Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: The Concerts Thread

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I was in the pit for them when I was 21 or so. After ten-fifteen minutes, the skinheads started swinging. That was enough for me.
    Skinheads - ruining concerts since 1979.

Went to my first (and second) Bassnectar Concert this weekend, and it was a beautiful experience. The quality of the sound, the production, and the friendliness of the crowd made it all the better. I understand why so many travel across states to see him now.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Seeing Die Antwoord in October, followed by Pet Shop Boys and The 1975 in November.

My body is ready.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    He's a ninja.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The 1975 is doing a US run? Awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Seeing Die Antwoord in October
    Did you see the short film they did with Harmony Korine? I'm a fan. (ummm...NSFW)

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Did you see the short film they did with Harmony Korine? I'm a fan. (ummm...NSFW)

Yes, I have. It's awesome. Seeing them live was even MORE so.

I just got back from the Pet Shop Boys, too......and THEY. WERE. AMAZING.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I saw Sturgill Simpson and Devin Townsend in 2016. Two of the best shows I've seen in a very long time.

Never thought I'd say that Queen w/ Adam Lambert would be one of the most entertaining shows that I've ever been to. Gotta a double feature this weekend: Billy Joel tonight, and Guns N Roses Sunday.

Iron Maiden was decent, they played mostly new stuff of their album, but did play a few classics.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Goblin just announced a concert here in November and tickets go on sale Friday. Has anybody else seen them live? I'm aware of their work on musical scores (their score for Dawn of the Dead is still amazing to this day), but was unaware that they were a band that regularly toured. I'm really curious how they pull off their live shows because I'm thinking about going.

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Now that was a show.

Bassnectar. Absolutely killing it for concerts.

All said and done, he might be my favorite performer on stage.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Just saw my first Roots show, and good lord, I'll have to see more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, that Garth Brooks show was ten shades of awesome.

Yet another thing I thought I’d never say.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Celebrated my birthday this past week by attending my first Babymetal concerts in Orlando and Atlanta. Here's my reviews for those shows. http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2019/09/...lando-and.html

Flogging Molly was most excellent.

Currently at Riot Fest. About an hour ago I saw The Hu. Mongolian Throat Metal.

It’s exactly as badass as it sounds.

Holy fuck.

MIND = BLOWN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I’m curious at what bac0n’s average BAC is for the entirety of Riot Fest.

It will be heavily skewed upwards by yesterday, to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Bands at Riot Fest that I was the most excited about.

1. Patti Smith
    How could she NOT be number one? A legendary, iconic figure in rock & roll who at 72 years old, has only gotten better with age. The slow build of Gloria, from the almost meditative, elegiac opening to the total desperate sprint of the finale were probably the best 10 minutes spent at the entire fest.

2. Masked Intruder
    These guys were hysterical. Claiming to have formed in the joint, these four kids from Madison Wisconsin who inexplicably have thick Brooklyn accents have one of the best shticks I've seen come down the pipe in a while - they all wear brightly colored ski masks, their instruments and mics colored to match, and sing stampede-fast high energy songs about petty crime, with their parole officer on stage with them scowling the whole while.

3. The Hu
    Wanna know how to get 25000 Riot Festers to STFU? Start a Mongolian chant to thunderous drums and then lay into some of the most badass metal this side of the Gobi Desert. By the end of the set they had the entire place chancing their name, and the next day I saw a LOT of people wearing Hu T-shirts. I've already gushed about these guys, but it bears repeating. Seriously, you have to check them out.

4. Nick Lowe w/ Los Straitjackets
    LSJ are my favorite live band, and I've seen them a fair lot more than any other band. I lost count, but it's for sure north of 20 times by now. Yet, in all this time, I've never seen them perform outside, so this is a first. They've been touring with Nick Lowe for awhile now, and I must say, their work adds a nice honky tonk swing to such Nick Lowe classics as Cruel to be Kind.

5. Descendents
    My favorite hardcore band still touring, they played the night before in Minneapolis, so I had the pleasure of seeing them two nights in a row, and they were kind enough to start their set with Suburban Home, my fave song of theirs, so I was able to hold my own fairly well in the pit (thank you, strength training - also thank you to the fact that most Descendents fans are in their 40s like me).

6. Beaches
    I have a feeling that in a few years, these ladies are going to be headlining events like Riot Fest. Just some dirty chunky badass no frills rock that doesn't give a shit as to whether you like it or not.

7. The Struts
    I'm fairly certain that lead singer Luke Spiller was created in a lab using the combined DNA of Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Mick Jagger and Ric Flair. They then jacked him into the matrix and then uploaded ALL of the rock moves. All of them. Every damn one. Damn that guy can work a crowd. Helluva singer too.

8. Manchester Orchestra
    These guys were not what I expected, to be honest. Their song The Gold was playing a lot on the local radio station quite a bit two or so years ago, and I liked it, probably cuz it had a sort of The National vibe to it. I wasn't expecting them to be as guitar heavy as they wound up being, and I'm a total sucker for wall-of-sound guitar work, which these guys put out in spades.

9. Guided By Voices
    How do you follow up The Village People? With the village idiots! That's the joke with which Bob Pollard opened up the set, his ever present Miller Lite in one hand, mic in the other. Then he launched into Glad Girls, and it was on like donkey kong. I'm kinda late to the show with these guys, but I'm glad I discovered them while they're still touring and putting out albums (about 2-3 a year, in fact - 2018's Space Gun is freaking awesome).

10. The Selecter
    The legends of Second Wave Ska performed their seminal album, Too Much Pressure ,in its entirety, and it was, of course, awesome.

Honorable Mention
    A butter sculpture of John Stamos.

Another Honorable Mention
    10 dollar beers (assured my sobriety at the show)

Nice. I've seen a lot of Bikini Kill shirts crop up in Atlanta this year, and so I wish I'd been able to see their set somewhere. Guided by Voices was one of the more energetic shows I've seen in the last year.

Starting tomorrow, Sarah and I are going to see 4 shows in 5 days.
    Tomorrow: Sarah Chang, a classical violinist, doing a violin and piano duo at UGA
    Friday: Charli XCX
    Saturday: Pup with Illuminati Hotties
    Sunday: book club
    Monday: Weyes Blood

It promises to be exciting in retrospect and tiring in the moment.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I’m anxious to hear how good Book Club is.

;-)

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I’m anxious to hear how good Book Club is.
    You jest, but I would totally support a band with such a name. Naw, it's more that the local book club we go to is doing our monthly meet, but then last month we'd offered to do post-club drinks and life discussion since we're all already friendly on a book level. Not sure it'll work, but our initial thought that the Sunday would be free of late night wonkery dropped off once we realized that this is happening that day.

You and bacon, I believe, convinced us to add the Pup show after we realized how hectic this week was going to be...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I saw Pup a few months ago - loved them.

The new Charli XCX album is amazing. Enjoy the show.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast