Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hole in One

That was a great round of golf today. Very exciting.

Masters coverage is basically a four hour handjob of the grandeur of golf and its participants.

It is beyond maudlin.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Congrats, Charl Schwartzel. Great final round of golf. MadMan, I'm also a huge fan of Ernie Els, so I always tend to root for the South African golfers.
    Awesome concerning Ernie. I'm just sad that his career is close to being over, largely due to that knee surgery he had to have a couple years back.

I wanted McIlroy to win, but I've always liked Tiger and I consider him to be one of the greatest golfers. However I don't want Tiger to break the Golden Bear's majors record. I hope that record stands forever.

Meh on Schwartzel winning, just because I have a feeling the guy will be like Mike Weir or Zach Johnson and never win another Masters again, and probably never win another major, either, although I don't recall if Weir has more than one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Spanish golf great Seve Ballesteros dies at 54

Really a damn shame. He was truly a legend. I wish I had been around during his prime to watch him play. Especially to see his famous parking lot shot. RIP.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Spanish golf great Seve Ballesteros dies at 54

Really a damn shame. He was truly a legend. I wish I had been around during his prime to watch him play. Especially to see his famous parking lot shot. RIP.
    I've been dreading this inevitable news. 54 is far too young.
    I was watching today's coverage of the Wells Fargo event, and Nick Faldo was choking up when we was talking about his memories of Seve.

In happier news, MadMan, Ernie Els is being inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame on Monday. I wish I could be there--we only live a few hours away from St. Augustine.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    This is the best ending to a golf tournament I may have ever seen.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

I actually regret missing the end of the PGA Championship. At the time I was visiting my grandparents.

In happier news, MadMan, Ernie Els is being inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame on Monday. I wish I could be there--we only live a few hours away from St. Augustine.
    Fantastic news.

I really didn't mean to neglect this thread, especially since I forgot to post about the US Open, which is my favorite major, and the British Open, which is the toughest major in all of golf.

Oh and I'm starting to think that Tiger's career is all but over. We'll see next year. The bad person within doesn't want him to break the Golden Bear's records, even though I like Tiger and think he's one of the best golfers to play the game.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

This just in: Tiger Woods wins. He might be back, people! ritch:

However, I will admit that how he does in the Masters determines if he's truly returned to form or not. Still a 5 stroke victory is pretty nice. McDowell showed us all why he'll never win another major in quite some time, maybe never again.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Wow I really should have bumped this thread when Ernie Els won the British Open. That was great.

And Tiger Woods is in the hunt once again, which is why despite his age and lack of majors over the last couple of years you don't leave the door open for him to win. I'm hoping he takes the Masters and I think he has a shot at winning the US Open. Maybe even the British Open, too.

Plus Phil still has something in the tank, and Bubba Watson and fellow younger American golfers has me excited about the sport. I'm still waiting for Ricky Fowler to fulfill his promise, though.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

With the weather finally coming around...I am getting the itch!

We were just talking about trying to do a golf outing sometime last night at work. I'm pretty sure it's the first time golf has ever been mentioned in the almost 2 years I've been here.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Showing how rattled he is by the penalty, Tiger birdies #1.

Phil is a mess.

Whatney is on a tear.

I'm rooting for Fred Couples now. Also I can't believe that Ángel Cabrera is up at the top of the leaderboard. Its washed up golfers/never been won anythings style golfers at the Masters this weekend. Which is bad for ratings, but good for an exciting finish.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I'm not really rooting for anyone, but I dislike Cabrerra so I want him out.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I'm rooting for Fred Couples now. Also I can't believe that Ángel Cabrera is up at the top of the leaderboard. Its washed up golfers/never been won anythings style golfers at the Masters this weekend. Which is bad for ratings, but good for an exciting finish.

Cabrera won the Masters in '09. Pretty unfair to call him washed up a mere four years later. In fact, of the top eight, seven have either won the Masters before or finished runner up. The only "never won anything" golfer in the hunt is Leishman.

I'm rooting for either Freddie Couples, an Aussie, or Brendt Snedeker. I still remember Snedeker's tears when Immelman beat him in '08. He was devastated. The only person I don't want to see win it is Tiger. He should have been DQ'd anyway.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    He should have been DQ'd anyway.
    Completely disagree. You can't go back after a football game is over and say "oh we missed that call, so Giants lose." There are missed calls in every sport, and he cleared it with an official before turning in his card. I'm not really rooting for Tiger either, but DQing him for turning in a faulty card after saying it was okay would not be right.

I don't know the ins and outs of how the decision was arrived at. But he clearly dropped the ball in violation of the rules to gain an advantage, and he certainly signed a scorecard that didn't note that. Two years ago he would've been DQ'd.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I don't know the ins and outs of how the decision was arrived at. But he clearly dropped the ball in violation of the rules to gain an advantage, and he certainly signed a scorecard that didn't note that.
    And he cleared it with the officials before he signed his card. The officials said it was okay. That is on the officials. It would not be right to tell him he's safe, and then change their minds, and then DQ him for signing a card that they told him was legit.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    And he cleared it with the officials before he signed his card. The officials said it was okay. That is on the officials. It would not be right to tell him he's safe, and then change their minds, and then DQ him for signing a card that they told him was legit.
    If that's the case I agree, though I still disagree with the officials' ruling.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    If that's the case I agree, though I still disagree with the officials' ruling.
    Oh yeah, it was an improper call, I'm not arguing that at all.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Oh yeah, it was an inproper call, I'm not arguing that at all.
    No, that's my argument as well. They didn't want to hit him with a penalty because he's Tiger Woods and he's good for ratings, but the TV watch dogs and his own post game comments didn't let that fly. The reason I think he should have been DQ'd is because it's obvious he did it on purpose, and if anyone knows the rules, it's Tiger. I'm not buying this "no intent" and "accidental" nonsense. You can't tell me Tiger didn't know he wasn't allowed to give himself two yards of extra distance on his drop. He did that on purpose, and the officials let it go because they want the best player out there on Sunday.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    No, that's my argument as well. They didn't want to hit him with a penalty because he's Tiger Woods and he's good for ratings, but the TV watch dogs and his own post game comments didn't let that fly. The reason I think he should have been DQ'd is because it's obvious he did it on purpose, and if anyone knows the rules, it's Tiger. I'm not buying this "no intent" and "accidental" nonsense. You can't tell me Tiger didn't know he wasn't allowed to give himself two yards of extra distance on his drop. He did that on purpose, and the officials let it go because they want the best player out there on Sunday.
    I would agree he probably knew he did it, but the official on scene, I don't know. He may have just missed it. And an illegal drop isn't a DQable offense, just the two stroke penalty they enforced. The signing of the scorecard is the DQable offense, BUT he cleared it with the officials before he did, so it wouldn't be fair to DQ him for their mistake.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    What a finish. Shit's getting real, guys, time to tune in!
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    What a finish. Shit's getting real, guys, time to tune in!
    Great ending!! Loved it. Congrats to Adam Scott and Australia!

Unbelievable finish. Not sure how much advantage they really give, but kind of sucks to see a belly putter involved when it's that close. Still fun to watch, though.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast