Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Upcoming Pixar/Disney Discussion Thread

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    It is weird that two Pixars in a row have the premises of Tim Schaeffer games.
    Psychonauts? I should really download it on PSN.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

I never knew Psychonauts had that premise until now.

Sigh.

BURBANK, Calif. (April 2, 2013) – When Dory said “just keep swimming” in 2003’s Oscar®-winning film “Finding Nemo,” she could not have imagined what was in store for her (not that she could remember). Ellen DeGeneres, voice of the friendly-but-forgetful blue tang fish, revealed details today about Disney•Pixar’s “Finding Dory”—an all-new big-screen adventure diving into theaters on Nov. 25, 2015.

“I have waited for this day for a long, long, long, long, long, long time,” said DeGeneres. “I’m not mad it took this long. I know the people at Pixar were busy creating ‘Toy Story 16.’ But the time they took was worth it. The script is fantastic. And it has everything I loved about the first one: It’s got a lot of heart, it’s really funny, and the best part is—it’s got a lot more Dory.”

Director and Pixar veteran Andrew Stanton takes audiences back to the extraordinary underwater world created in the original film. “There is no Dory without Ellen,” said Stanton. “She won the hearts of moviegoers all over the world—not to mention our team here at Pixar. One thing we couldn’t stop thinking about was why she was all alone in the ocean on the day she met Marlin. In ‘Finding Dory,’ she will be reunited with her loved ones, learning a few things about the meaning of family along the way.”

According to Stanton, “Finding Dory” takes place about a year after the first film, and features returning favorites Marlin, Nemo and the Tank Gang, among others. Set in part along the California coastline, the story also welcomes a host of new characters, including a few who will prove to be a very important part of Dory’s life.

“Finding Nemo” won the 2003 Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature; the film was nominated for three additional Oscars® (Best Writing, Original Screenplay; Best Music, Original Score; Best Sound Editing). It was also nominated for a Golden Globe® Award for Best Motion Picture–Comedy or Musical. In 2008, the American Film Institute named “Finding Nemo” among the top 10 greatest animated films ever made. At the time of its release, “Finding Nemo” was the highest grossing G-rated movie of all time. It’s currently the fourth highest grossing animated film worldwide. The film has more than 16 million Likes on Facebook, and Dory—with more than 24 million—is the most Liked individual character from a Disney or Disney•Pixar film.

DeGeneres’ distinctive comic voice has resonated with audiences from her first stand-up comedy appearances through her work today on television, in film and in the literary world. Her syndicated talk show, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” is in its 10th season and has earned 38 Daytime Emmy® Awards. DeGeneres has won 12 People’s Choice Awards and the Teen Choice Award for Choice Comedian for three consecutive years. Additionally, her show won two Genesis Awards and a GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Talk Show Episode. For her unforgettable turn as Dory, DeGeneres was nominated for an MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What's happening to Pixar? Really?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They just announced another sequel:

Directed by Spinal.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What's happening to Pixar? Really?
    Entropy.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Considering the (somewhat undeserved) bomb that was John Carter, I think Stanton was determined to play it safe this time around.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    They just announced another sequel:

Directed by Spinal.
    That's right. I'm going to send those bastards to hell where they belong.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Say what you will about the content of some of their recent stuff, but I'm consistently amazed with just how much Pixar's animation manages to improve every time around:

Dat lighting / shading.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Impressive; 2 and a half minutes of no jokes.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

A children's film playing off of a genre that was popular over 2 decades ago, and a life experience that its main audience won't experience for another decade or more.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    A children's film playing off of a genre that was popular over 2 decades ago, and a life experience that its main audience won't experience for another decade or more.
    College movies are exclusive to the 80's now?

I actually like the new trailer. I'm officially looking forward to it now.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    College movies are exclusive to the 80's now?
    That kind of nerds vs jocks one is.

Yeah, agree with Winston here. This is a product of a lot of Pixar employees nee Animal House fans whose 80's infatuation fit into Pixar's "desperately-seeking-winning-formula" template, ala Toy Story, part n. Look at all the different monsters this time around...aren't they a lot like all the different types of toys and come to think of it, they're a lot like all the different nerds and jocks from...John Landis's Animal House...

Come on Pixar, get an orginal idea. Like you used to.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

The idea of a college movie aimed at kids is pretty ridiculous, nut not unprecedented. An Extremely Goofy Movie, for one.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Not Pixar but Disney.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Has this theory been discussed here before. I find it fascinating.

Harold and Maude (Hal Ashby, 1971)
    Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen, 2013)
    Wag the Dog (Barry Levinson, 1997)
    Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)
    Filth (Jon S. Baird, 2013)
    Sunshine on Leith (Dexter Fletcher, 2013)
    Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (Frank Tashlin, 1957)
    Kelly + Victor (Keiran Evans, 2012)
    We Are What We Are (Jim Mickle, 2013)
    The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)

Read Write Hand

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    This line doesn't make any sense "[Sequels] are part of the necessity of our staying afloat". I just looked up Pixar box office online and all their original films made tons of money so it's not like only their sequels are succeeding.

Out of their top 10 highest grossing films only three are sequels. The other 7 are original films.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    This line doesn't make any sense "[Sequels] are part of the necessity of our staying afloat". I just looked up Pixar box office online and all their original films made tons of money so it's not like only their sequels are succeeding.

Out of their top 10 highest grossing films only three are sequels. The other 7 are original films.
    Are 2 of those three the Toy Story sequels?

More than their grosses, I bet they're talking about extending brand life cycles for merchandising purposes.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    More than their grosses, I bet they're talking about extending brand life cycles for merchandising purposes.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is what Stanton meant. Same reason Disney makes crappy DTV sequels and half-assed TV series of almost all their properties (I still remember that abhorrent Lilo & Stitch TV show). They want their IPs to stay relevant.
    Movie Theater Diary

Wow, the ending of Finding Dory is being rewritten because of the Blackfish documentary.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...id=nytimesarts
    Movie Theater Diary

Speaking of which, I can't wait to see Blackfish.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Whoa, I didn't know The Good Dinosaur was coming out in the spring.

Pixar and dinosaurs = me excite.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast