Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: the Matrix Resurrections

I'll speculate that:

-It's not Morpheus, but Morpheus' son.
    -The Oracle did say she would see Neo again. Perhaps in the "rebooted Matrix," another the Machines simply rebuild him, but couldn't rebuild his memory. He has to figure that out on his own.
    -Trinity is playing undercover or knowingly dumb to avoid the Machines and Agents.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best big franchise trailer in a long, long time though. I'm pumped.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm totally jazzed for this. The action looks great, and Wachowskis haven't disappointed me yet.

Guess I’ll dissent. I’m underwhelmed. The VFX look a little too digital and same-y as any other modern action movie (even relying on the same tired orange/blue color correction).

The Matrix (original) is a high bar.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Guess I’ll dissent. I’m underwhelmed. The VFX look a little too digital and same-y as any other modern action movie (even relying on the same tired orange/blue color correction).

The Matrix (original) is a high bar.
    Yeah, the effects here look somehow phonier than what they had 20+ years ago, and, while everyone else online seems to be losing their shit over this, I really see the big deal; I mean, while it doesn't seem as flawless now as it did when I was a pre-teen, I'm still a pretty big fan of the original film, but of course, that trilogy was apparently nothing but downhill after that, and this trailer just seems like a lot of the same old nostalgic callbacks that Hollywood uses as a substitute for new ideas. Plus, it's not like the Wachowskis ever truly recaptured that same magic later in their career, and I'm just tired of seeing old franchises be rebooted in general. Still though, I remember how the trailer for Reloaded made that one look fucking AMAZING, so hopefully it'll be the opposite situation this time around (as in weak trailer, but good final movie).

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    This looks pretty cool although granted I liked the sequels, even though neither of them came close to the original flick.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'll throw this in to the conversation, based on having played the Matrix Online for a short while (which the Wachowskis did say was canon at the time, although if I was to wager a bet Lana probably forgets The Matrix Online ever existed haha):

Immediately after the events of Revolutions, the Matrix is rebooted (as seen in the final scene of Revolutions) and the Machines uphold the peace treaty (as The Architect promises): those who want to stay in the rebooted matrix do, and those that want to leave are disconnected and sent to Zion. The Matrix Online is interesting in this context because the story is actually about resurrecting Neo and his RSI, so in a way the Wachowskis already kinda did some ground work (but again, I'll assume Lana ignores this and takes the ideas in a different direction). Morpheus leads an opposition movement in the newly rebooted matrix and creates new tensions between Zion and Machine City because the machines renege on one of their promises: they refuse to return Neo's body to Zion (iirc, they recycle Trinity's body). Morpheus demands the return of Neo and various factions start to come into conflict over this: some humans continue to distrust the machines and attempt to salvage Neo's RSI to resurrect him in the matrix, while rogue programs (including The Merovingian, as well a faction of rogue Agents) start waging their own wars. Eventually, Morpheus is assassinated by one of these rogue factions (presumably, The Merovingian) and the peace treaty between Zion and Machine City begins to crumble. That's where I stopped playing but from what I understand the peace eventually ends and war resumes, and the humans try to reassemble Morpheus's RSI to bring him back as well, while The Merovingian apparently becomes the "big bad" of the whole thing, figuring out how the matrix itself works and waging war both within and without (as I recall, you played as a "red pill" in the game with your own custom RSI and could actually choose to align yourself with one of three factions: Zion, Machine City, or The Merovingian). The game wasn't terribly popular in the end and it got shut down long before these story arcs resolved.

Anyways, it was a neat game partly because it played a lot with the concept of RSIs (residual self images) which the movies never really got into much (particularly with WB shooting down ideas like Switch using their RSI to swap genders). Based on the trailer for Resurrections, I'd wager that RSIs will actually be prominent in the new movie as well (we see that with Neo in the mirror, etc.) and again I'm doubting Matrix Online is canon but it still points to ideas that Lana will probably still use, namely: Machine City kept Neo's body and plugged him back into the matrix (he's being fed blue pills by NPH to manipulate his RSI, for example) while Trinity may or may not be alive (based on Matrix Online, she would have to be a resurrected RSI iirc but Machine City could still have her body) and Morpheus almost certainly is "dead" (the recast could suggest he's a reassembled RSI like in Matrix Online or simply another program). That's as far as I'll speculate, though I find it curious (again) that The Merovingian is also back in the new movie and I'd wager his role will remain consistent with what we've seen even in the game (he's still the leader of a massive crime syndicate, still a rogue program that wants to kill the Oracle, and I'd bet like in the game he now exerts influence outside of the matrix itself).

It's fun to reflect on this now; I have to admit, the nostalgia hit me in waves while watching the trailer. I don't get hyped for blockbusters anymore but I was obsessed with The Matrix back in the day.
    Last edited by Stay Puft; 09-18-2021 at 12:24 AM.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

As I recall, Matrix Online is canon, and was fully approved by the Wachowskis. What you've told me about it plays to that trailer quite well.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I'll throw this in to the conversation, based on having played the Matrix Online for a short while (which the Wachowskis did say was canon at the time, although if I was to wager a bet Lana probably forgets The Matrix Online ever existed haha):

Immediately after the events of Revolutions, the Matrix is rebooted (as seen in the final scene of Revolutions) and the Machines uphold the peace treaty (as The Architect promises): those who want to stay in the rebooted matrix do, and those that want to leave are disconnected and sent to Zion. The Matrix Online is interesting in this context because the story is actually about resurrecting Neo and his RSI, so in a way the Wachowskis already kinda did some ground work (but again, I'll assume Lana ignores this and takes the ideas in a different direction). Morpheus leads an opposition movement in the newly rebooted matrix and creates new tensions between Zion and Machine City because the machines renege on one of their promises: they refuse to return Neo's body to Zion (iirc, they recycle Trinity's body). Morpheus demands the return of Neo and various factions start to come into conflict over this: some humans continue to distrust the machines and attempt to salvage Neo's RSI to resurrect him in the matrix, while rogue programs (including The Merovingian, as well a faction of rogue Agents) start waging their own wars. Eventually, Morpheus is assassinated by one of these rogue factions (presumably, The Merovingian) and the peace treaty between Zion and Machine City begins to crumble. That's where I stopped playing but from what I understand the peace eventually ends and war resumes, and the humans try to reassemble Morpheus's RSI to bring him back as well, while The Merovingian apparently becomes the "big bad" of the whole thing, figuring out how the matrix itself works and waging war both within and without (as I recall, you played as a "red pill" in the game with your own custom RSI and could actually choose to align yourself with one of three factions: Zion, Machine City, or The Merovingian). The game wasn't terribly popular in the end and it got shut down long before these story arcs resolved.

Anyways, it was a neat game partly because it played a lot with the concept of RSIs (residual self images) which the movies never really got into much (particularly with WB shooting down ideas like Switch using their RSI to swap genders). Based on the trailer for Resurrections, I'd wager that RSIs will actually be prominent in the new movie as well (we see that with Neo in the mirror, etc.) and again I'm doubting Matrix Online is canon but it still points to ideas that Lana will probably still use, namely: Machine City kept Neo's body and plugged him back into the matrix (he's being fed blue pills by NPH to manipulate his RSI, for example) while Trinity may or may not be alive (based on Matrix Online, she would have to be a resurrected RSI iirc but Machine City could still have her body) and Morpheus almost certainly is "dead" (the recast could suggest he's a reassembled RSI like in Matrix Online or simply another program). That's as far as I'll speculate, though I find it curious (again) that The Merovingian is also back in the new movie and I'd wager his role will remain consistent with what we've seen even in the game (he's still the leader of a massive crime syndicate, still a rogue program that wants to kill the Oracle, and I'd bet like in the game he now exerts influence outside of the matrix itself).

It's fun to reflect on this now; I have to admit, the nostalgia hit me in waves while watching the trailer. I don't get hyped for blockbusters anymore but I was obsessed with The Matrix back in the day.
    From what the trailer looks like, and what you just described, they may just be adapting the game as a film.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Damn. I never heard of that game.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Reeves and Moss were in my city for a day recently, for some performance capture and scanning at 3Lateral, the Epic company that created the Metahuman creator for Unreal. My friend who works there said they both had Matrix real world buzz cuts and what they did wasn't for the movie at all.... So, a game? Tie in or separate? We'll see.
    Yeah, this was definitely for "The Matrix Awakens": https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/wakeup

I keep trying to work up the enthusiasm to rewatch Reloaded and Revolutions ahead of this..and I just can't. I've only seen them once, when they first opened, and I remember almost none of the details, but I remember my mood of deflated exhaustion after seeing them - they were exhausting, for some reason. It's like I've developed a psychological aversion to ever watching them again based on that fuzzy, lingering reaction. It's weird.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I haven't seen the original since it was in theaters, although I liked it enough at the time to see it twice. You can't turn back time.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Don't hurt yourselves not watching it you two.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Don't hurt yourselves not watching it you two.
    What are you talking about? I'm going to see Resurrections. I'm just not doing my homework.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    What are you talking about? I'm going to see Resurrections. I'm just not doing my homework.
    I didn't know homework was required.

I have strong memories of the second film and can not think of a scene from the third one, even though I haven't seen either of them since 2003.

I've got about an hour left but I'm loving it, I'm loving it, I don't give a shit, everyone kiss my asshole, I love this maniacal lunacy I cannot believe they let this script pass

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I haven't seen the original since it was in theaters, although I liked it enough at the time to see it twice. You can't turn back time.
    You sure can't, but, while I don't like the original 100% as much as did when I was a pre-teen, a long awaited rewatch of it a couple of years ago still reaffirmed its fundamental greatness to me, super-dated aesthetic and all (although I think all the leather coats and brick phones are a part of why it's so iconic, since it really leaned into capturing that turn of the millennium zeitgeist, you know?).

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    You sure can't, but, while I don't like the original 100% as much as did when I was a pre-teen, a long awaited rewatch of it a couple of years ago still reaffirmed its fundamental greatness to me, super-dated aesthetic and all (although I think all the leather coats and brick phones are a part of why it's so iconic, since it really leaned into capturing that turn of the millennium zeitgeist, you know?).
    I'm not saying I wouldn't ever watch it again (the 2003 sequels are another matter--although I liked them well enough at the time, life is just too short), and I found the Wachowskis' Bound held up pretty well when I saw it a second time in 2019. But what made the film so exciting at the time was the sense that it was something new and different. In 2021, the film is not only no longer new, but on account of its widespread influence, it also no longer feels like a singular film to the extent that other, weirder 1999 films--Being John Malkovich, Eyes Wide Shut, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, Gohatto, Kikujiro, and Magnolia being the first half-dozen titles that come to mind--still do, which makes it hard for me to work up much enthusiasm to see it again, much less yet another sequel.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

A rewatch of the original last year cemented it as an action masterpiece that sits shoulder to shoulder with others like Fury Road and Hard Boiled.

The Wachowskis' eyes for framing, shot length, and visual story telling are fantastic. It is a gorgeous movie. One you want to watch with a keyboard handy to hit screenshot over and over and over.

The fights are still incredible, the weight of the drama and events holds up 100%.

It's a brilliant movie.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I can easily say I've watched the first one dozens of times.

When it's clear that the helicopter is going down....and Neo pauses.......then wraps that strap around his arm....it has had the same effect on me every single time. I want to shit in terror and throw up and I'm like Holy fucking baller this fuckin movie....that one single moment about makes my eyeballs explode, it's....so.....good.

Yeah, there are so many moments like that for me as well. When the timing is just right, and it's not a pivotal scene either but just works on a subconscious level.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567