Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the Matrix Resurrections

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'll file this under "believe it when I see it".
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I'll file this under "believe it when I see it".
    lol

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Rumor is that it's a Morpheus prequel rather than a remake and they want Michael B. Jordan to star. So reboot in the sense that it's restarting the franchise in a new direction.

I really can't see this actuall happening, but Hollywood is pretty weird these days.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I see what WB is doing. They want to 'Rouge One' the Matrix.

I see this happening and then some.

Same idea, but with "Morpheus" and maybe a Trinity appearance at the end. I get it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Michael B Jordan doesn't suit Morpheus at all, but whatever. Still doubt this ever happens.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Rumor is that it's a Morpheus prequel rather than a remake and they want Michael B. Jordan to star. So reboot in the sense that it's restarting the franchise in a new direction.

I really can't see this actuall happening, but Hollywood is pretty weird these days.
    I'm rewatching The Wire with my girlfriend, and we're half way through S1... It's so weird going back after all this time (my first rewatch), and recognizing faces I now know well.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah.. I don't know how to feel about assuming this would be the exact case when I heard Michael B. Jordan would be considering for a new Matrix film. I also don't know why I don't hate the idea of exploring Morpheus' awakening and rise to who he became.

Rogue One is a case of something falling right back into canon, whereas I'd assume this would basically provide a new one? Like the new Planet of the Apes movies or even Prometheus. [
    ]
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I just re-watched the trilogy with my wife since she hadn't seen any of them. I'm really really really surprised WB didn't try and turn this into a money making franchise. Hard to believe we only got three movies and zero spinoffs.

I lowered my grade to Reloaded and Revolutions after the rewatch. Matrix stayed the same.

Wasn’t there a plan for it to be ongoing but it was scrapped when Revolutions underperformed so badly?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Wasn’t there a plan for it to be ongoing but it was scrapped when Revolutions underperformed so badly?
    Via wiki: "While making the Matrix films, the Wachowskis told their close collaborators that at that time they had no intention of making another one after The Matrix Revolutions"

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hard to believe we only got three movies and zero spinoffs.
    Somewhere between sequels there was a comic, a videogame, and a collection of animated shortst ("Animatrix"). IIRC, they all sorta loosely tied into the movies and each other.

There was also an enormous drop-off in box office between the 2nd and 3rd film, which is probably why Warners didn't pursue it.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Somewhere between sequels there was a comic, a videogame, and a collection of animated shortst ("Animatrix"). IIRC, they all sorta loosely tied into the movies and each other.

There was also an enormous drop-off in box office between the 2nd and 3rd film, which is probably why Warners didn't pursue it.
    I played the video game and bought the Animatrix (which I think was only released in a DVD boxset years after release).

It's just the potential of the source material which makes the possibilities of other movies.You can literally tell any story in a computer program. You don't need to tell the story of "the one". Tell the story of the other ships , make another villain (an exile program) that needs the Matrix to survive... Make up a new prophesy. New characters. New everything.

- - - - -
    I played the video game and bought the Animatrix (which I think was only released in a DVD boxset years after release).

It's just the potential of the source material which makes the possibilities of other movies.You can literally tell any story in a computer program. You don't need to tell the story of "the one". Tell the story of the other ships , make another villain (an exile program) that needs the Matrix to survive... Make up a new prophesy. New characters. New everything.
    They sorta attempted that with "Animatrix"? Kinda, sorta? (Which was a single DVD released after the first movie ... I think? I only remember because I bought it and reviewed it for some proto-blog I had at the time. I think I might still have a copy of it, somewhere.)

The concept was cool but that world was shallow. I mean, they barely had enough story for one movie. The other two were more of the same. More techo-mysticism, more pseudo-philosophical claptrap, bigger set pieces, and enhanced CGI. The sequels didn't deepen anyone's knowledge of what the Matrix was or how it effected the character's lives beyond what had already been said in the original.)

Yeh the animatrix was done by all different directors and animators. The only two worth watching were the ones that directly tied into the sequels which was Flight of the Osiris (below) and the one that explained the background of the kid who was always annoying Neo.

- - - - -
    I'm always surprised --- and I shouldn't be --- when the cutting edge animation of yesteryear now looks like a videogame cutscene from last gen consoles.

ETA: Heh. Here's what I said about that short waaay back in July, 2003:

Quote Quoting Irish2003
    The spectacle of truly brilliant CGI doesn't hide the almost complete lack of story in "The Final Flight of the Osiris." And since Osiris is the setup for the "Enter the Matrix" videogame, it is ultimately clever cross-marketing, not entertainment or art.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.

What does it setup in Enter the Matrix? I thought the whole point of Osiris was to get the message of the machines digging to the rest of the captains, which ends up being the Matrix Reloaded opening scene.

- - - - -
    What does it setup in Enter the Matrix? I thought the whole point of Osiris was to get the message of the machines digging to the rest of the captains, which ends up being the Matrix Reloaded opening scene.
    Dude it was 16 years ago. How the hell should I know what I was talking about?

(TBH, I think I said that because the 2 characters from that short appear in the videogame? Very hazy memories tho')

Hahaha.

To your point. All of that marketing material was heavily pushed by WB. There are TONS of live action cut-scenes that were cut from the final films and inserted into Enter the Matrix. I was shocked, because Niobe is given very little to do in both movies other than piloting the ship at the end of Revolutions... but in the video game she has like full on action sequences. They even cut her Oracle scene from Revolutions and put in the game.

42 minutes of extra footage!

I thought The Animatrix was pretty neat. Had awesome music, too.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm always surprised --- and I shouldn't be --- when the cutting edge animation of yesteryear now looks like a videogame cutscene from last gen consoles.

ETA: Heh. Here's what I said about that short waaay back in July, 2003:
    What is truly surprising is when the CGI does age well, and you realize how important character design and good lighting work truly is.

None watches Jurassic Park and thinks the dinosaurs look ridiculous. Granted, they're still partly animatronic, but that was some awesome work for 1993.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    What is truly surprising is when the CGI does age well, and you realize how important character design and good lighting work truly is.

None watches Jurassic Park and thinks the dinosaurs look ridiculous. Granted, they're still partly animatronic, but that was some awesome work for 1993.
    Same kind of techniques were used in Terminator 2; which feels so authentic almost 30 years later because of their use of practical effects. While we are on the subject. Do you guys recall the scene in Pacific Rim where a Jaeger punches through a building and hits the desk with a Newton's cradle?

That scene looks so good because it was part practical and part CGI.

Same concept that ID4 used with blowing up the white house or the fire coming down the street.

10:10 to watch the part

I really dug the Animatrix. All the stories were good and added something to the world. Enter The Matrix bounced back and forth between being and awesome game and an infuriating one, forcing you to memorize levels, but the reward in between was the cut scenes. It played like the behind-the-scenes movie to Reloaded, and I ate that shit up. I know its not proper filmmaking, its marketing, but it made me like Reloaded more knowing what the other characters were doing behind the scenes to help Neo.

There was another follow up Matrix game, but I could never get a grasp on the overcomplicated control scheme.

Yeah, same thoughts as Skitch. I was a big supporter of the Matrix Reloaded because of the videogame and still give thumbs up because of the highway scene and the general chase between worlds for the Keymaster, or whatever he was called.

And I'm still a full-on hater of all things Matrix Revolutions. Similar reaction to that as Attack of the Clones where I was done with that world and caring about it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast