flash is just dazed from the fall and then the real source of the smile becomes clear. I think this is just first-class superhero comics: fun, funny, fast-paced and with just enough character beats to suggest that there's a real guy under the mask.

The bad guys initially seem a little generic, so I can understand being somewhat disappointed in that, but the twist at the end points the way forward to some fun sci-fi shenanigans. Not every superhero comic has to be about facing some huge, overpowering threat. I thought this was just a joy to read, especially since so many of the other New 52 titles are really conservative and backward-looking in terms of art. This is a comic that takes full advantage of the visual possibilities of a speeding hero, and that's all the hook I need.

I'm squeezing these in between school work, so extra commentary probably won't happen too often. What I've read so far:

Loved:
    Batman
    Batwoman
    All Star Western
    Swamp Thing

Liked:
    Justice League Dark
    Demon Knights
    Action Comics

Indifferent:
    Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
    The Flash

Disliked:
    Catwoman

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    I like that in order to communicate speed, Manapul has, paradoxically, slowed things down so that many of the action scenes give the impression of catching glimpses of the Flash frozen at a particular instant, then another instant, then another. The effect is a little like Muybridge's rapid-succession motion photos, and that sense of movement is really important in a comic about a super-fast man
    How many Flash comics have you read? Because that motion-photo technique has been the standard method of communicating his speed since his inception, pretty much. Definitely not invented by Manapul.

I love the busy, detailed page where the Flash, out of costume, darts all around his apartment doing various domestic chores even while trying to figure out what's going on.
    Shots like these are a Flash standard. Manapul renders gorgeously, but he's not breaking any molds.

Woot for All-Star Western.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast