Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Ariel Pink was great. But OMG, Magic Kids are one of the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of hearing. 'dense pop textures' my ass.

Ariel Pink: dense pop textures.

Magic Kids: scrotumless pop bullshit.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Ariel Pink was great. But OMG, Magic Kids are one of the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of hearing. 'dense pop textures' my ass.

Ariel Pink: dense pop textures.

Magic Kids: scrotumless pop bullshit.
    For me, Ariel Pink is always going to be the "King of Pop of the 2000s". Too bad you didn't like Magic Kids, they sorta reminded me of the Beach Boys. Did that other band, Pearl Harbor open too? Now that was some boring crap.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Yeah, Pearl Harbor was definitely terrible, but I found Magic Kids to be even more nauseatingly bad. They sorta reminded me of the New Kids, if that gives you an idea.

All this makes me wonder though is what Ariel Pink is thinking taking these bands on tour. Does he want to make himself look better or something?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Yeah, Pearl Harbor was definitely terrible, but I found Magic Kids to be even more nauseatingly bad. They sorta reminded me of the New Kids, if that gives you an idea.
    New Kids? I can see Magic Kids' act becoming overly bubblegum-y after a while, but for the time being, it's nice to hear. Once Pitchfork gives them the BNM, I'll stop listening.

I'm seeing Wye Oak this Tuesday in Philadelphia, which I'm pretty excited about

Also, I have the opportunity to go to one of these Arcade Fire/Spoon shows next month, but I think I might skip it, because I've heard Madison Square Garden stinks for concerts. On the other hand, just typing that made me realize how absurd it is that I'd pass up the chance to see those two bands back-to-back on the relative cheap, so I dunno

Going to Osheaga (two-day festival). There's a sick line-up this year.

Arcade Fire
    Weezer
    Metric
    The National
    K'naan
    Keane
    Deadmau5
    Snoop Dogg
    Sonic Youth
    Devo
    Pavement
    The Cat Empire
    The Black Keys
    Stars
    Jimmy Cliff
    Seu Jorge

And a bunch of others I don't know.

http://2010.osheaga.com/

Let me know if I should check out any of the other acts.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

hey i'm going to osheaga too

i made my schedule on the website. i think you can see it here: http://2010.osheaga.com/user/224595/schedule/2010/07/31

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    hey i'm going to osheaga too

i made my schedule on the website. i think you can see it here: http://2010.osheaga.com/user/224595/schedule/2010/07/31
    Nice, aside from a few minor exceptions I"m pretty much seeing everything playing on the Budweiser and Blackberry stages.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Sweet - GBV tx have been purchased.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Going to Osheaga (two-day festival). There's a sick line-up this year.

http://2010.osheaga.com/

Let me know if I should check out any of the other acts.
    Definitely try and catch Japandrioids.

I'm off to the Solid Sound Festival tomorrow at Mass MOCA. Looking forward to the Books the first night, Mavis Staples, and Tweedy's solo show on Sunday. The percussion and guitar pedal exhibitions/seminars are intriguing. If done correctly, I could see them being amazing.

Definitely going to try and catch Todd Barry and Hannibal Burress on Sat, as I have been on an obsessive stand-up binge in the past months. It has sort of consumed my life.

Should be a good weekend.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/

hated japandroids. actually fell asleep in the middle of their set

them and edward sharpe and the magnetic zeroes were the biggest disappointments of the festival for me

Ever go to a show that would have been much better were it not for the audience? I did last Saturday, when I saw the band Los Hombres Calientes perform.

Los Hombres is a jazz band that mixes hefty amounts of Latin & Creole into their sound. Imagine Dizzy Gillespy meets Dr. John meets Tito Puente and you'll be close. As you could imagine, this is the type of music you would wanna listen to in a place where you could get up, whoop & holler, and move around with other lively individuals looking to get into the music.

Unfortunately, we were instead stuck in an orchestra hall (which is a great place to see sit-down music) surrounded by a bunch of people whom I'm thinking were checking out the band expecting a more mellow show (frontman Irvin Mayfield is a jazz trumpeter of some repute) and were taken aback by the exuberance of the music and of the band.

Many people were holding their hands over their ears. The person in front of me even turned back and started barking at me when I was going "whoo-hoo!" after a particularly awesome rendition of Girl From Ipanema.

I was like, sheesh, man. If you can't stand loudness, either bring earplugs to a show or stay the hell home.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Ever go to a show that would have been much better were it not for the audience?
    Almost every show I've been to in Seattle.

Worst crowds/audiences I've ever experienced.

Probably my least favorite thing about this city.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)

Boulder and Denver crowds are so different from each other its weird. Denver crowds are much more fun and involved. Boulder crowds seem/are stoned.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Went to the Fuck Yeah Fest on Saturday, which was a lot of fun. Didn't get there 'til 7, but still managed to see some quality acts:

Dead Man's Bones (Ryan Gosling's band) - suprisingly good and a lot of fun. They had about a dozen kids up on stage with them who were in a costume contest and sang backup for a few songs.

Ted Leo - Only heard about 15 minutes, but he was serviceable. Never been much of a fan, though he had good energy.

Man Man - Amusing and pretty out there. I'm a fan of xylophones integrated into rock and this was heavy on the xylophones.

Mountain Goats - I've always hated Darnielle's voice and this didn't do much to change my mind. They were all electric and not quite as boring as most of their albums, so it wasn't the worst way to kill 20 minutes between two bands I wanted to see.

!!! - I like Myth Takes and their new album's ok, but man, these guys were a blast to see live. For an outdoor fest, I was impressed by how great they sounded. The lead singer was hilariously flamboyant and they were super high energy for the whole hour.

Panda Bear - Set started off veeery shakey with a total remix of a couple songs where the vocals and guitar were almost completely drowned out by the electronics. But after the first 15 minutes, he really started to come into his own with great renditions of "Comfy in Nauticaa" and "Tomboy". The rest of the set was more chill and watery, but weird enough that probably on 2/3 of the crowd stuck around 'til the end.

Fun night overall and more than I'd expect for $25.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Dead Man's Bones (Ryan Gosling's band) - suprisingly good and a lot of fun. They had about a dozen kids up on stage with them who were in a costume contest and sang backup for a few songs.
    Yeah - these guys are great.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Boulder and Denver crowds are so different from each other its weird. Denver crowds are much more fun and involved. Boulder crowds seem/are stoned.
    stoned crowds, in my experience, seem to be into the music more. dancing and such. i.e. when i see jammier bands there is dancing in the aisles, everyone seems to be having a great time. when i see indie/jazz shows it's generally just people standing there and perhaps tapping their feet. i'm always the latter but i enjoy the atmosphere of the former.

I just saw Rise Against and Weezer with a great crowd here. Everyone was very excited but no one was violent. There was a great vibe through the whole thing.

Turned down a free ticket to Wolf Parade later this month. Sorta regretting it now (not necessarily because I like the band - but I could have scalped it hardcore).

Deftones last night in Columbus. They never fail to put on a less than stellar show. Wow.

I wish they would start banning cell phones in concerts. Bitch in front of me at both her hands holding up her phone right in my line of sight recording damn near entire concert. Wouldve said something, but her husband was bloody scary looking.

Buying tickets for Queens of the Stone Age + Rage Against the Machine.

That's gonna be a crazy day.

Stoked. Get to go see The Trashcan Sinatras play at a small house in Portland in October. They're doing a living room show.

JEALOUS
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

seeing stars tonight with wild nothing

Stoked. Get to go see The Trashcan Sinatras play at a small house in Portland in October. They're doing a living room show.
    Not going to this. $100 a head...too much.

I am going to see Guided by Voices tonight, though.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast