Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Moviepass: Lets you watch unlimited movies in theaters

Ha. Even the indie movies that didn't have surcharges from this morning, now have them. They went from $6 to $8 too. This is last fight or flight response basically.

E-Ticketing... still no surcharge. Guess I'll see something tonight!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Holy shit, my app literally removed all showings for all movies today at every theater, except for one showing of The Equalizer 2. Jesus...

What is weird is that Film Twitter seems to be getting a delight that Moviepass will no longer be around.

I'm certainly bummed as it led to me seeing many movies that I probably wouldn't have if I had to pay full value.

Their bad business decisions, and that includes the move to $10/month, is certainly up for criticism, but I am bummed it's going away.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, I don't see what there is to be delighted about. Movie pass going out of business flat out sucks.

- - - - -
    Maybe they're ragging on it because it was a dumb business from the start? I dunno.

But, on the bright side, you all got free money for years.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What is weird is that Film Twitter seems to be getting a delight that Moviepass will no longer be around.

I'm certainly bummed as it led to me seeing many movies that I probably wouldn't have if I had to pay full value.

Their bad business decisions, and that includes the move to $10/month, is certainly up for criticism, but I am bummed it's going away.
    I still have no idea how they expected their business model to work. I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I still have no idea how they expected their business model to work. I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    They should just be frank and say that they can't sustain business at $10/month, and instead of the price surging, they're going to go to $25/month, and understand they'll lose customers because of it, but hope people will stay to see movies they never planned on seeing... Something like that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

They should just be frank and say that they can't sustain business at $10/month, and instead of the price surging, they're going to go to $25/month, and understand they'll lose customers because of it, but hope people will stay to see movies they never planned on seeing... Something like that.
    I would be perfectly okay with this.

Wasn't the point of dropping to $10/month though to pull in millions more subscribers? People who will use it more like a gym membership - pay for it and then never use it. They would offset the heavy users like yourselves with less frequent users. Raise it back to $25/month and you'd likely lose all those new subscribers.

I think the only way to salvage it is to dial back the frequency. No more 1 movie a day. More like 1 per week.

Also get some decent customer service for god's sake.

- - - - -
    There's no value proposition at $25/mo.

Customers would receive access to matinee pricing on demand, and nothing beyond that, which ultimately mean slower growth for the company.

Moviepass would need to make up the price difference, and thus still lose money on every transaction.

Quick growth and a large user base was the only things they were interested in.

Ha. Even the indie movies that didn't have surcharges from this morning, now have them. They went from $6 to $8 too. This is last fight or flight response basically.

E-Ticketing... still no surcharge. Guess I'll see something tonight!
    I just went and saw Blindspotting thinking it would be in the clear for no surcharges and when I left my house that was the case; cut to 20 minutes later at the movie theater parking lot and suddenly I have to either pay a $6 surcharge or go home. I bit the bullet and paid the charge, but it's abundantly clear very, very few movies left won't have the surcharge now.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I'm gonna ride it out until it dies, but luckily the theater closest to me has E-Ticketing so no surcharge or blocking of movies. I wonder how long that will last though...
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'm gonna ride it out until it dies, but luckily the theater closest to me has E-Ticketing so no surcharge or blocking of movies. I wonder how long that will last though...
    moviepass was hoping more theaters would take on the e-ticketing, which was their reasoning for no surchages or blocks... I figure they fold before they change that since there's so few theaters that do it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Moviepass: Lets you watch unlimited movies in theaters

Hang on, booking on your phone and just showing your phone to the usher before going in is still not a big thing in the US? I just assumed that was the primary way to do it. All the major chains in Korea use this process and it is a breeze. And I still can’t believe in this day and age that unassigned seating still happens.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Hang on, booking on your phone and just showing your phone to the usher before going in is still not a big thing in the US? I just assumed that was the primary way to do it. All the major chains in Korea use this process and it is a breeze. And I still can’t believe in this day and age that unassigned seating still happens.
    I'd say 75% of the theaters still are unassigned.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That’s third-world country shit right there.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Producer
    Yeah, not a fan when I briefly lived in US about 10 years ago. I remembered coming back to Thailand with all assigned seating and bigger, more comfortable seats and it was practically heaven.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This is why I exclusively use Fandango. They scan my phone. No physical tickets. No waiting in line.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bar code phone scanning is widely done in big cities in the USA, but not as much in mid sized cities and rural areas.

Assigned seating is likewise good for big cities and popular weekend shows, but kinda silly for less popular weekday shows, esp. in middle America areas.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Tried to use it today, and now it's saying only e-ticket theaters are available, of which there aren't any in my town. Officially cancelled my subscription.

Tried to use it today, and now it's saying only e-ticket theaters are available, of which there aren't any in my town. Officially cancelled my subscription.
    Mine is working. No surge pricing today either. MI6 is still blocked out and (more weirdly) Leave No Trace is blocked as well.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Yep. Same here.

They're not gonna last until Wednesday.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

If e-ticketing still survives after August 1st... I may still hold onto the thing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

UPDATE: apparently they are raising their monthly price to $15/ month. I kinda expected that. I'll have to see if it's still worth it. As of right now, it looks like weekday movies will be available w/o surge prices with the exception of MI6 and Leave No Trace. It also seems to be working in all theaters in my city.

They've already announced Christopher Robin and that shark movie w/ Jason Statham will be blocked out this weekend, but I'm not interested in either. I'm curious how long they will block out MI6. If it's a permanent thing, or will it be available this weekend? Two weeks of blocking? Who knows...
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-31-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast