Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Just blew entirely too much money on Nick Cave/Bad Seeds tix. You better be worth it, Nick.
    Oh about this: I ordered early tix from Nick Cave's website and they are being sent from the UK, but I still have yet to receive them. I emailed the ticket co. (not ticketmaster, some UK company that Radiohead uses) but still haven't heard anything from them. I'm getting worried.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I'm going to see Animal Collective in two weeks with a good friend coming in from out of town. I can't wait!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Hmm. Tyler the Creator is coming to the Newport here. Very very tempted to go. I've only seen some of his stuff on Youtube and his mind-blowing performance on Jimmy Kimmel. Anyone else seen him live? Worth it to go?

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Hmm. Tyler the Creator is coming to the Newport here. Very very tempted to go. I've only seen some of his stuff on Youtube and his mind-blowing performance on Jimmy Kimmel. Anyone else seen him live? Worth it to go?
    just a warning, there will probably be a ton of teenagers moshing, if you're ok with that, i've heard they're pretty decent performers

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm going to see Animal Collective in two weeks with a good friend coming in from out of town. I can't wait!
    Bought my ticket today. I could win a rabbit, indeed.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Saw Morrissey a couple of nights ago (finally!). He was on. Voice like butter. His opener, Kristeen Young, was revelatory.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Saw Morrissey a couple of nights ago (finally!). He was on. Voice like butter. His opener, Kristeen Young, was revelatory.
    Just out of interest, why 'finally'? Did he cancel a past show you were going to? Because that's happened to my friend when she went to go see him not once, but THREE times, all in Chicago.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I traveled to Oakland to see him. Canceled. Bought tickets again (here, though, thankfully). Canceled. Third time was a charm, and it was worth it.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I traveled to Oakland to see him. Canceled. Bought tickets again (here, though, thankfully). Canceled. Third time was a charm, and it was worth it.
    Glad it was worth it! I may feel the pain of a postponed concert for the first time, because a friend of mine just tried to get a ticket for the Animal Collective show I'm going to but the venue's website said the show was postponed to July. Every screen, Google search and news article I read says the show is still on. How did you find out your show was cancelled? I'm waiting for an e-mail or something before I panic anymore.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I may feel the pain of a postponed concert for the first time, because a friend of mine just tried to get a ticket for the Animal Collective show I'm going to but the venue's website said the show was postponed to July. Every screen, Google search and news article I read says the show is still on. How did you find out your show was cancelled? I'm waiting for an e-mail or something before I panic anymore.
    Looks like your show and few others were postponed til July assuming you're in Ohio.

How did you find out your show was cancelled?
    I went to the venue in Oakland and there was a piece of paper taped to the ticket window. The email was sent literally five hours before the show.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Looks like your show and few others were postponed til July assuming you're in Ohio.
    Nashville, actually. Oh well, at least my current ticket's still good. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Wife woke me up last night with a kiss and news that she had purchased tickets to see Mike Nesmith in a couple of weeks.

Best. Wife. Ever.

Grabbed early bird tix for the Great GoogaMooga festival in Brooklyn next month. From what I hear it was kind of a mess last year, but the fiancee and I both agreed that we couldn't pass up the chance to see both The Flaming Lips and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Should be fun.

Nice. I'm seeing them in LA in May. They're hit-or-miss with me, but I've heard they're absolutely nuts live. Their live album with Merzbow might be the best thing I've heard by them.
    just got back from the all time classics show. face-meltingly awesome

Driving back from Boris's St. Louis show last night. It wasn't part of the residency shows, so they effectively blended their two sets. They killed with the last 30 minutes of "Flood" and moved back and forth between straight-ahead rockers and softer, drone-laden tracks. So happy that they did "Flood". That itself is superlative for me. I've wanted to see that album played live for over 8 years.

Pallbearer opened for them on this date, and they ripped through a doomy set with spacey, ethereal solos. The new track they debuted makes me excited to see where they go with their sound on successive albums. All told, two quality acts and lead-in music from Swans, Neurosis, and Isis. About the best concert experience I could have expected not living near any of residency dates.

Hope you equally enjoy them, Derek!
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Laneway Festival is coming to Detroit (or rather, Rochester Hills, which isn't Detroit at all) this year. The National, Sigur Ros, Deerhunter, and others. I'm going to try to grab tickets. I'm not nearly as learned when it comes to music as you guys. Any other groups on that list I should be checking out this summer in preparation?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Laneway Festival is coming to Detroit (or rather, Rochester Hills, which isn't Detroit at all) this year. The National, Sigur Ros, Deerhunter, and others. I'm going to try to grab tickets. I'm not nearly as learned when it comes to music as you guys. Any other groups on that list I should be checking out this summer in preparation?
    I've been loving the hell out of the new Phosphorescent album.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Aside from Phosphorescent, I'd recommend Warpaint and, to a lesser degree, Washed Out and Youth Lagoon.

Lots of people are loving on the Savages debut this year. I wasn't that impressed, but they're probably worth checking out. I don't really like The Dismemberment Plan much either, but those dudes were huge around the beginning of the 00s so look into them as well.

Speaking of festivals, FYF just announced the lineup yesterday and it's pretty solid. A little annoying that the lineup is weaker overall than last year IMO and it's $20 more, but I'm ridiculously pumped for MBV, which is worth the price of admission alone. Also haven't ever seen Deerhunter, Beach House, Foxygen and a few others that I'd gladly pay full price to see elsewhere, so it'll all work out in the end.

Others I'm excited to see:

TV on the Radio
    Flag
    Deerhunter
    The Breeders
    Death Grips
    Thee Oh Sees
    Charles Bradley
    Ty Segall
    Dan Deacon (though his live set 2 years ago made me hate the crowd, so I may pass unless I'm drinking)
    Eleanor Friedberger
    Foxygen
    Metz
    MBV
    Beach House
    YLT
    Washed Out
    The Melvins
    Les Savy Fav
    Kurt Vile
    !!!
    Jonathan Richman
    Baroness
    Mac De Marco
    Mikal Cronin

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    just got back from the all time classics show. face-meltingly awesome
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Hope you equally enjoy them, Derek!
    I'm a lot more excited now!

I didn't get a chance to mention I saw Yo La Tengo for the first time last week and they were amazing. There was no opener so they played 2 full sets - the first an hour-long set of mostly acoustic, chill YLT stuff, the second started off energetic and loud and just got noisier and more off the wall as it went along. These guys really live up to the hype and it's always a joy to see such amazing, versatile musician strut their stuff

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I've been loving the hell out of the new Phosphorescent album.
    Really dig everything I've heard by them thus far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aside from Phosphorescent, I'd recommend Warpaint and, to a lesser degree, Washed Out and Youth Lagoon.

Lots of people are loving on the Savages debut this year. I wasn't that impressed, but they're probably worth checking out. I don't really like The Dismemberment Plan much either, but those dudes were huge around the beginning of the 00s so look into them as well.
    Appreciate the pointers. I'll prioritize these as well.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    You know what's the worst? Looking up St. Vincent's tour dates, seeing she has a current tour with David Byrne, and seeing she is playing in Baltimore TOMORROW, and I am no longer at a point in my life where I can jump on that.

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK....
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I didn't get a chance to mention I saw Yo La Tengo for the first time last week and they were amazing. There was no opener so they played 2 full sets - the first an hour-long set of mostly acoustic, chill YLT stuff, the second started off energetic and loud and just got noisier and more off the wall as it went along. These guys really live up to the hype and it's always a joy to see such amazing, versatile musician strut their stuff
    They are an amazing live band. I think they're a lot like Radiohead - they're far better live than on album. Both of those bands have a very hard time of capturing on album what makes them so special.

Animal Collective in July, Sigur Ros in September, and Nine Inch Nails in October. I love Music City.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast