Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

It's impossible to convince someone who has never been to a Flips concert of just how awesome and life-affirming they are. I never understood the people who followed the Dead until the Flips started putting on similar shows. It's all about the experience. Even if you don't like the music, I believe it would be impossible to not have a good time at a Flips show. It's all about dancing, laughter, and the experience.

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Actually tickets are about the same price.

Flaming Lips is 28 euros, White Lies (who perform in October) is 21.
    yeah your friends are pretty dumb

Just saw my friend's band, The Sleepover Disaster. Still one of the best shoegazer bands on the scene. Amazing stuff. If you've never heard them, and you like the genre, check out their last album: Hover.

Um, like, HOLY CRAP, dude. Rarely does a chance at redemption like this come along.

So. Fall '90 I get a call from my buds, asking me if I wanted to go to see They Might Be Giants with them. I had never heard of them at that point, and the show was on a Friday, and it would be a pain to get home from college in time and blaa blaa blaa, so I passed.

So, the next day, when I see my friends, they play the album Flood for me, and it instantly became one of my favorite albums ever, and in the intervening years, I've been kicking myself for not having seen TMBG that friday when I had the chance.

And now, I find out that November 3rd they will be performing the album Flood in its entirety in my home town! I am STOKED.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Love that album. I'm jealous. Are they performing other places?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Love that album. I'm jealous. Are they performing other places?
    Not in your neck of the woods, unfortunately.

http://www.theymightbegiants.com/calendar/

But then again, the show they're playing in Minneapolis isn't listed on that calendar either, so maybe, just maybe, they have something planned that they're not listing on their website.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    Fuck Yeah Fest tomorrow:

I'm most excited to see Lightning Bolt...can't beat that lineup for only $20.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Seeing Regina Spektor tonight. Excitement level is high.

Amazing show. One of the best I've seen. She can absolutely slay me with her voice. After the show my wife and I met her, which was equally awesome. I'm not sure it's possible to have a more pleasant experience meeting a celebrity. She signed my wife's Chucks. I got a hug and a photo.

Ah, it's so nice when you go into a show with super high hopes, and the show actually meets or exceeds those hopes.

Me, I've got high hopes for Los Straitjackets Christmas Bonanza which rolls through Mpls December 12th. But then again, I've seen Los Straitjackets in excess of 10 times and they've never disappointed. Ever.

I know I've talked these guys up before, but if anybody here likes instrumental surf rock, ala Link Wray, these guys are the bomb. And they are at the height of their powers around the holidays. You all should catch them if they show up in your neck of the woods.

Just got tickets for Sonny Rollins on 9/25. Fourth row. Me = cool.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Just got tickets for Sonny Rollins on 9/25. Fourth row. Me = cool.
    Me = jealous.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I went to a concert last night in Irvine - the lineup was Asheroth, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, and Blink 182.

Asheroth was okay. They seemed good-humored, but I have a general aversion to white guys throwing their arms around while rapping about ill-defined subjects.

Taking Back Sunday had a good lead singer. I never quite understood what he was singing about, but he has good stage presence. Guy was whipping his microphone around like Roger Daltrey. Their songs felt somewhat interchangeable. No doubt the acoustics were little help to separating the "sound" of each song.

Weezer surprised me. I thought Rivers would be unlikely to play the hits, but that's all they played, and they played them well, clearly experienced after nearly twenty years of touring. Fantastic stuff, efficient. They busted out "Surf Wax America," which made me incredibly happy.

I love Blink 182, and they delivered. Their stage banter was childish and stupid, but, hey, it's Blink. They played an hour-and-a-half long set, and there were a lot of standout moments. First off, Tom and Mark hugged at the beginning (nice to see after the long rift). Second off, their self-titled album dominated the set for a while, and they even played my very favorite Blink song, "Not Now." Finally, their encore had Travis on an elevated, rotating, tilting drumset platform while he just ripped.

Very fun, considering the last big concert I went to was New Kids on the Block in 1990. Tiffany opened for them.

The last show I went to was Ted Leo and the Pharmacists at the Hudson River Park in NY a few weeks ago. The weather was nice and rainy and everyone was high, but it was a pretty unspectacular time, for the most part. My friend's been trying to convince me that Ted Leo hit on her hard before his set started, but I don't believe her

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)

The last show I went to was Ted Leo and the Pharmacists at the Hudson River Park in NY a few weeks ago. The weather was nice and rainy and everyone was high, but it was a pretty unspectacular time, for the most part. My friend's been trying to convince me that Ted Leo hit on her hard before his set started, but I don't believe her
    he was probably just being nice. he's a really cool dude

Saw Pink Reason a few nights ago playing in a storefront for about 10-15 people; one of the best intimate shows I've seen. Shared a pizza with 'em beforehand, really nice dudes. They must like Sydney; they've played 4 shows here in the span of 3 weeks.

Saw K'naan the other night. Quality show, terrible opener.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Seeing Os Mutantes tomorrow. Pretty stoked.

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Has anybody ever seen Broadcast live? Do they put on a good show?

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

i'll probably try to catch the xx, future of the left, girls, and the slumberland anniversary show in the coming months. all separate shows of course

seeing st vincent & andrew bird on monday and then st vincent on tuesday. excited!

just got tickets to see the motherfucking pixies in boston next month

here's hoping they're not as crushingly disappointing live as dinosaur jr was for me

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    seeing st vincent & andrew bird on monday and then st vincent on tuesday. excited!
    what a fantastic two days. st vincent really impressed me, i just read a review of the show that described her sound as blood spattered on a monet. very apt. there would be these beautiful songs about loneliness that would devolve into walls of fuzz and then sometimes come back. so loud, so good. also, i'm kind of crushing on annie clark.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    also, i'm kind of crushing on annie clark.
    Who wouldn't? She does mention watching Zabriskie Point on her twitter.

Quote Quoting Justin (view post)
    Who wouldn't? She does mention watching Zabriskie Point on her twitter.
    we talked about hannah and her sisters and l'avventura. *swoon*

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast