Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Killing

The Killing

I figure we're probably going to be discussing enough spoilery stuff that we should keep it out of the television discussion thread.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i'm glad he's not a superhero TV detective but his attitude and disregard for what's considered the norm seems unrealistic to me for someone who is on their first case and, i imagine, wouldn't want to fuck it up.
    I've noticed a trend towards realism when dealing with police in television by making them much more blue-collar and lower-middle-class. That's true-- most people who join the police force aren't very well educated. I feel like his character takes that trend to a somewhat alarming extreme. (I've never seen a cop, who is essentially one of the good guys, deliberately get school girls high to pump them for information. That was new.)

However, I feel like it might be pushing the bounds of realism. This isn't Harlan County-- the show takes place in Seattle, a major metropolis with a large police force. If someone was going to be promoted to homicide, there would be a wide pool of applicants to choose from, and I can't imagine Detective Scawny being at the top of the list. (I can't remember his name.)

I thought the main detective was more realistic, and I thought her actress was extremely talented.
    ...and the milk's in me.

This is the Danish show? Supposed to be great! I've been meaning to buy season 1 to try it out.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    This is the Danish show? Supposed to be great! I've been meaning to buy season 1 to try it out.
    No, they're talking about the remake.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    If you watch the original Danish, let us know if it's good.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    However, I feel like it might be pushing the bounds of realism. This isn't Harlan County-- the show takes place in Seattle, a major metropolis with a large police force. If someone was going to be promoted to homicide, there would be a wide pool of applicants to choose from, and I can't imagine Detective Scawny being at the top of the list. (I can't remember his name.)
    But what if he was actually a really good detective? Would it matter if he had a "stoner" personality, especially if he was coming from working undercover in narcotics? I feel like part of this show is going to be focused on legitimizing this character in the eyes of the viewer. If you look on the Seattle PD page for the Homicide Unit, the only stat they give you is the solve rate (80%). I don't see a stat for the number of clean cut detectives.

he's a narco-vice guy, so of course he's gonna be a little rough around the edges, and the stuff they've shown him doing is nothing compared to what i've seen the LA strike team do in 4 seasons on the shield (which i've watched in the last month or so)

and why are you guys so convinced he actually got those teenagers high? i mean it's most likely what actually happened, but i wouldn't be so surprised to find out he tricked those kids into thinking they were high

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    i wouldn't be so surprised to find out he tricked those kids into thinking they were high
    This was my intuition as I was watching it. Not sure if it will ever be confirmed for us.

and why are you guys so convinced he actually got those teenagers high? i mean it's most likely what actually happened, but i wouldn't be so surprised to find out he tricked those kids into thinking they were high
    That would be a pretty seat-of-the-pants gambit, since he has no idea if they are experienced with drugs or not. I think it was pot, but I don't necessarily think he's a stoner. He may just keep it around to get what he wants (which would also be useful as a narcotics officer.)

I'm really hoping they don't play with a romantic relationship between the two leads. They dropped a couple leads, like how he empathized with her child, and her fascination with the tattoo on his neck, but I don't think the show needs a romance there.
    ...and the milk's in me.

yeah it's a gambit, but those girls did not look like the type to be into any types of drugs. he's a cop, he should be able identify people who can be easily manipulated for information

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    What does him having some weed and/or giving a couple puffs to high school girls have to do with him being an effective detective? It was a good gamble and he got what he needed; he found the murder site.

I'm not sure if it is any more "realistic" than the L&O detectives with the high moral codes, but it certainly felt more sincere.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Psch. Big deal. 80% of the cops on The Wire are drunk on the job.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

he's a narco-vice guy, so of course he's gonna be a little rough around the edges, and the stuff they've shown him doing is nothing compared to what i've seen the LA strike team do in 4 seasons on the shield (which i've watched in the last month or so)
    because the shield is obviously going for unaffected realism. :P

i think mara's point makes sense, unless this guy was unnaturally efficient on the vice squad i can't see why they would've tapped him for homicide over someone else. he seems a bit more like a caricature than a character. this is really a minor complaint though and otherwise i'm loving the show.

has anyone seen forbrydelsen? i'm wondering how his character compares.

If you watch the original Danish, let us know if it's good.
    Have you read the comments on icine?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Have you read the comments on icine?
    I stopped because some people were making me crazy.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I stopped because some people were making me crazy.
    Indeed. I should have stopped too. I haven't been as frustrated in a long time.

i just went and lurked and i'm with you two.

I took a look at the thread, and the complaints are whirling over my head, too. I actually lived in Seattle for the first 25 years of my life. I could tell it wasn't actually shot there, but I thought they captured the ambiance of the city quite nicely without "exotifying" it (whatever that even means). The other complaints seem to be about formal execution, writing, and the casting. I say it's too soon to tell about the latter two variables, but as far as execution, I thought this was at the top tier as far as pilots go. No telling how the casting will pan out, but it seems pretty damn evident that they were focused on things beyond name recognition and objective attractiveness. That alone gives me hope for these actors.

Yeah, the girls weren't high. You don't get high off of one puff and 30 seconds of effect. "This is great weed, I'm so stoned right now" is just what lame non-pot smokers say to try and look cool to someone they are trying to impress, like a tall-mysterious-pot-smoking-danger-cop. The scene was great though. It seemed befitting of his character already to do his detective work in a rather unorthodox fashion but nonetheless effective.

Anyway, I thought the pilot was great. I get a little tired of the constant presence of rain. Reminds me of Se7en, but hey, I don't live in Seattle so maybe it's really like that. I'm also hoping they find a quick way for the main character to stay and finish the case so we don't have a season full of excuses as to why she can't leave for another day and then another day and then...you get the point.

i got curious last night and watched the first few episodes of forbrydelsen. the first two episodes of the amc series roughly correspond with the first three of the danish one (though i think i had the mole in the mayoral candidate's office spoiled for me). it's a remarkably faithful remake, the first hour is almost scene for scene. they streamlined a subplot in the second two episodes where it looked like one of the candidate's volunteers was responsible but then it turned out the car was stolen. also, her son hasn't been seen as of yet.

the one big difference is the portrayal of rookie detective. he's portrayed as impulsive and tempermental in the danish series but he's not constantly making sleazy sexual comments nor does the pot scene exist. hard to say which i prefer at this point, but i'll probably wait until the killing is finished to continue so as not to reveal any more substantial spoilers.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    What does him having some weed and/or giving a couple puffs to high school girls have to do with him being an effective detective? It was a good gamble and he got what he needed; he found the murder site.
    It likely wasn't the murder site since in the first scene she's being chased in the woods where the body was found.

Strange that the bloody bed and walls were completely untouched by whoever did that. You'd think that they would try to cover up the evidence. Though there's a chance it was unrelated to Rosie's death, we don't know.

Be interesting to see how the political angle plays out. I got hints that the councilman's mistress is involved in the murder but can't really explain why.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Be interesting to see how the political angle plays out. I got hints that the councilman's mistress is involved in the murder but can't really explain why.
    i have an inkling that with the mole in his organization the whole thing might have been set up by someone to sabotage his campaign, but i imagine it's a bit more complicated than that.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i have an inkling that with the mole in his organization the whole thing might have been set up by someone to sabotage his campaign, but i imagine it's a bit more complicated than that.
    I hope so. I'm really hoping this show can deliver a satisfying mystery web. The chessboard is set, for sure. I hope the game is worth watching. I'm going to be disappointed if this show pulls a wild card out of the hat during the season finale a la Veronica Mars. Now in VM's defense, unraveling the mysteries wasn't the main reason I watched the show, but it kind of irked me how there wasn't a hope the viewer could figure it out before the final episode.

another strong hour. i'm warming up to holder (that's his name right?) a bit.

That bathtub drowning scene was brutal.

A strong hour. The crime is getting pretty gruesome. I hope we focus more on the mystery and less on the sordid details.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Still solid, but I hope they find a way to tie the campaign closer to the mystery soon. It seems like such an aside at this point compared to what's happening with the detectives and the family. I'm sure everything is closely knit together, but hopefully it won't take an entire season to get there.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast