Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Moviepass: Lets you watch unlimited movies in theaters

Yeah, it just started for me today, too. $3.25 for every show. Suddenly AMC's A-List is looking a lot more enticing.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    When did it start? There was nothing going on Thursday.
    I noticed the update thursday night, so I assume friday.

This morning I got up about 8:30am, checked the app, and there was no surge pricing. Checked the app again this afternoon and yet again, every showing for every theater of films that have come out since July 1st have surge pricing for every showing.

Yeah, every single movie here too. Curious if it'll go through the weekdays, which is when I watch mostly.

Poor decision on their end.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Curious if it'll go through the weekdays, which is when I watch mostly.
    Yup, depending on whether or not this winds up being the case could very well make or break it for me.

I'd honestly just prefer they just increase the monthly fee about $5, maybe even $10, rather than this whole surge price business.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Yup, depending on whether or not this winds up being the case could very well make or break it for me.

I'd honestly just prefer they just increase the monthly fee about $5, maybe even $10, rather than this whole surge price business.
    People are stupid and think backwards. Though logically your suggestion is way more reasonable, people would see the higher sub price and run. Look what happened that time Netflix raiser their prices $1.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    People are stupid and think backwards. Though logically your suggestion is way more reasonable, people would see the higher sub price and run. Look what happened that time Netflix raiser their prices $1.
    You're probably right. I am curious if this new surge price deal won't already cause a lot of people to cancel their subscriptions or consider other options, though. I've already seen quite a bit of a stir on such media and such, not just here.

- - - - -
    MoviePass doesn't have a sustainable business model but the whole "surge pricing" thing is bizarre. It makes sense for a car service but doesn't for movie tickets.

They're just hiding the real cost and annoying their customers, like a F2P game that requires DLC to win. MoviePass doesn't have many options but holy shit it's a stupid idea to lay a heavy charge per piece when your entire value proposition is based on price alone.

Look what happened that time Netflix raiser their prices $1.
    Huh? Netflix raised their prices multiple times and kept growing their monthly users.

Netflix works because it's both cheap and frictionless. $10-15 isn't enough for anyone to worry about on their monthly credit card bill and nobody thinks about the per-hour or per-minute costs of watching a movie on the service, whereas they might if it were more like a traditional rental model (eg: Google, YouTube, Amazon, iTunes).

Their problem is that once they've saturated a market and plateaued, they don't have anywhere to go. Hence their big push into foreign countries.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The first time they raised prices, there was huge outcry and it took them a few quarters before their memberships returned to normal. I dont remember them raising them multiple times probably because I dont pay close enough attention to it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/.../#570ebcb0d2a7

http://adage.com/article/media/netfl...uproar/228704/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

If it's truly on every weekend show for movies that have been out for less than two weeks, then surge pricing must just be based on perceived demand, rather than actual number of seats available, which is super-silly. Especially since they have so few partner theaters that they'd know for sure the seating situation.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

So the surge pricing isn't on any shows now, so I guess it is just a weekend thing. Still annoying, but at least now it's not a total deal breaker. At least, not yet.

- - - - -
    The first time they raised prices, there was huge outcry and it took them a few quarters before their memberships returned to normal. I dont remember them raising them multiple times probably because I dont pay close enough attention to it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/.../#570ebcb0d2a7

http://adage.com/article/media/netfl...uproar/228704/
    Yeah, this was around the whole "Qwikster" thing, too. The hike tanked the stock and caused a media pile-on, but the following quarter Netflix met their target and added 1.7 million new subscribers.

https://venturebeat.com/2012/04/23/n...ubscribers-q1/

For year after, they added another ~10 million, and then another ~10 million the year after that. And then they start producing their "original" content.

I kinda get what you're saying but I think the blowback was bigger in perception (twitter trending, etc) than it was in reality (meaningful loss of subscribers).

It might work out that way for MoviePass, too. People will grumble about surge pricing but they still might stick with the service. For frequent moviegoers who are also price conscious, there aren't a lot of other options.

So the surge pricing isn't on any shows now, so I guess it is just a weekend thing.
    I suspected that MP was only looking to gouge users on big opening weekends. It's fucked up that they communicated the price change so poorly that users thought otherwise.

WELL I'm glad the surge pricing isn't showing up on weeknights. but I'm bothered by it just the same. Ticket prices aren't higher here on the weekend like I know they can be in some cities.

So I'm actually seeing that gray symbol indicating screenings are close to surge pricing today, but not quite yet. Still confused what's actually determining that or not though. Also, I'm curious, if you purchase your ticket before it goes into surge pricing, but then it enters surge pricing after the fact, will they still charge you the surge cost? Cause that'd be some bullshit...

$6/movie, and it's going as far back as Jurassic World/Ant-Man today in Denver.

I have skepticism.

What is good is that the e-ticketing theaters don't charge extra, and there is a chain of Landmarks around me.

But for the first time, I have skepticism on how long I'll hold on to this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It looks like today is officially the end of MoviePass.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

$6/movie, and it's going as far back as Jurassic World/Ant-Man today in Denver.

I have skepticism.

What is good is that the e-ticketing theaters don't charge extra, and there is a chain of Landmarks around me.

But for the first time, I have skepticism on how long I'll hold on to this.
    I saw that too, and it's for some bullshit like Jurassic World 2 that's been playing for a few weeks. I don't get it. I get why MI6 would have opening weekend surge charging, but the extra costs in my area are $5 bucks. I thought the "surge" was going to be like $2 bucks.

STILL, I watch a lot of indie movies and those seem to be unaffected right now, so it still might be worth it for me. If I do cancel, I would probably just see less indie movies that I'm on the fence about to save money, and that would be unfortunate both for myself and the indie filmmakers that get a boost from moviepass.

Also, articles like this make me question if MP is going to even last by the end of the year.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/moviepa...ws-1202434982/
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

UPDATE: so apparently ALL of my MI6 screenings (including regular 2D screens) this weekend are blocked out as "premium" screenings which means I can't even see them with a surcharge. I would have to see them full price w/o moviepass. First time I've ever seen that happen before. Any one else notice this in their region??

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    UPDATE: so apparently ALL of my MI6 screenings (including regular 2D screens) this weekend are blocked out as "premium" screenings which means I can't even see them with a surcharge. I would have to see them full price w/o moviepass. First time I've ever seen that happen before. Any one else notice this in their region??
    Yup, this happened to me, too. And surcharges are now more expensive than matinee ticket prices in my area. Getting pretty tired of this nonsense.

I've decided to make it my mission to see as many movies this week that are open and able for the taking. All of them. Tick tick tick...

I saw M:I without a surchase with the e-ticketing at New Mexico's version of the Alamo. Good time.

I'll try and see Eighth Grade next week.

Predicting this folds by September... or maybe end of their fiscal year so they don't have to reimburse any annual memberships?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Saw Eighth Grade with it last night. Pairing MoviePass with AMC A-List is working out well. MP for indies and docs, which are all at Regals here, and A-List for everything else.

Surge pricing is absolutely ridiculous. They've got to be losing subscribers, right?
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Looks like Moviepass has until 8/5 to pay back a $5 million loan. So these days could be the end.

In my second run of using moviepass, I saw 26 movies in 9 months. Or for $3.46 each....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Looks like Moviepass has until 8/5 to pay back a $5 million loan. So these days could be the end.

In my second run of using moviepass, I saw 26 movies in 9 months. Or for $3.46 each....
    Shit. Wish there were more movies I wanted to see. Eighth Grade isn't even here yet. I'll probably check out Leave No Trace and Blindspotting before MoviePass leaves no trace and I'm left blindspotting.

This is kinda depressing. I even was able to see old movies like Jaws on the big screen with MoviePass. Sigh.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Shit. Wish there were more movies I wanted to see. Eighth Grade isn't even here yet. I'll probably check out Leave No Trace and Blindspotting before MoviePass leaves no trace and I'm left blindspotting.

This is kinda depressing. I even was able to see old movies like Jaws on the big screen with MoviePass. Sigh.
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly comes to town on August 11th. Hope I'm wrong.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast