Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris (2011)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Wait, what? You accept Juliette Lewis, but not Marion Cotillard? No one in 1992 knew who Juliette Lewis was unless you explained that she was the daughter in Christmas Vacation or Cape Fear. She was in no way "big" like Julia Roberts.
    She wasn't talked about in an "America's sweetheart" kind of way, and the paparazzi didn't stalk her like they did Roberts, but man people raved and raved about her performance in Cape Fear, to the point where she was overexposed.

And yeah, people did know who she was. Like everyone else in her position, she appeared on everything from Arsenio Hall to Letterman to Regis.

I don't want to get into this argument, but just real quick.

Cotillard has been on Oprah twice, Fallon once, Larry King twice, and Craig Ferguson four times.

Actors were more famous 20 years ago than they are now. How many super-duper stars are there now? You can count them on two hands, and they're largely carryovers from 20 years ago. In relative terms, Marion Cotillard is a bigger star within Hollywood now than Juliette Lewis was post-Cape Fear. And she is in a supporting role in the Allen film. McAdams is indisputably a legit star and a known entity to the commoners of America.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Eh, I'm looking forward to it. Like the cast and the poster is awesome.

Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Van Gogh seems an odd choice.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I just don't think that Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Michael Sheen and Marion Cotillard are any less "relevant" as actors than most of who Allen used over the years. Diana Keaton was not DIANE KEATON when she starred in thost 70s films... Michael Murphy, Mariel Hemingway, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane. Heck, it's Allen himself who single-handedly continued Mia Farrow's career.
    Indeed, and let's not forget how many careers Allen got off the ground. A young Paul Giamatti had a bit part in Deconstructing Harry, Christopher Walken in Annie Hall, etc. It's a long list.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Reading about this in a few different places -- wow, that trailer was totally off the mark.

This is much closer to something like Purple Rose of Cairo. A shame, because the actual movie sounds a helluva lot more interesting than the advertisements let on.

Some serious raves coming in for this. Ed Gonzalez at Slant says it's the best Woody in a decade.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Reading about this in a few different places -- wow, that trailer was totally off the mark.

This is much closer to something like Purple Rose of Cairo. A shame, because the actual movie sounds a helluva lot more interesting than the advertisements let on.
    Yeah, based on the premise this is something I'd wanna see.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    You guy read this?
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

I do want to post more thoughts on the movie soon, but let me just say, as reported, that the trailer for this is not indicative of the movie really. I have no idea why they didn't just "reveal" what the movie is actually about...pretty bad decision by the marketing department if you ask me.

Anyways, the movie's good. See it.

Not bad. Calling it Woody's best in a decade is too much though. His fans will get a kick out of this, but it's also kind of disposable and obvious. Expect a lot of fun moments.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Not bad. Calling it Woody's best in a decade is too much though.
    It's easily his best for me, but I also don't think Match Point or Vicky Christina are particularly good. I think calling either of those a masterpiece is a far bigger stretch than calling this his best in a decade simply because he hasn't produced any great works in that stretch. I also think the points this film made about nostalgia were much more interesting and poignant than any made about fate, or rather FATE, in Match Point and it was done in a much less overburdened manner.

I'm not a fan of Match Point, but I thought Vicky Cristina was tremendous, one of the best of its year. I'd slide this one somewhere squarely in the middle of those two.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Match Point is obvious and lame and hollow. Vicky Cristina Barcelona is obvious and pretty and fun enough. Midnight in Paris is obvious and alternately pleasant and irritatingly broad. Match Point is by far the most heavy-handed, though.

Midnight in Paris
    feels like Woody directing an SNL sketch of an American in Paris. It's slight, has a poignant theme placed in a simplified and digestible form, and perpetually pigeonholes its characters.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

I remember thinking VCB was good but not great. I think I mostly had a problem with the third person voice-over. Like nails on a chalkboard.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Oh, and Alison Pill is aces, as always.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Oh, and Alison Pill is aces, as always.
    I saw her in a play on Broadway and she was so annoying. It didn't help that she had to do an Irish accent.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I saw her in a play on Broadway and she was so annoying. It didn't help that she had to do an Irish accent.
    Really? Which? I saw her in Neil LaBute's Reasons to be Pretty roughly three years ago and she was by far the least annoying aspect of that terrible production.

I'll speak up in defense of Pill. She was the highlight of the film for me as well, and she was sadly given too little screen time. Also really liked Corey Stoll in this (totally unfamiliar with him outside of this film). Really hated caricature portrayal of Inez (McAdams). No fault to McAdams; that was just an unfortunately written character. Nick's description of some of these characters as being pigeonholed is right on.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Just found out this opened at my theater this week. I'm going to try to see it this weekend if I can squeeze it in.

I didn't even realize it was playing at my local large chain theater. Huh. Guess I'll go check it out before it leaves town. Never seen a Woody Allen movie in theaters.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    Really? Which? I saw her in Neil LaBute's Reasons to be Pretty roughly three years ago and she was by far the least annoying aspect of that terrible production.
    Lieutenant of Inishmore. Fun show.

I loved this dearly.

Good to have you back Woody.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

yeah, i thought it was fantastic. i'm not singling anyone here out (even though i'm paraphrasing) but i think films that come off as effortless can often be mistaken for disposable. this was one of woody's funniest in awhile, it was rather poignant, and owen wilson is just great in it. the bunuel scene had me in stitches. one of the most enjoyable trips to the movies i've had in a long time. i think it's easily in woody's top ten films.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast