Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moviepass: Lets you watch unlimited movies in theaters

Just got my card. Can't wait to try it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Just got my card. Can't wait to try it.
    Ive used it 4 times so far. It pays for itself very quickly!

- - - - -
    I can't imagine this service lasting. What the hell is their business model?

They've got to be subsidizing the cost of the tickets. They just got $1.5MM in funding, but that's not much and won't last more than a year at most.

I imagine that they're hoping to build a big enough user base to start negotiating with movie theaters.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Yeah, that's what I can't figure. To what end? The theaters already run these kind of discount programs & have years of data on their effectiveness. They can also just blow off MoviePass and build their own systems.

On the other side, this is a startup that's banking on an awkward user experience that's based on something (movie theaters) that's becoming something of an antiquated distribution system.

Seems like a lot of ways to lose.

Maybe. I'm just gonna take full advantage of it while it lasts.
    Movie Theater Diary

Used this twice now this weekend. Planning on seeing another movie tomorrow. Minor hiccups aside, I can see this working out great for me.

A few days ago I noticed that the app lists a bunch of single-theater arthouse places here in Brooklyn, but doesn't show any showtimes that can select. I sent a ticket about it and got an immediate reply saying that it's just a matter of them missing the showtime data that the theaters are supposed to provide, but all I have to do is call the hotline when I'm in the theater and someone will select a showtime for me manually. A bit tedious, but okay, that's a good service, at least. But then, lo and behold, I was gonna do that today and noticed that the showtimes for those theaters are now up. Must have updated yesterday or today. Woo hoo. I'm gonna go to BAM, Nitehawk Cinema and the IFC Center a lot more in the future, it seems.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Anyone else get that promo e-mail from MP with the subject: "The World is Ending Today" and when you open the e-mail and read it... "so get your gift membership to moviepass right now"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I've been abusing the shit out of this, by the way. I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and using it almost everyday.
    Movie Theater Diary

I've been abusing the shit out of this, by the way. I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and using it almost everyday.
    Only 2D showings right?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Only 2D showings right?
    Only 2D, regular (ie, no HFR no IMAX) showings.

I just got my invitation. I'm curious how it'll work for the Alamo (which is accepted in Moviepass). I guess I can only reserve my seat when I get there...

Hoping the Landmark Theaters and another arthouse join soon. Those are the closest theaters to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Also, if you use promo code: ScreenTeamShow You save $10 for your first month.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

So it looks like Showcase now accepts this, which was my only hangup not to consider this.

Can the "Initiation fee" be waved?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Their new Countdown Clock killed any interest I had in their service.

Countdown Clock?

You can now only see a movie once every 24 hours rather than once a day. After you buy a ticket, a 24 hour countdown appears on the app.

Bah, why the fuck does that matter if I see a movie in the morning or the evening? (say if I go Friday night and want to go again Sat morning) That's so lame.

Because if they prevent you from seeing it Saturday morning, maybe you won't see a movie on Saturday at all, and the less you use your card, the more they profit. Capitalism!
    Movie Theater Diary

There's an initiation fee?

Countdown lock or not, I've saved a good amount of money with this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    It really sucks for me, because since I have kids, I see movies in bunches because of busy schedules. Having them interfere with that system makes the service not worthwhile.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    It really sucks for me, because since I have kids, I see movies in bunches because of busy schedules. Having them interfere with that system makes the service not worthwhile.
    I wish you could do couples on the card. Sure, you can get two cards, but would just be easier if you had that option available.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It really sucks that it has no leeway whatsoever too. If you watched a movie Friday at 7:30 and there's a movie on Saturday that starts at 7:25, you can't fucking go even if it's five fucking minutes.

But I think the worst part about the countdown clock is that it doesn't just limit the showtimes you can choose, you literally have to wait until the clock hits 0 before you can use the card. So if you want to go to a movie today that starts at the exact same time as the movie you saw yesterday, you won't be able to buy a ticket half an hour earlier.

Basically their goal is to keep pushing your movie viewing time later and later in the day until it becomes inconvenient to go and you have to skip seeing a movie that day.
    Movie Theater Diary

It really sucks that it has no leeway whatsoever too. If you watched a movie Friday at 7:30 and there's a movie on Saturday that starts at 7:25, you can't fucking go even if it's five fucking minutes.

But I think the worst part about the countdown clock is that it doesn't just limit the showtimes you can choose, you literally have to wait until the clock hits 0 before you can use the card. So if you want to go to a movie today that starts at the exact same time as the movie you saw yesterday, you won't be able to buy a ticket half an hour earlier.

Basically their goal is to keep pushing your movie viewing time later and later in the day until it becomes inconvenient to go and you have to skip seeing a movie that day.
    Wait. I've bought it at the same exact time and bought my ticket 15-20 minutes ahead of time.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Was the countdown still on? He showtimes are greyed out for me when there's time left.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast