Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Comics Thread

looks like he's started using an ink wash, ala scott kolins

just not a fan at all of his stylized art

Is Captain Atom basically the one guy from the Watchmen?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Is Captain Atom basically the one guy from the Watchmen?
    Doc Manhattan was created when Moore wasn't allowed to use Captain Atom by DC. All of the Watchmen characters are thinly-veiled analogues to existing DC characters.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Christ, the sex scene in Catwoman was trashy. I'm not sure how I feel about Selina not knowing that Batman is Bruce anymore. That fucks up their wonderful time in Batman Inc, and me no gusta.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I kind of love that art. Colour palette is gorgeous.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

picked up DC Presents Deadman & GL Corps last night. Can't wait to read 'em.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

So, I just did Batman and Wonder Woman this week.

Wonder Woman is quite the disappointment in all ways. The cover is pretty awesome, but the art inside seems to stray from that, and it's a pretty corny story. I'll be staying away from that one.

There's 4-6 that I want next week.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hmm...gotta say I dug "Wonder Woman" quite a bit.

But yikes, "Catwoman" was awful.

My store is mysteriously burdened with Batwoman overstock. Why so few are buying this one, a rare title featuring quality work directly proportional to commercial hype and criticial favor, is a mystery.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    My store is mysteriously burdened with Batwoman overstock. Why so few are buying this one, a rare title featuring quality work directly proportional to commercial hype and criticial favor, is a mystery.
    Never knew there was a Batwoman until these came out. The title itself sounds kinda dumb. For newcomers, myself included, we'll probably go straight to the titles that we recognize.

Blue Beetle, Grifter, Demon Wars....... Waiting.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wow, first issue of DC Presents was pretty good! Gonna have to add it to the pull list methinks.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    That's really sad to hear. It's one of the best titles in the whole relaunch. It baffles me that people are still sleeping on this book since the Detective Comics run was so highly acclaimed and its return has been so anticipated by anyone who read those Rucka/Williams issues.

You know what's bugging me? I feel like Batman and Detective should be reversed.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting sevenarts (view post)
    That's really sad to hear. It's one of the best titles in the whole relaunch.
    Agreed.

Also, welcome aboard!

Agreed.

Also, welcome aboard!
    Thanks! I was reading through the comics discussion here and decided to join. The DC relaunch has got me reading more comics on a weekly basis than ever before, and I'm itching to talk about them all.

The DC relaunch has got me reading more comics on a weekly basis than ever before, and I'm itching to talk about them all.
    Rad. Which have been your favorites? Surprises? Disappointments?

If you've been reading my blurbs, you pretty much know my positions, but to condense, the biggest surprises for me so far have been Captain Atom, which I love more every time I look at it, and Suicide Squad, the bashing it's been given both warranted and overkill (apt given the book's nature, I guess), but I thought it was structured terrifically to introduce character, tone, and style, even if it was light on plot. I also dug Men of War.

Biggest disappointments have been Wonder Woman, which hopefully will become clearer with more issues, and Batman and Robin, which looked nice, but could not stir me. I also wanted to like JLI, but I just could not.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    You know what's bugging me? I feel like Batman and Detective should be reversed.

How so? Not sure what you mean here.

Rad. Which have been your favorites? Surprises? Disappointments?
    My favorites so far have been Animal Man, Wonder Woman, and Batwoman, all three of those are just great, inventive, and a ton of fun. I've seen a few people here and elsewhere express disappointment with Wonder Woman and just cannot get that at all, that was one I was looking forward to based on the creative team and it exceeded my (high) expectations. It's a good balance of horror with a more light-hearted action tone, and I can't wait for more.

Biggest surprise so far was Demon Knights - I knew nothing about it and thought Paul Cornell's Stormwatch was only OK, but this was really great. I was also surprised to find that Catwoman and Green Lantern Corps, neither of which I thought would be any good, were actually pretty fun.

Biggest disappointment was Red Lanterns, not because I really thought it would be good but because I hoped it would be since Peter Milligan is one of my favorites. I'm hoping his Justice League Dark is better than that. (Though you liked it, right?)

For me, "Batwoman", "Swamp Thing" and "Batman" have been the most impressive titles so far.

Can't wait to get my hands on "Justice League Dark".

By the way, sevenarts, a big welcome to you!

Our comic talk can be sparse because there are only a handful of us on this forum who are really "in to" them, so it's great to see another addition to the conversation!

Biggest disappointment was Red Lanterns, not because I really thought it would be good but because I hoped it would be since Peter Milligan is one of my favorites. I'm hoping his Justice League Dark is better than that. (Though you liked it, right?)
    Oh, absolutely loved it. I've been tickling with the idea of writing a piece called "Why Red Lanterns is good comics," but my priorities right now are not such that I could expend the effort such an endeavor deserves. But in short, I think it is functionally brilliant as an opening chapter, establishing a bold emotional spectrum tying pain and delirious anger to a promising scope of a violent sci-fi morality parable, all the while flowing like a Milligan comic, shifting perspective but tying things together with suggestive, minimal exposition. Probably my favorite aspect relates to the sequence with the two brothers: which brother is going to become the red lantern when the nebulous feelings of rage, disappointment, and loss are equal (though differently directed) in both?

One of these times, I'll develop my thoughts into something more coherent. But I'm sure JLD will be excellent.

Tomorrow's purchases:
    All-Star Western
    Dark Knight
    Flash

Savage Hawkman and Voodoo I'm curious about.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

justice league dark and all-star western are the only two i intend to read this week. unless something else gets really good buzz.

Hahaha, the ending of The Dark Knight #1 is epicly stupid. Glad I'm not picking that shit up.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast