Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: matchcut dream thread

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar

matchcut dream thread

So last night I had a very vivid dream. I was in a foreign country - it felt European, continental. France or Germany or Belgium. And I was in a large indoor market, waiting in line to get to a bakery's counter. They were selling cakes, and I needed one but I couldn't decide which one I wanted and they were all too expensive. There was a darjeeling limited-themed cake. That confused me. I wanted to try a slice of it, but people were getting upset because I seemed to be going through the waiting line in the wrong direction.

It was weird, and then my parents woke me up because I had to go move a chair into our basement. Sad: I wanted to see how it ended.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I had a dream the other night where a bunch of people and I were hiding in a multi-story library surrounded by a forest as the world was presumably being taken over by those aliens from The Thing, only they could turn quicker and their morphing powers weren't as powerful. Some of us tried to make a run for it into the forest, where we were ambushed and lost about half the group. Back in the library, people started to wander off and reappear without us being sure if it was really them or not. At one point I remembered that I left a backpack in one of the back aisles, so I went to get it alone and found myself surrounded by darkness, knowing that they were lurking where I couldn't see. It was profoundly scary, and yet I made my way back to the group before someone morphed into this giant monster. The rest of us who were left ran downstairs to one of the lower levels as things started crashing through the windows (which were all church-style windows for some reason), and right around the point where it felt totally hopeless, I woke up.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Ah, an adventure dream. I have quite a few of those. I can really picture the image of a library surrounded by forest. One of my most meaningful dreams took place inside of a monastery in a thick pine forest.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."

I had a dream where I smashed a Brad Pitt made out of Cinnabuns in the head with a jar of apricot marmalade. It's very strange, now that I think about it.

Was that a genuine dream, or are you just making up something that sounds weird to be funny?

Quote Quoting monolith94 (view post)
    Was that a genuine dream, or are you just making up something that sounds weird to be funny?
    It was very real. I've been having very vivid dreams lately due, I think in part, to the massive change my life is undergoing.

You'll have to forgive my skepticism; a brad pitt constructed of cinnabuns is the sort of surreal thing that just kind of sounds made up.

In fact, I wouldn't blame you for questioning my own "darjeeling limited" cake.

I keep having dreams where I make some silly mistake - say, making a joke that someone happens to find offensive - and it causes every single person in my life to loathe me.

By the end of the dreams, the people won't even acknowledge that I exist. I'll shout at them, scream, cry, throw things, and they'll just look at me, then turn back to whatever they were doing.

It may not sound like much, but I always wake up feeling incredibly depressed.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Someone called me this morning while I was still sleeping, then left a message because I was too lazy to answer my cell. I fell back asleep and dreamed I listened to the voicemail, except it turned out to be a video-mail. This team of Olympic athletes from somewhere in Africa was standing around a bar playing pool in their athletic jumpsuits. Then, one guy takes a wild shot, the cue ball goes off the table, hits another guy in the head, and the guy dies. Then I closed my cell phone.

The End.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Boy, I was having some very complex dreams this morning: dreamt about two people from college getting in a relationship, dreamt about driving on a highway that abruptly ended, so on and so forth... I wish I could remember all the little details.

Here's a dream I had from a few months ago.

In the dream, I was working at a library, a brick building that had walls with unusual angles. A skinny, middle-aged African American woman walked up to me and said that at her old library, she used to hold town meetings, but that library was closed, and she wondered if she could hold town meetings at this library. I wasn't sure, so, as I often do when I can't answer a question, I look for a higher authority. It just so happened that Dick Cheney was there, whispering to what looked like a secret service agent. I thought he would be a good person to ask. Before approaching him, I considered how I should address him, then walked up to him and said, "Mr. Vice President?" He ignored me and walked away. I looked back at the woman, hoping she wasn't getting too impatient. I went to Dick Cheney again, but he was now preparing to play a game with a sled. There were people lying on the ground, in three rows, all close to each other, and Cheney was going to sled on top of them. I had the woman lie down at the end of the row of people, so when Cheney got to her, he might notice her. As he was sledding over the people, he was crushing them and, I presume, killing them. On the other end of the sled, there seemed to be some kind of deflated air-mattress on the ground where the rows of people had been. Cheney seemed not to understand what he was doing, and was laughing and having a great time. The woman, meanwhile was getting upset and by the time Cheney got close to her, she was crying and cursing herself for being so stupid. She crawled away and then Cheney stood up. He seemed to feel bad and went over to try to comfort her.

I remember a little snippet of a dream I had last night. I had moved to West Virginey. I don't remember anything else but that. I think its safe to say it was probably a nightmare though.

Boy, I had a really weird dream this morning.

I dreamt that I was part of this outerspace military unit in deep space, and it was like Event Horizon - we were trying to stop a black hole that was being used as a gateway from hell itself to our universe. We were able to stop it, but at the cost of us being sucked into hell.

So then, there we all were in hell, which actually wasn't bad, because the demons were all lazy. The torments were pretty bad, but not really because, again, the demons didn't really care. Very apathetic. In our off hours, we, the military group, spent our time in an old abandoned warehouse attempting to build a black hole gateway that would send us back to our home dimension and also further back in time to prevent the whole thing from happening in the first place. It was kind of funny because we were all marine-types, but dealing in advanced physics concepts. I guess that's what you do when you have eternity though...

The previous night I had a dream where I was wandering through an endless wave of hallways, all leading to classrooms in this strange, extremely large school. I was trying to find my way out and back to this teacher's office that I needed to go to, but I kept getting lost and even more confused. After walking for what seemed like an eternity I finally made my way to some game room. Where I played Kevin Bacon in ping pong and beat him. Oh the teacher I was trying to see looked like my film history teacher from the community college I went to and transfered from to UNI. After defeating Bacon I woke up wondering what the hell that was all about.

There was another strange dream I had the night before that night, but I forgot about it. Perhaps I should start writing down my dreams after I wake up.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I had a dream where I decided to start smoking while on vacation in some tropical place. The cigarettes were packaged in an opaque bag and I had to pay six dollars for them. I was really upset to discover only four cigarettes inside.

I dreamt a bloke I like metamorphosed into a python.

*shakes fist at symbolism*

So I'm grading a lot of papers these days.
    So last night I dreamt about grading a lot of papers.

Exactly as I do in real life, with no cool dream stuff like a naked Naomi Watts turning up, or Liverpool finally winning a league title. All I did, all night, in my dream was grade.

:crazy:
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting SpaceOddity (view post)
    I dreamt a bloke I like metamorphosed into a python.

*shakes fist at symbolism*
    You're worried he's going to swallow you and regurgitate you at a later, unspecified, date?

Or am I taking this too literally?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I had a dream where I decided to start smoking while on vacation in some tropical place. The cigarettes were packaged in an opaque bag and I had to pay six dollars for them. I was really upset to discover only four cigarettes inside.

The numeral 4 is a Korean symbol for death.
    Cigarettes can kill you.
    Tropical places have, like, malaria and stuff.

You're screwed.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

One of the best dreams i've had was last year, and i still remember the images vividly since they were amazingly unreal.

---

I was in this huge library that, in my head, was located at the downtown area of a city that's a recurrent scenario where several of my dreams take place. I remember wandering around rows of bookshelves that stretched from floor to ceiling until i reached a large room where a group of people seemed to gather around a table. I was on the second floor actually, and i noticed as i walk down the stairs, that was a man in the center of the attention.

As i grabbed my spot to see what was going on, the man opened what i remember vaguely to be a box, he didn't acted as a magician, he was more like a teacher and the curious people a bunch of students perhaps, then i saw something that i can only describe as belonging to a lovecraft story, a creature crawled out of the box, something hard to describe, a viscous blob with a bunch of tiny legs or extensions that rolled around the table for the amazement of the group, the man seemed to speak something while the show was going on but i can't remember a thing. The monster suddenly stopped and it started to morph, his extensions grew like tentacles and his size started to increase a bit and to my horror, a human face emerged from it.

My memory is a blur at this point but maybe terrifyied, i started to move away and leave the library, i don't remember if anyone else followed me, but i do remeber to see water dripping from the ceiling as i approached the exit, and i realized that the library was underground, the exit was a hole that emerged in the middle of the city. The streets were flooded with water from a huge storm, then i grabbed the fence that surrounds the hole so my body wasn't dragged by the strenght of the water.

I woke up at this point.

This morning's dream! Starring:

Darth Vader!

and

Kate Bush!

I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do I'm always disappointed by how literal they are. I wish my unconscious was more creative.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do I'm always disappointed by how literal they are. I wish my unconscious was more creative.
    I used to have some pretty crazy dreams regularly, and draw or write comics based on them. Today, they're rare, and i hardly remember them, the one i described however was so intense that i never forgot.

I had another Battle Royale style dream, and it's really not as fun/ny as the movie.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    Yeah, me too. My dreams, on the rare occasions that I remember them, are usually about people I know and anxieties that I'm well aware of. Apparently my unconscious is pretty useless.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast