Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contagion (Soderbergh)

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Solaris is fantastic. My favorite film of his easily.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Chac Mool (view post)
    Like, ever?

Out of Time, The Limey and Traffic are all very good -- and most of his stuff is at least worth a look.
    Oh wait, I've seen Ocean's 12 & 13, and Solaris. Whoops, red-faced.

I'll give him a try, like his acclaimed 90s work, eventually. Maybe if I like Contagion.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

You'd like The Limey, BBT. Start there.

Is Soderbergh still retiring? I'm still a big fan of his pre-Oceans work. He also gives great commentary.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Is Soderbergh still retiring? I'm still a big fan of his pre-Oceans work. He also gives great commentary.
    As far as we know. For someone as prolific as him though I would think that it would be a short lived retirement. Right now he's probably constantly taking off more than he can chew and he needs a break but at some point he'll get bored and want to make another film.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    You'd like The Limey, BBT. Start there.
    Cool, noted.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    Cool, noted.
    Personally I think Sex Lies and Videotape and Schizopolis are better.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Meh. Fairly rote and slow-going. Seemed Soderbergh was trying to mimic his work in Traffic, but it wasn't nearly as engaging (not that I've seen that film since I saw it in theatres 11 years ago). Then again I don't often find virus movies that engaging to begin with.

I think the best may still be The Andromeda Strain.

BTW, between this movie and watching Johnnie To's Vengeance Thursday night, it's been a Macau weekend for me.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

I thought it was neat. I kinda love the aesthetic and how it avoided dramatizing pretty much anything and just patiently and clinically detail how the CDC and WHO would actually handle this kind of outbreak. It makes the whole thing entirely anticlimactic and mundane (SOLUTION: just wait at home and carry on with normal life until the government get around to taking care of everything!) but if you're interested in that kind of stuff, it's fairly engaging.

It was a mistake to see it opening weekend though. Packed theater and everyone seemed bored by it. People kept checking the time on their phones.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Plus, this movie gives the finger to homeopathy, so that's a plus.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I thought it was neat. I kinda love the aesthetic and how it avoided dramatizing pretty much anything and just patiently and clinically detail how the CDC and WHO would actually handle this kind of outbreak. It makes the whole thing entirely anticlimactic and mundane (SOLUTION: just wait at home and carry on with normal life until the government get around to taking care of everything!) but if you're interested in that kind of stuff, it's fairly engaging.

It was a mistake to see it opening weekend though. Packed theater and everyone seemed bored by it. People kept checking the time on their phones.
    I agree that Soderberg approached the subject with a fair amount of clinical professionalism, which I appreciate, but you don't believe it was dramatized at all? Perhaps my problem with the film is that it dramatically toed the line so much and yet couldn't follow through with an effective subplot--leading to a half-dramatization of many threads. It feeds into the recent problem I've had in regards to Soderberg's recent films. Also, the aesthetic seemed stale by Soderberg standards; I know it's cold in Minnesota and warm in Georgia--so you still need to use the color gels? I think this is used much more effectively in Traffic.

Best in show, considering the role/sub-plot and performance: Jennifer Ehle.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I thought it was amusing that half the film played like a music-video of endless montage, albeit a pleasantly stylish one in that modern Soderbergh aesthetic scored to danceable techno beats.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    I agree that Soderberg approached the subject with a fair amount of clinical professionalism, which I appreciate, but you don't believe it was dramatized at all? Perhaps my problem with the film is that it dramatically toed the line so much and yet couldn't follow through with an effective subplot--leading to a half-dramatization of many threads.
    Well, I don't believe the virus plot itself gets any dramatization. There's no race against time, no herculean effort to find a cure, none of the characters gets thrusted into a dangerous journey, and there's no real dramatic investigation to find patient zero and the cause of the virus as the trailers cheekily suggested. It's just... hey, a new virus appeared, let's learn it. Even the fact that millions of people are dying from it is just treated as background news statistics in the film, rather than a ticking clock.

There's enough drama in the individual characters just to distinguish them apart so they're not just scientists babbling research terms, but they never go beyond the mundane reality of their situations.

Matt Damon loses his wife to the virus, so this everyman is transformed into... a guy who shuts himself and his daughter at home and just waits things out.

Lawrence Fishburne is the insider who stumbles into a scandal, so the government comes after him... and tells him, "Hey, chief, keep doing what you're doing, but you should probably stop talking to reporters, please."

Kate Winslet is the brilliant researcher given the task of finding the cure, so she... visits a bunch of sick people and collects data.

[
    ]
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Agreed.

The lack of dramatization was effectively more creepy and unnerving than anything else I've seen recently. Loved how they handled the deaths of Paltrow and their son. It just happens...no music, no breakdown, bam your dead.

Paltrow really sold that death twitch, too. That set the tone for the rest of the film.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    [youtube]LppK4ZtsDdM[/youtube]
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I thought this was quite good. Except there was this annoying couple sitting behind me in the theater, and whenever they heard or saw something from Minneapolis that they recognized, they, for some reason, had to repeat it out loud.

- "Where are you right now?"
    - "I'm at, uh, Lake and Lyndale."

"Ahahaha! Lake and Lyndale!"

Yeah, I fucking heard it.

Saw it today at the theatre, I thought it was just ok. It seemed to me that there were lots of topics, but dealt quite superfluously.

Fortyfive minutes into it. I need to go to bed, but this might be my movie of the year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Fortyfive minutes into it. I need to go to bed, but this might be my movie of the year.
    Just watched it a couple days ago, and I really enjoyed it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

This movie reminded me of most of Soderbergh's recent output. Engrossing and captivating but the material is handled in a very superficial manner. It seems like Soderbergh is more interested in juggling subplots than saying anything particularly meaningful. Most of the movie was pretty forgettable although the final scene was a nice, surprising touch.

This was great all around. Just enough drama to keep things interesting for each character, but never overthetop. Enough clinical talk, but not so wordy that you couldn't understand.

If anything, this movie shows me that Gwyneath Paltrow needs to be in more movies. This and Two Lovers makes me think she's one of the better actresses out there. Her seizure was probably the most realistic (and I've seen plenty on the field) I've seen in a movie before. Chilling.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I loved this. It's definitely my favorite Soderbergh movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You guys need to go back and watch the movie. Look at Donald Sutherland's helicopter pilot.

He's uncredited for some reason.
    This is who I thought was Damon.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast