Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

I'm tempted to go see NIN just to see what Adrian Belew does with them.

EDIT - never mind. He quit before it started, because it wasn't working out.

That's what I thought. I cannot imagine Belew playing with NIN.

I never realized that Belew played on The Downward Spiral, but the tracks that Wikipedia identifies him as playing on totally make sense with his style. Doubt any of the work he did with Trent appears on the final product.

Grabbed tickets to see Vienna Teng play some atmospheric piano rhythms in early December. Excited for her to be coming back to music after her MA work at UM's Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    My wife just won two tickets for the Justin Timberlake and Jay Z concert tomorrow night at M&T Bank stadium. I don't consider myself a big fan of either, but I do predict a pretty epic show. I imagine it is the biggest concert I have been to. Most are pretty small affairs.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I've heard great reactions to that show. Bet it'll be a good time.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Icona Pop US tour announced and no AZ. :sad:
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to go to The Replacements reunion show as the big Riot Fest closer here, and oh man, so good. Both every bit as awesome and beyond whatever expectations I had.

It felt weird to see something like that a dozen or so feet in front of you and then go home to see the whole internet detailing and equally elated by it even if they weren't there themselves. The show felt so oddly intimate despite the size of the venue and anticipation surrounding it.

Dinosaur Jr. and The Stooges were pretty fantastic too, but it just shows no matter how good they were, nothing was bound to command and conquer like Westberg & Stinson's set. And that's with Paul's spurts of forgotten lyrics and decades of age audibly having tallied up in his vocals. Freese was impeccable and perfectly fit every song, their new guitarist is amazing, and safe to say the original two know how to handle themselves.

I saw a pretty clean audio recording of the whole thing on Soundcloud, and as much as it's something I wouldn't seek out if I hadn't gone to a particular show, I'm so glad it's there to exist forever for me to revisit and for everyone else to hear.

Definitely a pretty damn great and one-of-a-kind way to spend a Sunday night.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Wow, that's awesome. That show is all the buzz over here in Minneapolis.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Actually got into Pixies' secret show in LA this past Friday. They announced it at noon that day and capped it 100 people. My friend and I were second row center, literally 10 feet from Frank Black. Pretty fucking rad.

Did a little write-up of it too.

Was at a music festival all weekend. It poured rain all day yesterday which sounds awful, but once you just give in to the elements it kind of enhances the whole experience. Like a shared energy throughout the crowd that we're fucking soaked and don't care.

Lineup I saw: Cake, Phoenix, Jane's Addiction, Journey, The Neighbourhood, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Weezer, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A blast, but I'm exhausted.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Actually got into Pixies' secret show in LA this past Friday. They announced it at noon that day and capped it 100 people. My friend and I were second row center, literally 10 feet from Frank Black. Pretty fucking rad.

Did a little write-up of it too.
    Whoa, Kim Shattuck is Deal's replacement? I missed that news. She's fantastic.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The Yeezus tour is as great as advertised.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    The Yeezus tour is as great as advertised.
    Aren't most shows getting cancelled?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Nah, I think it was a few early shows because of equipment. And it makes sense because the whole tour is pretty cohesive on a nightly basis it sounds like, so its basically Yeezus: The Musical. It's pretty great because there isn't another pop artist out there right now putting in this much effort to entertain. It's true that if you're not a fan you won't like the indulgences of things like 5 minute autotune rants or Kanye being stalked by a yeti, but MSG was sold out and he really seemed like he was at the top of his game.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Also saw the Yeezus show in the first of its two-night tour finale in Toronto, and yes, it was insane and the perfect amalgamation of his first decade's discography through the lens of the twisted recent album's iconography and previously murky thematic ambition.

It was the amazing to have the feeling of being right back in high school when so many of the earlier album's material would show up in the setlist, not to mention the ways he reinvigorated and re-appropriated them to the bigger story of sorts through the concert's ever-expanding and goofily brillant visual companion and framing device of the current album (all ten songs of which eventually done in its entirety). Only Kanye can do that show and not only make you forget he didn't do things like All Falls Down, Gold Digger, Touch The Sky, Love Lockdown, a lot of Dark Twisted Fantasy, any of Watch the Throne or spotlight any prominent features, but leave you not caring at all.

So basically, it was pretty much the best imaginable way to ever want to escape our powerless Toronto houses and bask, cheer and sing along to a massive show that essentially amounts to a celebration of quite possibly the best and most beguiling modern mainstream career artist doing what he does best: being ridiculously self-indulgent and backing it up with real, indisputable entertainment.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

My wife got me Chvrches tickets for april. Pretty excited.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Oh, hell yes. Pitchfork Festival announces part of its roster with Slowdive, Grimes, Sun Kil Moon, Diiv, Kendrick Lamar and others. Welp. Time for the weekend pass...
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Nice!

I'm going to my first indie concert in many, many years in a couple of weeks: Magic Man is playing in Seattle! They're opening for someone, and they'll probably only play for 30 minutes, and it costs $25, but I don't care - it's fucking Magic Man. Best young band in the biz. Can't wait.

Awesome! I downloaded Real Life Color when you first posted about them in 2010 and have been following the band since. Saw them last night in LA, apparently it was their time headlining a show and this week marked their first visit to California. They were super exited and surprised by all the people in attendance and they brought a ton of energy. Needless to say, it a pretty damn great show.

The Passenger (Antonioni): 9
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Yates): 5
    Red (Schwentke): 4
    The Count of Monte Cristo (Reynolds): 5
    Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Herzog): 8
    Kick-Ass (Vaughn): 3

going to austin psych fest this year

http://www.austinpsychfest.com/2014-...f-2014-lineup/

Saw The Stargazer Lilies last night. Great set, though they only played for 30 minutes (6 songs). Still worth every penny of the $12 and I didn't even realize they were playing LA until yesterday afternoon, so it was a nice surprise. "How We Lost" was so good.

Saw Neko Case on Wednesday. Seeing Yo La Tengo tonight. Fun week.

Saw St. Vincent with Noveller opening last night. The Byrne-influenced spasms, mini-dances, and everything theatrical make seeing St. Vincent so fun. The new material had so much more power and force in this context (making me wish that Clark had recorded the songs with this group and production), and the freak-out climaxes in Surgeon and Lips are Red are so good. It's always good to leave a show with ears ringing.

Noveller was interesting to watch the layers of guitar get looped and doubled with counterpoints. Not sure every audience would vibe with it, but the Tulsa audience was appreciative.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Saw Chvrches this week here in Tempe. Great concert one of the best I've ever been to.
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Saw Chvrches this week here in Tempe. Great concert one of the best I've ever been to.
    Nice! Especially since we just grabbed tickets to see them in early June.

Haim is stopping by Tulsa tomorrow. I'm hoping they deliver live.
    The Boat People - 9
    The King of Pigs - 7

Saw Chvrches last night at 1st Ave in Minneapolis. Great show, as expected, the lead singer is just adorable on every level, but the only thing that bothered me was the amount of douchebag bros in the crowd holding their fucking smart phones above their heads so they could get some stuff to post on youtube, which of course was blocking the views of myself and about a dozen others around me. I had to go up to two of them and tell them to stop, which they did without a fuss, to their credit, but still....

Man, kids these days. Looking forward to seeing Jungle in a few weeks, cuz that's assigned seating at tables.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast