Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,576 to 1,593 of 1593

Thread: Election 2012

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting romantisaurusrex (view post)
    The narrative Maddow was selling, that of a sweeping outright rejection of the extremist American right, was pretty much bullshit even if she did pick through legitimate republican talking points to get there.
    This! Watching the video, she never tells you the actual numbers.

The entire House was up for grabs, yet the Democrats only picked up something like two seats. The Republicans lost a dozen or so seats, but still managed to retain control. The Democrats won two seats in a Senate they already controlled.

In other words: the government we had last week is largely the same as the government were going to have next January.

Yet she described all this as a "shellacking" and "humiliation" for the Republications, and spun it as a major victory for the left.

gerrymandering has a lot to do with the republican stronghold in the house. despite the 6 point lead obama had in PA and bob casey leading tom smith by 9 points in the senate election, we have 5 democratic representatives and 13 republicans in our state. and some really bizarre district boundaries.

Wow to both of these.

Staffers working for the Romney 2012 campaign got a sudden and unwelcome lesson in fiscal conservatism Tuesday night and Wednesday morning when they tried to check out of hotel rooms or travel home. According to NBC’s “First Read” blog, campaign workers were left to pull themselves up by their bootstraps when they found that all the credit cards issued by Romney/Ryan 2012 were canceled as soon as the nominee finished his concession speech.

“From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself,” wrote NBC’s Garrett Haake. “Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.”

Forbes magazine explained that this is not normal protocol for political campaigns.

http://s.tt/1sLwa
    Of all the indignities involved in losing a presidential race, none is more stark than the sudden emptiness of your entourage. The Secret Service detail guarding Governor Romney since Feb 1. stood down quickly. He had ridden in a 15-car motorcade to the Intercontinental Hotel in Boston for his concession speech. He rode in a single-car motorcade back across the Charles River to Belmont. His son, Tagg, did the driving.

There is no formal guideline for the Secret Service agents in this situation; it's up to the discretion of the detail leader, who usually consults with the local police to make sure that his protectee's home won't be overrun by protestors and supporters all of a sudden.

But the Service leaves quickly. No more motorcades. No more rope lines. No more bubbles. Familiar faces disappear, never to be seen again.

In 2008, agents offered to see John McCain back to his ranch in Sedona, but McCain insisted on saying his good byes in his suite at the Biltmore Hotel.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/blog...#ixzz2BlH6YX6v
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Kind of a sad drive home.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    so the guy who was linked earlier, eric dondero, the guy who said all repubs and libs should disown and hate every liberal they ever meet, he wrote in the comments section at about 200 messages his personal cell phone number. Does he not understand what the internet does? Silly fella.

"We are amazed that Obama has been re-elected. But for us there is no difference between Obama and Romney; both are enemies. And we will keep up our jihad and fight alongside our Afghan brothers to get the Americans out of Afghanistan," said Pakistan Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan.
    If there's no difference, why would you be amazed?

Would be funny if someone runs the headline "TALIBAN DISAPPOINTED BY ROMNEY LOSS."
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Taha.

But for us there is no difference between Obama and Romney; both are enemies.
    "Taliban critical of two-party system."
    Plead the fifth, Sip wine stiffly
    Patiently come up and be spiffy in a jiffy
    Gift for the grind, Criminal mind shifty
    Swift with the nine through a fifty nine fifty.

Of course the Taliban is disappointed. They've been huge Roseanne supporters for years.

RON PAUL 2016

- Ayn Qaeda
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If there's no difference, why would you be amazed?

Would be funny if someone runs the headline "TALIBAN DISAPPOINTED BY ROMNEY LOSS."
    That's something The Onion should have done, heh.

Right now I'm more interested in what happens to the GOP than which pundit sucks less than some other pundit.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I can't imagine putting a campaign sticker on my car, let alone tattooing a campaign emblem on my body, let alone on my fucking face. What the fuck is wrong with people???

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I can't imagine putting a campaign sticker on my car, let alone tattooing a campaign emblem on my body, let alone on my fucking face. What the fuck is wrong with people???
    If you don't know the story, that guy sold his face as commercial space on eBay as a stunt. The winning bidder asked him to do the Romney logo. I think he got paid something like $15,000 for it.
    Movie Theater Diary

You gotta be shitting me.

“He wanted to be president less than anyone I’ve met in my life. He had no desire to . . . run,” said Tagg, who worked with his mother, Ann, to persuade his father to seek the presidency. “If he could have found someone else to take his place . . . he would have been ecstatic to step aside. He is a very private person who loves his family deeply and wants to be with them, but he has deep faith in God and he loves his country, but he doesn’t love the attention.”
    Movie Theater Diary

It seems unlikely given how much he contorted himself and made just about the last decade of his life all about trying to be president. He certainly did everything to appear to be desperate for the job.

But I swear I saw something of that on his face and in his voice during his concession speech. I saw far too many hints of relief and burdern-lightening than simple resignation or sportsmanship.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    It seems unlikely given how much he contorted himself and made just about the last decade of his life all about trying to be president. He certainly did everything to appear to be desperate for the job.

But I swear I saw something of that on his face and in his voice during his concession speech. I saw far too many hints of relief and burdern-lightening than simple resignation or sportsmanship.
    Basically the direct opposite of what Tagg said. Mitt wanted the title, but didn't want the responsibility.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364