Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martha Marcy May Marlene

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    That's just, like, your opinion man.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    I liked it overall and I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but who leaves their bedroom door open while they're having sex when they have guests?
    Swingers, I guess...
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This was really, really great. So great, in fact, that I'm willing to not dwell too much on its use of the indie-cliche Ambiguous Ending. I can understand the nitpicks, but as crafted, I found it hypnotic from start to finish. A very special combination of performance and form. Perfectly cast, eloquently shot by Jody Lee Lipes, and beautifully edited. One of the most memorable American indies in recent memory.

Hodge shan't be shot Kirby Avondale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Briare (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Kirby Avondale (view post)
    [
    ]
    I don't think the death was on impulse but I agree with the rest of your comment.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't think the death was on impulse but I agree with the rest of your comment.
    I don't doubt priming, but it's all the same to me.

Hello there Kirby! FIrst time I've seen you in these parts.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Hello there Kirby! FIrst time I've seen you in these parts.
    Hai. I get around!

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    So great, in fact, that I'm willing to not dwell too much on its use of the indie-cliche Ambiguous Ending.
    Would it have been less cliché to have a very conclusive ending? (Incidentally, there are lots of Hollywood movies that are fairly open ended--The Birds, Brokeback Mountain, and A Serious Man being the first three examples that come to mind.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Would it have been less cliché to have a very conclusive ending?
    A conclusive ending in a critically lauded indie? Yes. That would be quite unexpected and a refreshing change of pace.

I'm mostly kidding. But I do think the Ambiguous Ending's prevalence in indie cinema is fast becoming cliche. Some of these modern films make it work. Some don't.

Quote Quoting baby doll
    (Incidentally, there are lots of Hollywood movies that are fairly open ended--The Birds, Brokeback Mountain, and A Serious Man being the first three examples that come to mind.)
    Brokeback Mountain and A Serious Man are curious examples to use. While they're both technically Hollywood productions, these are a couple films that I really think embrace indie sensibilities (beyond their use of the Ambiguous Ending). Brokeback Mountain is really unlike anything else in Ang Lee's catalog. Certainly less polished aesthetically and more methodical and unconventional in narrative than his other work (The Ice Storm included). A Serious Man, too, is sort of an outlier for the Coens. I would say it's definitely the least accessible of all their films and definitely the one that seems the least concerned with commercial appeal.

I'm a big fan of both.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    But I do think the Ambiguous Ending's prevalence in indie cinema is fast becoming cliche. Some of these modern films make it work. Some don't.
    Again, one could say the same about conclusive endings: some films make it work, and some don't. Generally speaking, art movies are less inclined towards conclusive endings because they often pare away a lot of the redundancies that you find in mainstream filmmaking; with regards to Martha Marcy May Marlene, rather than showing the heroine and her family [
    ] the movie leaves it to the viewer to infer what happens next.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Still collecting my thoughts, but I found this to be a gripping, well crafted film. I'm not sure if I like the ending or not-I imagine a second viewing whenever I get around to it will clear things up. Review forthcoming, eventually.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Producer
    Very belatedly just got around to this before watching his next feature The Nest. If anything, MMMM could have pushed into abstraction even further, as the film's slippery structure reveals its precise method early on, and becomes less disorienting as it goes along, barring some sudden ruptures of violence. But Durkin's idea of PTSD as free-floating cinematic headspace is otherwise so potent and nightmarishly executed enough, and Olsen bridges her three identities of the title brilliantly, switching between the last two to imply a heartbreakingly confused search to get her first one back. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123