Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Daniel, that sounds amazing. Link(s)?
    Man, unfortunately Mandoman has a terrible website with little-to-no information, with only a few really crappy MP3s, along with two poorly recorded Youtube videos. He has no albums, and no professional recordings. I don't know what the deal is. I tried to speak with him a bit last light, but he knows as much English as I do Japanese - about 5 words. He's a total enigma to me, and these connected times, that's pretty amazing. If you want to hear him, you've got to see him live. He does all of the big Looping shows around the world, and will be in Santa Cruz next week for the biggest looping fest in the world, Y2K.

Here's a video, but it doesn't do justice to anything.

This recording was made about 5 years ago, and his sound is completely different now.

He also makes all of his own instruments, including this new thing he had that had pieces of bamboo attached to some kind of electronic pick-up. He's play the bamboo rods with a bow, and hit the pick-up with sticks to create percussive elements. His pedal board is also now about 4 times as big as it is in that video, and he's constantly tweaking stuff with his toes. I think he has his mandolin sent to about 4-5 different modules of effects, and he's constantly building stuff while other stuff is going on. You'll be listening to one thing, watching him, and then like 5 minutes later some new part comes out of nowhere completely takes the listener by surprise. I feel like I could study his new performances for years before being able to truly understand what he does.

Saw First Aid Kit last night. Great show. If there are any two people more sweet and charming on stage than the Söderberg sisters then, I dunno. World Peace may be possible.

Not to be missed if they make it to your town, if nothing else than to see their cover of 7 Nation Army.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

We got tickets to the Ride reunion in NYC today. Sold out now. Now we have to wait 6 months, although that's nothing after waiting 20 years.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    We got tickets to the Ride reunion in NYC today. Sold out now. Now we have to wait 6 months, although that's nothing after waiting 20 years.
    Ride is probably the 3rd loudest band I ever saw (right behind Dinosaur Jr. and MBV). I can't even remember if it was good, but it was really loud.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Ride is probably the 3rd loudest band I ever saw (right behind Dinosaur Jr. and MBV). I can't even remember if it was good, but it was really loud.
    I've listened to some live bootlegs and their album, Live Light. It sounds loud, but they made a few mistakes and didn't play too tightly. Hopefully Bell's time in Oasis has helped ..

The loudest show I saw was Mission of Burma.

I always forget that he was in Oasis. Was he on any albums, or just live?

The last two, and he wrote a song on the final Oasis album, which I remember not liking. And he played in that Beady Eye monstrosity too.

Mark Gardener put out a really good solo album a number of years ago, but hasn't done much else.

I saw a group of about 25 local musicians perform Terry Riley's In C at a bar last night.

I don't want to say it was a religious experience, but it was something like. I remember the first 5-10 minutes as being interesting, but trying. I checked the time at some point and thought, wow, this is going to take some effort. Yet when it ended, it felt as if no time had passed at all. They played it for nearly an hour, from about the 20-40 minute mark I was as relaxed as I can ever remember being, lost in the music with a random phrase from a tuba or marimba occasionally grabbing my attention and taking me somewhere. It was transcendent, and one of the best experiences I've had listening to live music.

It was beyond glorious. I still can't believe what Rob Halford was doing on that stage for our benefit.

I still can't believe any of it, to be honest.

Hey Matchcut - need your help. I'm attending Riot Fest this year in Chicago. Here's the lineup. There are plenty of bands here that I am not familiar with. Do any of you have any recommendations of cannot miss acts, or acts that should be avoided?

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Stay out of the pit when Motörhead plays.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Stay out of the pit when Motörhead plays.
    Oh yeah. I'm way past my slam dancing days.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    There are a lot of bands on that list I listened to like 15+ years ago and I can't believe are still going (ex: The Ataris, Alkaline Trio, Millencolin, Thrice, Taking Back Sunday). De La Soul looks like the only must see in my opinion.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Oh yeah. I'm way past my slam dancing days.
    I was in the pit for them when I was 21 or so. After ten-fifteen minutes, the skinheads started swinging. That was enough for me.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I swore Yellow Claw was at that fest. If you want to give trap music a shot, they put on a good live show.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Lee Scratch Perry should priority number one.

So, Riot Fest was this past weekend - it was pretty amazing. Here are the bands I saw, and what I thought of their sets.

DAY ONE
    Lee "Scratch" Perry
    [
    ]

Flogging Molly
    [
    ]

Faith No More
    [
    ]

No Doubt
    [
    ]

Motorhead
    [
    ]

And that's it for Day One. Time to go to Parson's Chicken & Fish for some food & cocktails, and then to Underbar for a night cap.

DAY TWO
    There wasn't really anything in the morning that we felt the need to scramble to get to the grounds for, so we arrived at around 1pm, just in time to catch some of...

FIDLAR
    [
    ]

Swervedriver
    [
    ]

Gwar
    [
    ]

Hum
    [
    ]

The Dead Milkmen
    [
    ]

Pennywise
    [
    ]

Desaparecidos
    [
    ]

Echo & The Bunnymen
    [
    ]

Bootsy Collins' Rubber Band
    [
    ]

Merle Haggard
    [
    ]

It should be noted that the next band after Merle on the Riot Stage was System of a Down, and I know the types of fans System of a Down attracts to their live shows. These are the sorts of assholes who will push you to the ground and stomp on you to get a spot closer to the stage. So we got the hell out of there and fast, already having to fight our way through the flash flood of douchebags. We did, however, survive to see...

Billy Idol
    [
    ]

As we left, we could hear Iggy Pop singing The Passenger, but who cares, time to head back to Parson's Chicken & Fish for more food, more cocktails, and then to Underbar again for another night cap.

DAY THREE
    Again, nothing really playing in the morning that was more appealing than a nice breakfast with some friends and a walk to a geek shop and not spend a fortune on Godzilla shit because my house has too much clutter already, so we showed up at Douglas Park between 1:30 and 2:00. I wanted to see Alvvays, but Doomtree was playing at the same time, which my wife wanted to see, and recalling the number of times I have dragged Traci along with me to shows she wasn't really hot about (she still has yet to forgive me for Ipecac), I decided that turnabout was fair play, and we decided to check out...

Doomtree
    [
    ]

As a side, our friends who we went to the show with went to see Alvvays, and said that they were rather good.

Hum
    [
    ]

De La Soul
    [
    ]

Less Than Jake
    [
    ]

Kongos
    [
    ]

Andrew WK
    [
    ]

Rodrigo y Gabriella
    [
    ]

L7
    [
    ]

Snoop Dogg
    [
    ]

Damn, B.

Looks like you saw some great acts.

Glad to hear that De La is still great.

Yeah, it was a blast. The only thing I would have done differently was to catch an earlier flight in. I missed both Fishbone and Living Colour, which kinda bummed me out, and also to not bother with standing in the taxi line, which was basically waiting in line for no taxis to show up. Walking a few blocks away to where the crowd was a bit thinner and requesting a Lyft was a way better way to get out of Douglas Park (which isn't in a particularly savory part of town).

If any of you have the fortune of the Kraftwerk 3D tour coming anywhere near you, you really owe it to yourself to go see it. 2.5 hours of pure computerlove.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Motorhead
    [
    ][/SPOILER]
    This is unfortunately true, he's very much under the weather. I noticed it back in May when I saw them live and he's cancelled a couple of shows since. I don't think he's the type of guy who'd want to retire quietly, so I'm guessing we're in for sad news very soon.

Scar, I've been to Mötorhead's pit twice (both times in Argentina) and never saw any explicit violence like the one you describe. That sucks.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)

Scar, I've been to Mötorhead's pit twice (both times in Argentina) and never saw any explicit violence like the one you describe. That sucks.
    It was at least fifteen years ago. 'Merica.

It was a big music festival. The Offspring were real big at the time, and at least half of the crowd cleared out when they were done, with Motörhead to close out the show. It's like the skinheads just showed up for Motörhead. T'was interesting. I'm glad my 21 year self knew not to push his luck any farther than he already had.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Seeing Pretty Lights live is incredible and amazing and should be experienced by everyone.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Seeing Pretty Lights live is incredible and amazing and should be experienced by everyone.
    Pretty much what everybody in Colorado has ever said. I have yet to partake.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Row fourteen, dead center for Alice Cooper. Starts in 10 minutes.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast