Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Comics Thread

I saw that one. I'm talking about this 2012 "event". If it's supposed to be 12 issues, then it's going to climax in 2013 at this point.

it's on diamond's upcoming releases list for the 21st

omgicantwait

I know I've got it on my pull list.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Batwoman is, as has been, ravishing. A happy instance of the form elevating the material.

Demon Knights gets mega-props for flair and originality, and is a book that I will likely follow to its finish.

I'm pleased that the books with which I've opted to stick, ten in all, are of a superlative ilk. No settling.

I'm down to just Batwoman and Swamp Thing. Haven't read #4 of the latter yet, but I was pleased with how erotic Williams and Blackman managed to make the [
    ] between Maggie and Kate even as they avoided blatant lipstick lesbian action. And Flamingbird's inability to be ready for the battle poses a level of responsibility that, while cliched, will likely affect Kate's relationship from here on. I'm looking forward to seeing the wrap-up of this narrative next month.

I like the whole panels in Batwoman's cape double-spread. Cool. Cool cool cool.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I like the whole panels in Batwoman's cape double-spread. Cool. Cool cool cool.
    My favorite spread this month is probably the title page, with just the two images of the assault aftermath and the climax. Effusive and downright effective.

So my local comic shop screwed up my pull list again, as I didn't get my copy of "Demon Knights" #4 (which I pre-paid for).

I'm very, very strongly considering asking for my money back on all of the pre-paids I have coming up, and no longer shopping there.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So my local comic shop screwed up my pull list again, as I didn't get my copy of "Demon Knights" #4 (which I pre-paid for).

I'm very, very strongly considering asking for my money back on all of the pre-paids I have coming up, and no longer shopping there.
    Sounds like more stress than it's worth (which is to cast no aspersions on the worthiness of Demon Knights, #4 in particular, being an excellent issue). I would just purchase from their shelves and ask them to special order issues that sell out. Don't know what distribution is like in Canada, though. Talking to the Canadians I get in my store (mostly from BC), I'd wager it's substantially weaker, so that may not be viable.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Sounds like more stress than it's worth (which is to cast no aspersions on the worthiness of Demon Knights, #4 in particular, being an excellent issue). I would just purchase from their shelves and ask them to special order issues that sell out. Don't know what distribution is like in Canada, though. Talking to the Canadians I get in my store (mostly from BC), I'd wager it's substantially weaker, so that may not be viable.

Yeah, it's not too good. I'm considering just going digital, then buying the trades of the ones I really dig.

I spoke with John (the owner) on the phone last night about the problem, and he was very understanding and said that basically, other than him (he's owned the place for more than 10 years) the entire staff is new. As in, was hired within the last month. VERY new. So a lot of mistakes are being made and he has lost clientele because of it.

I still haven't received my copies of "Punisher" #3 and "Ultimate Spider-Man" #3. I have all the other issues except those two, which mysteriously disappeared from my bin.

So I can't really even read the ones I have. I'm not going to read 4 and up if I haven't read 3, you know what I mean?

So I'm wanting to check out some more Gail Simone stuff beyond "Secret Six" and her current "Batgirl" stuff.

How were her "Birds of Prey" and "Wonder Woman" runs?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I didn't really care for her Wonder Woman but Birds of Prey (not just her run the original Chuck Dixon stuff also) is one of my alltime favorite books.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Cool! Duely noted. Thanks, EWO. Throwing them on my queue.

I liked her WW enough, but if I remember right, she had to follow Allan Heinberg's stupid, late and unfinished status-quo changing storyline, and then got interrupted by the Amazons Attack crossover. BoP and SS are her best work because they're mostly left out of the big stuff and she could do whatever she wanted.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm pretty sure my mind is currently in the process of being destroyed by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham. Oh my goodness.

So Batman. Issue four here reveals that [
    ] Aggravatingly inconsistent. I'm all for slow, dramatic trickling in of relevant information, but this is preposterous. Which is a shame, because the big picture is still exciting.

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I'm pretty sure my mind is currently in the process of being destroyed by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham. Oh my goodness.
    Yeah this was really something. As usual with this super-dense and elliptical Morrison style, I got maybe half of it, if I'm lucky, on first read. Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

Interesting that this issue was explicitly set before the New 52, which was necessary because it had the Stephanie Brown evil school stuff. I wonder if the whole rest of the saga will also be pre-New 52. That'd be interesting, a publisher putting out a story that has been written out of continuity before it even starts. Otherwise, though, thinking about the Morrison bat-saga starting in the old universe and wrapping up in the new one just gives me a headache.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I liked her WW enough, but if I remember right, she had to follow Allan Heinberg's stupid, late and unfinished status-quo changing storyline, and then got interrupted by the Amazons Attack crossover. BoP and SS are her best work because they're mostly left out of the big stuff and she could do whatever she wanted.
    Allen Heinberg only did the first four issues and Simone didn't take over until issue 13. They had Jodi Picoult and a couple other people on the book before Simone. And Amazons Attack was already done before she started on the book. I don't think the problems with her Wonder Woman was that she couldn't do what she wanted it just wasn't as good as her other stuff.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Danny the Street is a member on the new Teen Titans?!! Why am I not reading this book.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

well, regardless of what you think of scott lobdell, brett booth's art is hideous

Wow, issue 1 of "Leviathan Strikes" is huge.

Why does the cover say it's a one-shot?

Because it is...
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Because it is...

I thought this was supposed to be a 12 month run?

Weren't you and Sven talking about it just a few posts back? Sven pointed out that if it's a 12 month run just starting now / January, it'll be climaxing in 2013.

"leviathan strikes" is essentially just batman inc #9 and #10

"batman: leviathan" starts next year

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    "leviathan strikes" is essentially just batman inc #9 and #10

"batman: leviathan" starts next year

Ah, see I didn't realize that "Leviathan" and "Leviathan Strikes" were two separate things.

I thought this issue called "Leviathan Strikes" was like a mega issue #1 for the "Leviathan" storyline.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Progress report:

I'm getting progressively disheartened with the increasingly rushed look of Captain Atom. The first two issues were a grand step up for Williams II, but it looks like he needs longer than a month to refine the style he has developed. Thankfully Adam's still an intriguing character, and one can't quite predict where the narrative is going, which is always a plus.

Swamp Thing is cool, but with this and Batman 4, I'm starting to chafe against Snyder's shortcomings. He's super good with plot, but his expository bone is in dire need of setting. With artists Paquette, Capullo, and Rudy, he gets beautiful, dynamic pages that thankfully distract from the onslaught of clunky information, but I'm less enamored at this point.

Batman: Odyssey and Batman: Leviathan showcase many a great and crazy idea. I reread all of Batman Incorporated, practically poring over every panel, parsing out problems, puzzling over Morrison's piecemeal schematics. Immensely fun, but I've ended up with more questions than answers, damn the man. And Odyssey features a materialized Deadman whacking flesh-hungry subterranean trolls with a frying pan. Which is cool, but it's also interesting that Adams thrusts Batman into a war scenario and peers at the morality of killing even in battle situations.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast