Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hole in One

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Unbelievable finish. Not sure how much advantage they really give, but kind of sucks to see belly putter involved when it's that close. Still fun to watch, though.
    In my experience, its only what you're comfortable with. I have had absolutely zero luck with a belly putter. I'd putt better with a hockey stick. But then again I'm not on tour, so my abilities don't really count for anything.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)

Cabrera won the Masters in '09. Pretty unfair to call him washed up a mere four years later. In fact, of the top eight, seven have either won the Masters before or finished runner up. The only "never won anything" golfer in the hunt is Leishman.
    That's the only major he's won, though. How many times have we heard about him since then? He is the has been I was referring to especially.

I'm rooting for either Freddie Couples, an Aussie, or Brendt Snedeker. I still remember Snedeker's tears when Immelman beat him in '08. He was devastated. The only person I don't want to see win it is Tiger. He should have been DQ'd anyway.
    The rules allowed Tiger to play on, and I have no problem with it. Too bad Couples and Snedeker trailed off. Also the Tiger hate is getting really silly. Without him not as many people would have been drawn to golf. Hate his personal life or what he's done off the course, but without him the number of people who watch golf wouldn't have grown even larger. There was a void waiting to be filled before he became a huge part of the sport, and it seems that with him no longer winning majors people have forgotten that. I hate the Patriots but they have been great for the NFL, for example.

PS: This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Ernie Els, one of Tigers former rivals btw.

Adam Scott winning was cool, although I did kind of want Angel to take it. Scott has spent plenty of time in the wilderness and finally he has broken on through. I wish that Bubba Watson had been more of a factor this weekend, though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    That's the only major he's won, though. How many times have we heard about him since then? He is the has been I was referring to especially.
    He also won the US Open in 2007. He also loves Augusta. He's good here every year.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    He also won the US Open in 2007. He also loves Augusta. He's good here every year.
    I actually thought that he won the US Open, but I didn't hear any mention of that this weekend. Strange. I like him as a golfer but I really wish he would be more consistent at times.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I would agree he probably knew he did it, but the official on scene, I don't know. He may have just missed it. And an illegal drop isn't a DQable offense, just the two stroke penalty they enforced. The signing of the scorecard is the DQable offense, BUT he cleared it with the officials before he did, so it wouldn't be fair to DQ him for their mistake.
    If he knew he did something wrong, he needed to penalize himself. That's the nature of golf. It's a self-policing sport. And like I said, the officials at The Masters didn't call him for it because they want him in contention Sunday for ratings purposes.

Anyway, what a fantastic final day. Snedeker collapses again, which was a shame to see, but Scott and Cabrera were great. Seem like genuinely good guys as well. Cabrera looking back and giving Scott a thumbs up on 10 after his approach shot was bested was pure class.

If he knew he did something wrong, he needed to penalize himself. That's the nature of golf. It's a self-policing sport. And like I said, the officials at The Masters didn't call him for it because they want him in contention Sunday for ratings purposes.

Anyway, what a fantastic final day. Snedeker collapses again, which was a shame to see, but Scott and Cabrera were great. Seem like genuinely good guys as well. Cabrera looking back and giving Scott a thumbs up on 10 after his approach shot was bested was pure class.
    Perfectly fair observations, but non of which end in a legal DQ.

Yeah I loved the thumbs up. I love it when players appreciate /encourage each other. Imo the absolute core of the sport.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Unbelievable finish. Not sure how much advantage they really give, but kind of sucks to see a belly putter involved when it's that close. Still fun to watch, though.
    I don't think there's any advantage. If Cabrera could putt better with a belly putter than a traditional putter he'd be using one.

Gotta love seeing playoff holes. I don't pay any attention to Golf outside of The Masters, and when it comes down to that final hour, it's extremely fun to watch.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What do people mean when they say they "like" a certain golfer.

What separates one from the other? Style, demeanor, post-round interviews?

I'm just asking because they all seem the same to me. I don't really follow the sport other than the majors. I play maybe once or twice a year.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

That's his, and the officials, choice. I imagine they would do the same thing for say, Phil or Rory btw.

From what I read online Cabrera actually helped out Scott a couple years back when Scott was going through frustrating times where he wasn't playing well. It was great to see him congratulating Scott, yes.

Ah the belly putter debate. I'll just go with whatever the final ruling on them will be by the governing body. But really if they are banned they should be banned just from tournaments. I don't see any reason to ban their use from people who are just casual golfers and only get out maybe once or twice every couple of weeks at most. I guess I don't have a strong feeling on them one way or another since I can't afford one anyways and I'm a younger golfer who doesn't play as much as he used to.

I'll admit that as much as I love golf, I only get really excited during the major tourneys. Still I do try to follow my favorite golfers even when they play non-major events. Right now my fav 5 who are still playing would be:

1. Ernie Els
    2. Phil Mickelson
    3. Zach Johnson
    4. Rory McIlroy
    5. Bubba Watson

I actually got to meet Zach at Irish Democrat in Cedar Rapids one time. He was very nice, and I had to ask him how it felt to win the Masters, heh. I didn't bother to pester him for an autograph, and it was just cool to see him in person. He's done a lot for Cedar Rapids golf over the years.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I'm so happy that Lefty won the British Open today. It was a glorious victory, as he shot -5 to finish at -3 and win his first Open. Now for him to finally get that tricky US Open in the bag.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Masters is raved about the most, but I think it's the British Open that looks the most challenging.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Masters is raved about the most, but I think it's the British Open that looks the most challenging.
    Oh yeah the British Open is the toughest major in all of golf. It makes grown men cry. Phil finishing with -3 there is akin to winning the Masters at -10, at least.

BTW I can't really bring myself to care about the PGA Championship. Its the leftovers after the tradition filled Masters, the always entertaining US Open, and the elite class of the Open.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Hurray for Bubba Watson winning a second Masters. Too bad Tiger didn't play.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I was happy for Bubba, too. I can't believe that shot he hit on the 15th hole. I had Jean van de Velde flashbacks for a brief moment.

Everyone did, I think.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Tiger Woods won his 80th tourney today. It took him long enough, heh.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Let's see if he can win another major.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Forgot we had a golf thread. Earlier this year I went up to St. Andrews and played one of the newer courses. Was tough, but fun 18 holes.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I've only played once this year, at the company scramble. I actually played well.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Let's see if he can win another major.
    He did come somewhat close this year. So its possible.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    Forgot we had a golf thread. Earlier this year I went up to St. Andrews and played one of the newer courses. Was tough, but fun 18 holes.
    I only found it when I got bored and looked back through my list of created threads. That sounds awesome, btw. I managed to get out and play 18 holes once this year and 9 holes twice.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've only played once this year, at the company scramble. I actually played well.
    I wish I was good heh. That sounds fun.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I wish I was good heh. That sounds fun.
    Oh I've never put a complete game together. Still never broke 90. I'm usually happy if I get some good shots in each part of the game.

I have never broke 100 in 18 holes, but I came close a few times. My putting is still decent at least.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast