Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

Waaait, I just read this:
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    first rap show i've ever been to

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Waaait, I just read this:

lots of rap shows are usually overpriced. i rarely pay more than $20 for a concert and often times any of the bigger acts are priced in the $40-50 range and generally play shitty venues

although i probably should've seen lil b or odd future by now. will try to catch the former, probably won't ever see the latter. would love to see g-side too

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    i've never seen the men play for more than a half hour. sounds about right derek
    I wasn't bothered by the short set at all, only a bit disappointed at the setlist since they probably won't be out west again 'til at least next year. Still a really fun show.

Got tickets to The National/Neko Case for my birthday last month. Show is in a couple weeks. Been a while since I've gone to a concert, but this seems like a pretty decent way to get back into it.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Got tickets to The National/Neko Case for my birthday last month. Show is in a couple weeks. Been a while since I've gone to a concert, but this seems like a pretty decent way to get back into it.

Damn! I'm jealous!

On a different note, I'm going to be seeing Metallica tonight....

... at the Annual Salesforce.com Conference. :crazy:
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)

The Hollywood Bowl show? If so, get there in time for Sharon van Ettan, whose nearly as good as Neko Case (similar alt-country sound).

I saw The National last summer and they were awesome - played for a good hour and a half and were surprisingly high energy. Have fun!

So, the Metallica show was... interesting. Imagine a room full of CRM & management consultants, starched shirts, dress pants, fancy ties and all, crammed into an arena (I was dressed the part too). And then the lights went down, a clip from Good Bad Ugly played, and every hand shot up... holding either an iPad or an iPhone. Then Metallica came out, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich looking like dads, and they started their set.

The instant they started playing I remembered why I don't go to these types of shows anymore. I had arrived about an hour earlier to stake out a decent spot (15 feet from the stage. As close as I'll ever get to guys as big time as Metallica I figure). When the show started, instantly the floodgates were opened, and a herd of assholes from the back started stampeding their way through everyone and slamming the people in the front against the stage itself.

All it took is one song for me to say "fuck this" and leave. There was an awesome DJ playing upstairs, pinball in the other room, and free beer to be had everywhere.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Luchadores wearing the American flag. Blonde women crowd surfing in a blow-up raft. Kevin Barnes dressed as a teenage girl. And glowsticks. Millions of glowsticks. I saw all that and more at Of Montreal's show tonight.

And it was fucking awesome!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    The Hollywood Bowl show? If so, get there in time for Sharon van Ettan, whose nearly as good as Neko Case (similar alt-country sound).

I saw The National last summer and they were awesome - played for a good hour and a half and were surprisingly high energy. Have fun!
    Yep. AMAZING show from beginning to end. St. Vincent accompanied The National on several songs, and they played through the standard encore break until they were literally forced off. Sharon van Ettan and Neko Case were both wonderful, and everyone was endearing and witty on stage. Had an incredible time.

Just saw Tears for Fears. My eardrums hurt but they were awesome.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    Just saw Tears for Fears. My eardrums hurt but they were awesome.
    Yeah, next time I go to a concert I'm bringing earplugs. It's been 2 weeks since Of Montreal and my left ear is still ringing a bit.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

First leg of the Boner Invasion Tour starts today.

Kitchen's Floor today.
    Royal Headache in 2 weeks.
    Total Control @ the end of October (w/Thee Oh Sees)

First two are free, third one will be dirt cheap, if not free, given the venue. What's up with all these Aussie band's not wanting money?

Also saw PS I Love You on Thursday and they were great, but they didn't start their fucking set until 11:45. The Echo is notorious for stupidly late sets on weekday nights, but nothing like this. Fortunately it was a lot of fun even though only about 25 people actually stuck around that late to see them. Worth the groggy Friday at least.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    First leg of the Boner Invasion Tour starts today.

All three of those bands are awesome live; Kitchen's Floor maybe a bit more hit-or-miss. And each band's new album rules.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Seeing the following line-up at the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday evening:

TV on the Radio
    Panda Bear
    Arctic Monkeys
    Warpaint
    Smith-Westerns

Hope the quantity of acts doesn't lead to much shorter setlists!
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)

All three of those bands are awesome live; Kitchen's Floor maybe a bit more hit-or-miss. And each band's new album rules.
    Kitchen's Floor was solid. It was at a small record store, so obviously they had to hold back noisewise, but it was a really good set. I'll definitely check out their new album. I'm especially psyched for Total Control - I keep going back to that album and it's really been growing on me.

Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    Seeing the following line-up at the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday evening:

TV on the Radio
    Panda Bear
    Arctic Monkeys
    Warpaint
    Smith-Westerns

Hope the quantity of acts doesn't lead to much shorter setlists!
    Considered going to this, but already saw TVotR earlier this year (fun, but I was tired as shit), Panda Bear was fairly underwhelming (though I love his albums) and I can't stand Arctic Monkeys. I've heard Warpaint is really good live, so that's a plus. But yeah, I have no idea how they'll work set times with 5 acts! My guess is something like 30-30-45-45-45, though either way, that's a lot of good music.

I just saw Weekend last night and was very impressed. Sports is a great album, but I wasn't sure how well they'd transfer the echoey vocals and heavy feedback to a live show. Very well is how - loud intense show and by the end, I was regretting not bringing ear plugs.

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Killer concerts to see in the next three weeks:

Panda Bear
    St. Vincent
    Portishead

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Going to see Amon Tobin in Toronto on the 23rd. A couple of friends of mine saw him in San Fran a few weeks back and said it was one of the most amazing, ambitious concerts they've ever been to. Anyone here seen him?

Seeing Shellac in a couple weeks at a hipster haven spot here in Portland. Not too keen on the hipsters but Shellac will thrash them good.
    Out of ****:
    Chef- ** 1/2
    The Interview- ** 1/2
    White Bird in a Blizzard- ** 1/2
    Frank- *** 1/2
    A Walk Among the Tombstones- ***

I need advice, ASAP.

Who here has seen The Field live?

Worth it?

Just a laptop?

I want to go tonight, but I don't know if it will be worth staying up past 1 a.m. and then having to get up at 6 a.m. for work.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I need advice, ASAP.

Who here has seen The Field live?

Worth it?

Just a laptop?

I want to go tonight, but I don't know if it will be worth staying up past 1 a.m. and then having to get up at 6 a.m. for work.

Did you go? Belated, but I'd definitely say worth it. Live drums and bass in addition to laptop.

Did not go. the place where it was has very limited seating, and I didn't feel like standing for 5 hours after a long day of work. And knowing Seattle, no one would have been dancing, either.

Every year I get closer to 40, it's harder for me to muster up the enthusiasm for a concert at a club. Now a concert hall is different.

Going to see Scout Niblett tonight.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Going to see Scout Niblett tonight.
    This was the best show I have seen in quite some time. Blown away.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Saw Deerhoof for free last night, had no expectations as I haven't liked their albums post Runners Four, but they were great. Lots of Milk Man/Apple'O stuff, which took me back.

John Maus for free on Wednesday.

Buying tickets to see Radiohead in April down in San Jose. This will be by far the most I've ever spent on a concert, but it should be totally worth it. I hope.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast