Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Upcoming Pixar/Disney Discussion Thread

The Upcoming Pixar/Disney Discussion Thread

D23 is today and they just announced two big Pixar films.

The first one, to be directed by Bob Peterson (co-director of Up) and produced by John Walker, will be about dinosaurs. The movie, which does not have a title yet, asks the question - what if that life-changing asteroid missed Earth? The hilarious tale depicts a world where dinosaurs never went extinct. The movie is scheduled for November 27, 2013.

The second project, directed by Pete Docter (Up) and produced by Jonas Rivera, is about going inside your mind. That's all that was revealed, but it's coming May 30, 2014.
    They also have Brave coming out next summer and Monsters University (the prequel to Monster's Inc.) come out summer 2013.

They also announced a new Tangled project.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Obviously insufficient news about both Pixar projects to get me excited. Glad to see the immediate forecast doesn't contain Toy Story 4, Cars 2, or Monsters University Study Abroad: Meet Bonnie's Toys.

I'll be looking forward to the Docter one, whatever that is, since Monsters Inc. is one of my favorite animated films of the last decade.

Is the Tangled project this one? Tangled Ever After? Slash Film believes that to be a short, apparently, to air on the Disney channel next spring. You probably can't expect too much from a poster, but that poster makes it look kinda awful.

Oh, and I guess next fall there's gonna be a Disney CG movie called "Wreck-It Ralph"?

Quote Quoting CinemaBlend
    Their next movie, called Wreck-It-Ralph is a pretty brilliant premise. It’s about an 8-bit video game villain who sets out to prove he’s actually a good guy.
    CinemaBlend and I have different notions of what qualifies as "pretty brilliant."

Disney’s D23 expo is happening right now and they’ve been showing off Wreck-It-Ralph as part of their film presentation this morning. During the panel they’ve offered a few new details on the film, and even shown off some footage. Apparently the lead character, Wreck-It-Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) has joined a group called “Bad-Anon”, where video game villains get to talk about their issues. And at some point in the footage they showed Wreck-It gets a few witty retorts in. For instance when told “You’re nothing but a two-bit thug!” he responds “That’s where you’re wrong. I’m 8-Bit!”

As the story progresses at some point Wreck-It-Ralph will end up in a game called “Sugar Rush”, described as “a deceptively sweet world made all out of candy that holds a deceptive secret that could mean the end of the arcade.”

. . .

In addition to Reilly as Wreck-It-Ralph the movie features the voice talents of Sarah Silverman as Vanellope Von Schweetz, the hero of Sugar Rush, Jane Lynch as Sgt. Calhoun from a first person shooter, and Jack McBrayer as Fix-It-Felix. Expect it Wreck-It-Ralph in theaters November 2, 2012.
    Haha. Wow.

I like the premise of Wreck-It-Ralph. Definitely has potential. Now to say if the actually film will be good....

Also, I thought the Tangled short would be a theatrical one. Disney Channel? Fuck that shit.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I like the premise of Wreck-It-Ralph. Definitely has potential. Now to say if the actually film will be good....
    I'll of course withhold judgment until I see the film (or at least a trailer), but it sounds better suited to the premise for a shitty webcomic about videogames than a Walt Disney Feature Animation project. That one liner about being "8-bit" nearly killed my shit dead.

Next up is Monsters University, which features the return of Billy Crystal and John Goodman as their Monsters, Inc. characters Mike Wazowski and James "Sulley" Sullivan. Lasseter explained that the original film was driven so much by the friendship between the two characters, and so they wanted to head back and examine just how that friendship came about. To do that, Lasseter proclaimed that they got to make the first animated college movie.
    Excuse you, Lasseter.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Fans should show their outrage by spamming every fax machine at Pixar with full-page copies of that cover art.

Also, my brothers in Goofy Movie, is An Extremely Goofy Movie any good? I only saw it once when it was first released and it didn't leave much of an impression on me at all.

It wasn't really.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's terrible.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Though it does have an awesome scene where Goofy wins over a hot librarian with his disco dancing skills.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

I'm mostly excited about Brave, really. I'll see Monster's University on DVD, but in theaters? Nah.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

John Lasseter has gotten really good at bullshitting. He said they wouldn't do Monster's University unless they have a story worth telling. And then he reveals that the story is how Mike and Sulley became friends, as if that's something we've all wondered about. I'm pretty sure no one gave a shit before. Their friendship wasn't even the main theme of that movie.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    John Lasseter has gotten really good at bullshitting. He said they wouldn't do Monster's University unless they have a story worth telling. And then he reveals that the story is how Mike and Sulley became friends, as if that's something we've all wondered about. I'm pretty sure no one gave a shit before. Their friendship wasn't even the main theme of that movie.
    I disagree somewhat. There were scenes in the original that would not have played the same - or play well at all - if the two weren't obviously very close friends.

In fact, I think one of the reasons The Boo-Sulley thing works like it does (lets be honest, it was going to work anyway, but...) is Mike's feeling of betrayal.

At least that's how I saw it.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    It's terrible.
    Is Roxanne in the sequel?

Because I will watch it then.

Hawt, amirite?

Roxanne is not in the sequel.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    I disagree somewhat. There were scenes in the original that would not have played the same - or play well at all - if the two weren't obviously very close friends.

In fact, I think one of the reasons The Boo-Sulley thing works like it does (lets be honest, it was going to work anyway, but...) is Mike's feeling of betrayal.

At least that's how I saw it.
    Their friendship is absolutely critical to the film. The film communicates their relationship pretty well, so how they became friends, x number of years before the events of Monsters Inc. is not necessarily a story worth telling. I doubt many people watched the movie and said "Okay, I followed that for the most part, but how did these guys even become friends?" People have friends. That's pretty easy to accept.

It might still make a good movie, I guess. But the premise is the stuff of fanfiction.

The premise for the Monsters prequel wasn't compelling for me as well, hopefully they're holding up the best details for later because the film is still years away.

their original projects definitely caught my attention though, the "journey inside the mind" film sounds awesome.

And the gaming geek in me is curious about that Wreck-it Ralph flick despite the lame description.

The Upcoming Pixar Movies

Have no fear, after Monsters University, there's some good looking movies on the way:

2013:

Monsters University

2014:
    The Good Dinosaur
    What if the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct?

2015:
    Untitled Inside the Mind movie
    Then came art for director Pete Docter's Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind. The June 19, 2015 release is described as follows: From director Pete Docter ("Up," "Monsters, Inc.") and producer Jonas Rivera ("Up"), the inventive new film will take you to a place that everyone knows, but no one has ever seen: the world inside the human mind.

2016:
    Untitled Dia De Los Muertos

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Untitled Day of the Dead pixar film?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I thought we had Toy Story 4 and Finding Nemo 2 on the horizon?

I hope this is true, 'cause these look much better than just a bunch of boring sequels.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Untitled Day of the Dead pixar film?
    As in the Holiday.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    2015:
    Untitled Inside the Mind movie
    Then came art for director Pete Docter's Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind. The June 19, 2015 release is described as follows: From director Pete Docter ("Up," "Monsters, Inc.") and producer Jonas Rivera ("Up"), the inventive new film will take you to a place that everyone knows, but no one has ever seen: the world inside the human mind.

Sounds fascinating. Do we really have to endure two or three sequels before this one...
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    2016:
    Untitled Dia De Los Muertos
    Love the Grim Fandango look.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    Love the Grim Fandango look.
    It is weird that two Pixars in a row have the premises of Tim Schaeffer games.

Monsters Inc was great but I'm not going to see Monster's University.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast