Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enter the 36 Chambers: My Lifelong Obsession with the Wu-Tang Clan

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar

Enter the 36 Chambers: My Lifelong Obsession with the Wu-Tang Clan

9 Members. All with unique flows, lyrics and personalities. They have a library of close to 100 group and solo albums. Their first album came out in 1993 and every member except for the deceased Ol' Dirty Bastard is still releasing music to this day.

My introduction to the Wu-Tang Clan was with the Method Man music video "Bring the Pain". I was a freshman in high school and the hip-hop I was listening to at the time was mostly G Funk/West Coast stuff popular at my school (Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eazy E, Ice Cube, etc). And here was Method Man in a low production video looking homeless, crazy and with one clear eye with a style and dusty flow I hadn't heard before. I immediately went down to the mall music store and bought the cassette single.

Now I'm 32 and I've never stopped listening to them. Through the group and solo albums I don't think I've gone a month in my life where I haven't listened to a Wu-Tang song. I've went from high school where I was almost solely listening to hip-hop, to a punk phase, and then listening to all different types of music but Wu-Tang has always been my constant. I can always hear a Wu song and be sucked right back in.

I wanted to make a thread where I go through and break down my thoughts on each album. I know their are some fans around here who dropped off the Wu-Tang train a long time ago and some people who have never heard their music so I'll link to songs/videos when available. Hope you all enjoy.

Scores so far:
    [
    ]
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Interested in this. You read the Tao of Wu?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Interested in this. You read the Tao of Wu?
    Thanks for reminding me. I had literally forgot they had released that book along with The Wu-Manual. I just ordered them from amazon.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Nice. Should be a good read. I always wished I liked Wu Tang more than I do, which is not very much, given their love for old school Kung Fu cinema. But their music just doesn't do much for me. I do, however, love the RZA's soundtrack for Ghost Dog, and he's a great producer.

"My Wu-Tang slang is mad fucking dangerous!"

1. Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)"

The beginning. "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" Released in November 1993 this their first album is considered by most to be their best. This is where we get introduced to their use of kung fu samples, comic book and other pop culture references, and grimy RZA production who helped pioneer the use of classic soul samples which become a signature of the Wu-Tang sound.

We get at least one verse by every Wu member with Masta Killa (with only one) and U-God (with only two) getting the least amount. The RZA who is the groups leader and producer made all the members battle to get their verses on the album. Masta Killa who was the newest to rapping wasn't as polished as the others and barely made it on to the album. Method Man and Raekwon get the most verses. We also get our first taste of Ol' Dirty Bastard's very unorthodox sing song flow.

I love this album. At almost 20 years old it still sounds as fresh now as it did back in 1993. We get 12 tracks (7th Chamber Part 1 and 2 are the same song with different production) and not a weak link in the bunch. Every member does the most with their verses and shines. The way that "After Laughter (Comes Tears)" is used on "Tearz" is phenomenal. I wasn't listening to old school soul when this came out but it made me want to search out these songs.

Normally I'll pick my favorite and least favorite tracks but this album is perfect.

Review Score: A+
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Nice. Should be a good read. I always wished I liked Wu Tang more than I do, which is not very much, given their love for old school Kung Fu cinema. But their music just doesn't do much for me. I do, however, love the RZA's soundtrack for Ghost Dog, and he's a great producer.

He's also done some great commentaries about old kung fu movies. If I remember correctly, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin features a commentary track by him, and it's quite good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

2. Gravediggaz - "Six Feet Deep" (Released in August 1994)

At around the same time the RZA was getting the Wu-Tang Clan together he was asked by Prince Paul to be in a group he was getting together and along with Frukwan and Too Poetic, The Gravediggaz were born.

Six Feet Deep is considered to be a part of the "horrorcore" sub-genre of hip-hop which consists of horror themed lyrics. The album also featured appearances by future frequent Wu-family members, Killah Priest, Scientific Shabazz, and Dreddy Krueger. Most of the production was done by Prince Paul with the RZA doing two tracks so the sound is grimy but in a different way then what we see on his Wu stuff. The single "1-800-Suicide" was used on the Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight soundtrack.

It had been a long time since I listened to this album. I remember it taking me a while to warm up to since the sound is pretty different from the mainline Wu stuff I had been listening to. Overall it's not a bad album and there is not really a bad song on it but besides from two standout tracks ("Diary of a Madman" and "1-800-Suicide") the rest of the songs don't really have anything special that makes me want to listen to them over and over again.

Review: C
    TV Recently Finished:

This reminds me that I still need to check out the new Raekwon album.

I take it you're including Ghostface's solo stuff?

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    This reminds me that I still need to check out the new Raekwon album.

I take it you're including Ghostface's solo stuff?
    Yep.
    TV Recently Finished:

I like the Gravediggaz album quite a bit, and I'm a huge fan of Prince Paul. Good write up.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    He's also done some great commentaries about old kung fu movies. If I remember correctly, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin features a commentary track by him, and it's quite good.
    Oh yeah - he knows his shit. He's like my black brother from another mother. We both love kung fu and producing music.

"You Don't Know Me and You Don't Know My Style"

3. Method Man - "Tical"

The first solo Wu-Tang release "Tical" came in November 1994 almost one year after the group's debut album. Method Man who was considered a standout of their group album had the most outgoing personality and was a good fit to lead them off. It had verses from Raekwon, Inspectah Deck, RZA and also introduced us to some of the extended Wu family (Streetlife, Carlton Fisk & Blue Raspberry). All tracks were produced by the RZA with Method Man & 4th Disciple co-producing one track each.

A RZA remixed version of "All I Need" called "I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By" (not on the Tical album) featuring Mary J. Blige won a Grammy for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group.

"Tical" is a solid consistent album but doesn't have the number of classic tracks that the other early solo releases did. I love all the Wu members but Method Man isn't one of my favorites and he can't carry a full album ("Tical" has far less fellow Wu-Tang appearances then most of the upcoming solo albums) the way some of the others can.

Highlights: "Bring the Pain", "Mr. Sandman", "Meth vs. Chef"

Review: B
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    The first solo Wu-Tang release "Tical" came in November 2004 almost one year after the group's debut album. ]
    Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers came out about 1993. Do you mean 1994?

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Is everybody else aware that a RZA-directed, chop-socky martial arts movie starring Russell Crowe is apparently coming out this year?

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers came out about 1993. Do you mean 1994?
    Like I said in the Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers post it came out in november 1993. Tical came out in November 2004.
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    Is everybody else aware that a RZA-directed, chop-socky martial arts movie starring Russell Crowe is apparently coming out this year?
    Only if you listened to the podcast. I've got the inside scoop! ha.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What a fun thread. I got heavily into the Wu last year. Everything up to Wu-Tang Forever is brilliant. I like 6 Feet Deep a lot more than you apparently, but like Davis I am a big Prince Paul fan. The album is like hearing his beats RZA-fied.

awesome. i've always been fascinated by the wu tang clan. 36 chambers is one of my favorite albums but aside from some obvious ins (liquid swords, only built for cuban linx, ghostface's stuff) i've been kind of intimidated by their solo stuff. tical is actually one of the albums i checked out and was disappointed by. i will stay tuned and hopefully pick up some recommendations.

It's been fun re-listening to these albums all the way through for these write-ups. Some of these like the next one aren't really my go to Wu-Tang albums so I haven't listened to them in a while.
    TV Recently Finished:

4. Ol' Dirty Bastard - "Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version"

Released in March 1995 it features appearances by Wu members Raekwon, Method Man, GZA, RZA, Masta Killa, and Ghostface Killah along with affiliates Killah Priest, Buddha Monk, Brooklyn Zu, Prodigal Sunn, and 60 Second Assassin. Like most of the early Wu-Tang solo albums the production is mainly done by the RZA who works on 14 of the albums 17 tracks.

To be honest Ol' Dirty Bastard has always been my least favorite member but when he is on his game he's amazing as is the case with "Brooklyn Zoo" and "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" but overall he is far better in songs where he is collaborating with other artists instead of trying to carry a song on his own. Most of his solo tracks here are less actual songs and more just ODB's misogynistic ramblings.

On this album we also get a type of song which pops up on almost every future Wu album which is the sexually explicit song. These are the tracks I usually skip over because besides the lyrics there also usually not very good as is the case with "Drunk Game (Sweet Sugar Pie)". I don't want to be listening to my ipod and hear a song with Ol' Dirty Bastard orgasming or going into to detail about a girl giving him a blowjob. We do get some good posse cuts on here with "Snakes", "Raw Hide" and "Protect Ya Neck II The Zoo".

Highlights: "Shimmy Shimmy Ya", "Brooklyn Zoo", "Protect Ya Neck II The Zoo"

Lowlights: "Don't U Know", "Drunk Game (Sweet Sugar Pie)", "Harlem World"

Review: C
    TV Recently Finished:

Like I said in the Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers post it came out in november 1993. Tical came out in November 2004.
    The Method Man LP Tical came out in 1994 on Def Jam.

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    The Method Man LP Tical came out in 1994 on Def Jam.
    That's exactly what I said. I said it in the Tical post and again in the post responding to you. I don't know what you are asking.

Like I said before:

Enter the 36 Chambers came out November 1993
    Tical came out November 1994.
    TV Recently Finished:

That's exactly what I said. I said it in the Tical post and again in the post responding to you. I don't know what you are asking.

Like I said before:

Enter the 36 Chambers came out November 1993
    Tical came out November 1994.
    Not sure if serious...

Guess I'll be the first to say 6 Feet Deep is a masterpiece and a top 5 hiphop album for me.

5. Raekwon - "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..."

“And Shallah Raekwon he the Chef
    He cookin up some marvelous shit to get your mouth waterin
    On some “O shit” "

Released in August 1995 Raekwon's first solo album features appearances by every member of the Wu-Tang Clan along with Nas, Blue Raspberry, 60 Second Assassin, Popa Wu, and the first appearance of Wu-Tang's unofficial tenth member: Cappadonna.

Generally considered to be one of the best Wu-Tang solo albums and a plateau for Raekwon that he would forever be chasing. This album helped start the mafioso movement in hip-hop and was heavily influenced by Once Upon a Time in America, The Killer (which is sampled multiple times), and Brian DePalma films.

This was the first Wu-Tang solo album that blew me away. Classic track after classic track this album feels more like a group album since Raekwon is only on his own on a couple songs. From Blue Raspberry singing the hell out of the chorus on "Rainy Dayz" to Cappadonna's breakout verse on "Ice Cream" this album fires on all cylinders.

Highlights: "Criminology", "Rainy Dayz", "Guillotine (Swordz)", "Verbal Intercourse", "Wu-Gambinos"

Review: A
    TV Recently Finished:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast