Thread: Enter the 36 Chambers: My Lifelong Obsession with the Wu-Tang Clan

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar

6. Genius/GZA - "Liquid Swords"

“And the GZA, the G is just the Genius, hee
    He’s the backbone of the whole shit

It’s self explanatory, Genius

He the head, let’s put it that way
    We form like Voltron, and GZA happen to be the head"

Released in November 1995 "Liquid Swords" featured every member of the Wu-Tang Clan along with Killah Priest (who even gets his own solo song) and Dreddy Kruger. The cover art was done by DC artist Denys Cowan.

The GZA is not only my favorite Wu-Tang member he's also my favorite hip-hop artist ever and "Liquid Swords" is my favorite hip-hop album. Every track is top of the line stuff with the samples and GZA's precise flow and intelligent lyrics. I remember the first time I watched Shogun Assassin I had a big smile on my face the whole time getting to see all the scenes that were used in this album.

"Liquid Swords" is the album I would give to someone who never listened to the Wu and wanted to know what they were about.

Highlights: "Duel of the Iron Mic", "4th Chamber", "Hell's Wind Staff/Killah Hills 10304", and "Swordsman" specifically but the whole album is a highlight.

Review: A+
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Two of my top 100 albums without a doubt, probably 50. Liquid Swords in particular blew me away like only a handful of albums have on my first listen.

Are you going to go through all the Wu Tang solo stuff with this thread, or just the classics?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Are you going to go through all the Wu Tang solo stuff with this thread, or just the classics?
    Everything!
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Everything!
    Even Cappadonna's stuff?!!

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Even Cappadonna's stuff?!!
    I'm a Cappadonna fan so yes.
    TV Recently Finished:

well, now i have to listen to liquid swords.

"Just me and you motherfucker, just me and you.
    I'll put trademarks around your fucking eye."

7. Ghostface Killah - "Ironman"

"Ironman" was released in October 1996. It had appearances by all members of the Wu-Tang Clan except GZA and Ol' Dirty Bastard. Also featured Cappadonna, Jamie Sommers, Force MD's, The Delfonics, and Mary J. Blige. The RZA handled the production on all the tracks but one "Fish" which was done by True Master.

Where "Liquid Swords" would get me thinking, "Ironman" gets me amped up. I used to listen to this before basketball games to get me ready for battle. We have maybe my favorite Wu-Tang song of all time "Winter Warz" with U-God giving a fantastic verse and then Cappadonna giving one of my favorite verses ever where it feels like he's never going to let the track end. Both Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa killing it on "Assassination Day" and then Ghostface getting sentimental with "All That I Got Is You" with Mary J. Blige.

The way RZA picks out samples that are so memorable (here the main quotable ones are from the film "The Education of Sonny Carson") and so fit the tone of the album he picks them for is pretty remarkable. His production on "Ironman" takes the kung-fu flick sound of "Liquid Swords" and adds a Blaxploitation element to it which fits perfectly. No disrespect to Robert Downey Jr. but Ghostface Killah will always be the one and only Tony Stark.

Highlights: "Winter Warz", "Assassination Day", "Iron Maiden", "Black Jesus", "All That I Got Is You"

TV Recently Finished:

i don't like that one nearly as much as you. is 'wildflower' the insanely misogynistic track i'm thinking of? probably the most vile wu-tang track i've heard. it's still a pretty good album, but nowhere near the heights ghostface would reach, IMO.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i don't like that one nearly as much as you. is 'wildflower' the insanely misogynistic track i'm thinking of? probably the most vile wu-tang track i've heard. it's still a pretty good album, but nowhere near the heights ghostface would reach, IMO.
    Yeah, Wildflower has great production but that's usually the one song I skip on the album.
    TV Recently Finished:

Legend of the/Liquid Swords are brilliant. Great film, too.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates philosophies and hypotheses can't define how I be droppin these mockeries, lyrically perform armed robbery, flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me"

8. Wu-Tang Clan - "Wu-Tang Forever"

"Wu-Tang Forever" is a double cd album released in June 1997. It has guest appearances by Cappadonna, Ms. Roxy, Tekitha, and Streetlife. It's produced mainly by the RZA but True Master, 4th Disciple, and Inspectah Deck also produce some of the tracks.

RZA's production values took a huge step up in this album using strings heavily this album makes me feel like I'm listening to a hip-hop opera at times.
    Every Wu member gets their time to shine here with Inspectah Deck and Cappadonna both getting people anticipating their solo releases with more classic verses.

"Triumph" is pretty much the perfect Wu-Tang song. It features every member of the Clan on it in top form and has a great beat. RZA considers Ghostface Killah's verse on "Impossible" the best Wu-Tang verse ever written.

Highlights: "Reunited", "For Heaven's Sake", "Severe Punishment", "It's Yourz", "Triumph", "Impossible"

Tracks I skip: "Wu-Revolution" (an almost 7 minute spoken word was a horrible way to start the album), "Maria", "Black Shampoo", "Second Coming"

Review: A
    TV Recently Finished:

Wu-Tang Forever was my introduction to them. It's probably still my favorite, with "Triumph" being one of my favorite songs period.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

9. Killarmy - "Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars"

"Silent Weapons" was the first major Wu-Tang affiliate release. Killarmy is a 7 man group consisting of Killa Sin, Beretta 9, Islord, 9th Prince, P.R. Terrorist aka Dom Pachino, ShoGun Assasson, and producer 4th Disciple. This album featured appearances by Masta Killa, Cloud 9, Hell Razah, and Prodigal Sunn. The album was produced mainly by 4th Disciple with RZA producing two of the tracks.

Killarmy is probably most known for their more miltary themed lyrics then the typical more kung-fu/mafia raps of the Wu-Tang Clan. "Silent Weapons" uses samples from Full Metal Jacket, M.A.S.H., and the Incredible Hulk theme in a very similar way to how RZA created a cohesive feel to "Liquid Swords" and "Ironman".

For me P.R. Terrorist aka Dom Pachino and Killa Sin are the standouts of the group as far as lyricists go although the other guys aren't bad either. My favorite track is "Blood for Blood" which stands out with the Dead can Dance sample as the chorus. "Silent Weapons" is a solid album with out any skippable tracks but the flows and verses overall don't stand out as much as the main Wu-Tang albums do.

Highlights: "Clash of the Titans", "Blood for Blood", "Wake Up", "Wu-Renegades"

Review: B-
    TV Recently Finished:

10. Gravediggaz - "The Pick, the Sickle and the Shovel"

Released in October 1997 the Gravediggaz second album is a pretty big departure from their first album. The album's production is also heavily split up between members of the group and other Wu-affiliates with no one person producing more then 3 tracks. Features guest appearances by Kelis, Scientific Shabazz, Omen, Killah Priest, Hell Razah, True Master, Blue Raspberry, 9th Prince, and Aleem Brothers.

The "horrorcore" sound of "Six Feet Deep" is completely removed and founding member Prince Paul only appears to produce a skit and the outro (even though he appears on the cover). Unfortunately "The Pick, the Sickle and the Shovel" has four standout tracks but the rest is just average with lackluster production and in the case of "Elimination Process", "Fairytalez", and "What's Goin' On?" good verses with a terrible chorus or hook.

It's a shame that is the last real Gravediggaz album since shortly after this album's release Prince Paul and RZA left the group and Poetic (the group's best rapper besides RZA) died in 2001.

Highlights: "Dangerous Mindz", "Twelve Jewelz", "Pit of Snakes", "The Night the Earth Cried"

Review: C+
    TV Recently Finished:

i haven't even heard of that killarmy record.

11. Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental"

Killah Priest is a Wu-Tang affiliate who is best known for his solo track "B.I.B.L.E." on GZA's "Liquid Swords" and is also a member of Wu-group Sunz of Man. His debut album "Heavy Mental" features guest appearances by Inspectah Deck, GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Tekitha, Hell Razah, 60 Second Assassin, and Antonio Chance. The production is mostly handled by 4th Disciple and True Master.

I've always wanted to like this album more than I do. I wish Killah Priest would get more amped sometimes like his verse in "Cross My Heart" but most of the album he's rapping at a kind of monotone level where while the lyrics are good it's lacking energy. Same thing with the production it's serviceable but not exceptional.

I find Killah Priest and "Heavy Mental" as a whole more enjoyable when I listen to it a few tracks at a time mixed in with other Wu stuff. But if you haven't heard him before check out the highlights and give him a shot.

Highlights: "Cross My Heart", "One Step", "Heavy Mental", "If You Don't Know", "The Professional", "B.I.B.L.E.", "From Then Till Now"

Review: B-
    TV Recently Finished:

12. Cappadonna - "The Pillage"

Cappadonna's first album "The Pillage" was released in March 1998 with guest vocals by U-God, Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, Solomon Childs, Blue Raspberry, Tekitha, and Rhyme Recca. Production was mostly split between RZA, True Master, and Goldfingaz with 4th Disciple and Mathematics doing a track each.

Cappadonna is pretty slept on in my opinion as far as Wu lyricists go. He easily holds his own when he's on a track with Ghostface Killah and Raekwon the two Wu members he collaborates with the most. He's delivered some great verses on other people's tracks but here on "The Pillage" he delivers a competent album but besides a few great tracks the rest is just average. The production for the most part is great and does a good job keeping the Wu-Tang sound but the choruses on some of the tracks bring down any momentum the verses had.

Highlights: "Slang Editorial", "Run", "Supa Ninjaz", "Everything is Everything"

TV Recently Finished:

13. Wu-Tang Killa Bees - "The Swarm"

This Killa Bees album released in July 1998 was basically a way to showcase all of the Wu-Tang affiliates along with some tracks featuring the main Wu members. You have the RZA, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa, Cappadonna, Royal Fam, Sunz of Man, Shyheim, Hell Razah, Streetlife, A.I.G., Killarmy, Black Knights of the North Star, Ruthless Bastards, The Beggaz, Remedy, and Wu-Syndicate. With the RZA handling about half the production and other Wu members doing the rest.

I fucking love this album. I've probably listened to "The Swarm" as much as almost any other Wu-Tang album. Every song is great with the production, the lyrics, and the hooks. Not a single track that I skip. I love the sample that's repeated on "Co-Defendant" by Shyheim and Hell Razah which if I had to pick one would be my favorite track on the album. Cappadonna gives another one of his killer verses on "'97 Mentality" and the Jewish Wu-Tang afilliate Remedy makes his debut with a Holocaust remembrance track "Never Again".

I remember after this came out being so excited about the Wu-Tang side groups on "The Swarm" releasing more music and then some of them never released an album, split up, or dropped one album and were never heard from again, but at least they got one classic album out of it.

Highlights: (the whole album but specifically) "Legacy" by Royal Fam, "Co-Defendant" by Shyheim and Hell Razah, "And Justice For All" by RZA, Killarmy & Method Man, "Punishment" by Black Knights of the North Star, "Cobra Clutch" by Ghostface Killah, "Never Again" by Remedy, "'97 Mentality" by Cappadonna & Ghostface Killah

TV Recently Finished:

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I could possibly do one of these when it comes to The Quannum Crew. This is impressive. I have a lot of these albums but have yet to check most of them out. I'll be sure to use this guide for most of my Wu listenings. Also my other favorite part is the inability to tell the difference between 1994 and 2004.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I could possibly do one of these when it comes to The Quannum Crew. This is impressive. I have a lot of these albums but have yet to check most of them out. I'll be sure to use this guide for most of my Wu listenings. Also my other favorite part is the inability to tell the difference between 1994 and 2004.
    Thanks! I'm not stopping by the way it's just that it was alot easier to crank these out everyday when I was sitting home recovering from surgery especially since I'm relistening to all of the albums. Now that I'm back to work I'm shooting for two a week.
    TV Recently Finished:

14. Sunz of Man - "The Last Shall Be First"

Sunz of Man is a Wu-affiliate group consisting of Killah Priest, 60 Second Assassin, Prodigal Sunn, and Hell Razah. "The Last Shall Be First" which was released in July 1998 features guest apperances by Masta Killa, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Method Man, Raekwon, U-God, Trebag, True Master, Dreddy Kruger, Tekitha, Shabazz the Disciple, and Beretta 9. Production is mainly handled by various Wu-producers along with RZA doing three tracks and Wyclef Jean doing one.

I hadn't listened to this album in at least 5 or so years since it's sitting on a broken computer's hard drive. It's about how I remembered it: average. Besides the songs I have listed in highlights the production and lyrics are all serviceable but unless your searching out every Wu album there are far better albums to get. The songs with the actual Wu-Tang members are for the most part the standouts. Killah Priest my favorite member of the group is only on 6 of the 19 tracks since he was busy working on his own album when this one was being recorded.

Highlights: "Shining Star", "Collaboration '98", "Not Promised Tomorrow", "For the Lust of Money/The Grandz", "Next Up", "Intellectuals"

TV Recently Finished:

i obtained a copy of the swarm. haven't had a chance to give it a full listen yet, but i liked the few tracks i flipped through when i got it.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    i obtained a copy of the swarm. haven't had a chance to give it a full listen yet, but i liked the few tracks i flipped through when i got it.
    Good to hear. Let me know what you think.
    TV Recently Finished:

15. Killarmy - "Dirty Weaponry"

Killarmy's second album was released in August 1998. It has a much bigger presence by Islord who was incarcerated during the recording of their first album and only appeared on two songs. The only guest appearances are Killah Priest and Holocaust. Production is mainly handled by 4th Disciple with Mathematics doing two tracks and Russ Prez doing one.

Great album. I still don't really care for 9th Prince's flow but every other member has upped their game since "Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars". This album really focuses on the group members with only two guest appearances (Killah Priest only appears on a chorus and Holocaust gives great performances on two tracks) unlike most Wu-affliate albums. Islord makes up for lost time and moves up to become my second favorite member behind Dom Pachino.

Highlights: "Galactics", "Doomsday", "The Shoot Out", "Red Dawn", "Bastard Swordsman"

Review: B+
    TV Recently Finished:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast