Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moviepass: Lets you watch unlimited movies in theaters

The countdown is on, but I scroll down and can select the showtime. I remember wondering what the case would be like if it started at exactly the same time.

And, um, I've also tried it where I wanted a different movie at a later time, picked that, and went with the one I really wanted, and that worked...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I was going to ask for this for my birthday, but you guys are really not selling it too well.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well, beyond that inconvenience, let's take a look: I have had it for seven months ($245). I have seen 34 movies with it, so probably savings of over $100.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I don't recommend it to people anymore. You should be saving at least 3 movies' worth a month to make all that hassle of scheduling worth the effort. I still pay the pre-price hike $29.99 a month and movies are $14.50 here so I try my best to rob them blind. I've used my card 7 times this month, and I was out of the country for the first two weeks. Would have been more without that damn countdown, though.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't recommend it to people anymore. You should be saving at least 3 movies' worth a month to make all that hassle of scheduling worth the effort. I still pay the pre-price hike $29.99 a month and movies are $14.50 here so I try my best to rob them blind. I've used my card 7 times this month, and I was out of the country for the first two weeks. Would have been more without that damn countdown, though.
    I recommend it. Especially if you live in a metropolitan area like NY/LA type. Movies are $10-$15 around me. I just need two movies, and that's it.

Not sure what I'll do come February though. Wonder if I can just close it for two months.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I use it to see old movies a lot. That's what I do when new releases are shit.

I use it to see old movies a lot. That's what I do when new releases are shit.
    It does work at the Arclight and Beverly Cinemas... Good idea.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Where I live movies are $5-7 so I would have to go a ton for it to be worth it to me.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It does work at the Arclight and Beverly Cinemas... Good idea.
    It also works at the the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian and Aero and now even at Cinefamily (the Silent Movie Theater that plays more cult/trash films than anything else, but also arthouse and silents on occasion). With those and the Newabl Beverly, there's no excuse for any cinephile in LA, and I imagine NY, not to be able to get more than their money's worth out of this.

If you're consistently paying $5 for a movie, I hate you, but mostly for your ability to exist in 1993.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    It also works at the the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian and Aero and now even at Cinefamily (the Silent Movie Theater that plays more cult/trash films than anything else, but also arthouse and silents on occasion). With those and the Newabl Beverly, there's no excuse for any cinephile in LA, and I imagine NY, not to be able to get more than their money's worth out of this.

If you're consistently paying $5 for a movie, I hate you, but mostly for your ability to exist in 1993.
    The AMC's here charge $5 before 6pm. The Phoenix area is surprisingly a great area for movie buffs. I live in Gilbert and have like 15-20 theaters within 30 minutes of me.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

- - - - -
    Anyone still using this?

Yep.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hahahahaha what the hell. After 6 years I was finally ready to cancel my subscription this month and suddenly this morning I got an email saying my plan is being changed to just $10 a month and it's guaranteed for 12 months. These fuckers got me again for another year. Damn.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Where do I sign up?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Looks like I'll be rejoining.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

nevermind
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 08-15-2017 at 11:43 PM.

What's the deal with this?

I really don't see movies in the theater very often (I have a fairly good setup at home and use Redbox; and wind up watching lots of movies on flights) but a friend of mine just signed up for this and I have a suspicion she'll be asking me to join her at the theater more often -- requests that I find it very difficult to turn down.

So anyway, wondering what ya'll think at this point.

p.s., I'm having a personal crisis realizing how old this thread is. I vaguely recall reading the earlier posts when MoviePass was first starting, but would have literally estimated the time to about 2 years ago, not 7 for fuck's sake.

Yeah. Weird that I posted this over five years ago expecting it to be a short experiment and I'm still using it today...

Maybe. I'm just gonna take full advantage of it while it lasts.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm not clear about the issue with AMC. Can you use this anywhere or has AMC actually found an effective way to block MoviePass subscribers?

No they have not. They really hate it and moan about it to the press but I just used it at an AMC this week. It's not possible for them to decline.
    Movie Theater Diary

Certain chains don't use it (Landmark), but it works like a charm for me, and it's only $10/month now.

AMC, most Hawkins, and quite a few indie theaters use it. Just weird that Landmark hasn't taken it on yet.

I don't understand why AMC is against it, considering they get paid no matter what, and Moviepass users tend to buy more theater items (popcorn/drinks).

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I don't understand why AMC is against it
    Just speculating here, but:

1. MoviePass is a direct competitor to the chain's own programs.

2. Nobody wants a middleman between themselves and their customers. It makes it difficult to develop a relationship.

3. People who purchase solely on price are difficult to upsell and tend to demand more. (ie: they can be a huge customer service pain in the ass, with little side benefit.)

4. Theater prefer attendees like Duke, because he doesn't think twice about dropping $100 on tickets to the latest Super-IMAX-70mm-Surround-Sound-Extravaganza.
    Last edited by Irish; 01-07-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

2. Nobody wants a middleman between themselves and their customers. It makes it difficult to develop a relationship.

3. People who purchase solely on price are difficult to upsell and tend to demand more. (ie: they can be a huge customer service pain in the ass, with little side benefit.)

4. Theater prefer attendees like Duke, because he doesn't think twice about dropping $100 on tickets to the latest Super-IMAX-70mm-Surround-Sound-Extravaganza.
    Moviepass is suppose to have a selection where you can have loyalty programs put to use, but they currently only use one. Never heard of that theater chain.

I think there's an IMAX-moviepass that you can spend a few extra dollars on per month and still get those seats.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

If it's about competition that's one thing. But I thought theaters and theater chains made their money primarily on concessions? Why do they care about how much the price of a ticket is? More people in the theater = more people splurging on popcorn because they didn't drop $15 on a movie ticket.

Because they don't think Moviepass will last. Their concern is that one day it's gonna bust and then they'll have hundreds of thousands of people who are used to spending $6 a month for 3 or 4 movies and it will be improbable to convince them to go back to paying regular prices. Think about how people are balking at the idea of paying for several streaming services even though it's still cheaper than what they used to pay for a cable package, because people remember a time when everything's just on Netflix. What AMC is mad about is Moviepass actively driving down the market value of a movie ticket.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast