Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red State (Kevin Smith)

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    I had a dream where I watched this movie in full, hated it, and then came on here and whined about it.

I'm still excited though.

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    I had a dream where I watched this movie in full, hated it, and then came on here and whined about it.

I'm still excited though.
    Not a dream. You saw the future!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best Boy
    If this movie fails someone should put Kevin on suicide watch.

He seems very bitter nowadays. Jokingly self-deprecating on his podcasts, but online he often lashes out at critics, bloggers and people who dislike his films.

I watched his latest Q&A movie and apparently he's sick of not really trying to be a real director and this is the result.

It's also the first movie he's written and directed since becoming a hard-core stoner so I'm kind of interested to see how it turns out.

Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    It's also the first movie he's written and directed since becoming a hard-core stoner so I'm kind of interested to see how it turns out.
    Well that's not believable at all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Well that's not believable at all.
    No shit. Even as he was telling the story I had trouble believing it. But when you see how much weight he's gained it pretty much speaks for itself.

He was being sarcastic.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    He was being sarcastic.
    What, that Kevin Smith only recently became a stoner? Could have fooled me.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Looks like Crash, but with better cinematography.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

It's not like Smith is saying he wasn't a stoner before. He was. It's just that he got so depressed over Zack and Miri that he literally did nothing but smoke pot all day and binge eat.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

No, he said he wasn't a stoner until recently. He said he'd done it a few times before, but didn't care much for it.

Did you see his new "Evening With" movie? He had a stash a friend gave him locked up in a safe in case someone who did smoke ever came over, just so he could seem cool and go "Yeah, I have weed." But he cracked it out one day for kicks and he's been doing it ever since.

Stoners don't keep their weed locked up in a safe.

What the hell is up with informing the free world on his smoking habits, for fucking crying out loud?

I'm pretty sure Fellini and Jodorowsky didn't tweet about their experiences with LSD. And Scorsese doesn't need to tell us about his most depressing cocaine dawn.

If he wants to rank with the top directors, he might wanna try being a fucking gentleman first.

Best Boy
    Kevin's response to someone tweeting "Criticism gives your perspective":

Nah - criticism gives me the heebie-jeebies. It's like taking marital advice from the clergy: if you've sworn your life to celibacy, how am I supposed to take anything you say about cohabitation seriously? You'd be clueless. So when other storytellers have something critical to say about my craft? Hey, I'm all ears; I might just learn something. Only someone critical will tell you how important taking criticism is. After a lifetime of experience, I'm here to tell you criticism is not only not important, it's counter-productive. Constructive criticism is a phrase coined by cretins looking for license to insult you to your face without getting punched.
    Hmm.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    What the hell is up with informing the free world on his smoking habits, for fucking crying out loud?

I'm pretty sure Fellini and Jodorowsky didn't tweet about their experiences with LSD. And Scorsese doesn't need to tell us about his most depressing cocaine dawn.

If he wants to rank with the top directors, he might wanna try being a fucking gentleman first.
    Yeah but before that he needs to have more ass sex with his wife.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I don't see what being a gentleman, and being a "top director", have to do with each other.

Nor do I see what being a gentleman has to do with whether or not you're open about smoking weed.

Newsflash: it's 2010, and smoking weed isn't really a big deal anymore.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Kevin Smith takes criticism to heart is what seems to be going on here. Possibly because the criticisms are right on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This looks like a Rob Zombie movie. But frankly I'd rather watch a Rob Zombie movie instead.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Kevin Smith takes criticism to heart is what seems to be going on here. Possibly because the criticisms are right on.
    He's always been bad at handling criticism, and now that his more populist efforts like the Apatowish Zack and Miri and buddy-cop Copout have tanked, I can understand him retreating from criticism completely. Shame, given that I like most of his movies.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Well that was unexpected.

And even if the style isn't remotely new, at least there appears to actually be a style with this one.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Best Boy
    Kevin just had another meltdown on Twitter ranting about how movie bloggers are the scum of the universe. Again.

I can't decide whether to unfollow him or not. His rants are headache-inducing, but him eventually having to announce that Red State didn't find a distributor at Sundance and will be straight-to-DVD will be priceless.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Because I hate reading backwards.

Quote Quoting Kevin Smith
    A few movie websites this morning have chided me for talking about not doing press on RedState. Number one, that's ironic right there: even I say I'm not doing RedState press... and press writes about it. But I never said I'm not talking: said I always talk plenty right here.

So if you can always ask me anything you want right here (and often get a LONG-ASS response), what's the damage? Besides, the only story in RedState that really needs telling is the MichaelParks story - and, as per usual, NOBODY is writing it. "Gotta wait & see on the Parks of it all. Don't wanna be out front, first with THAT story. Now - the boring story of how KevinSmith Tweeted he's not doing press? THAT'S news!"

And one month from now, when EVERYONE ELSE is writing the MichaelParks story, these websites who wasted their time/space on a fruitless war of words with me are gonna wonder why other websites get more hits/have more followers/earn more than their site does. I'M TELLING YOU THIS FAR OUT: why the FUCK aren't you writing the MichaelParks story? First one out there gets the top Google hits. But these swine have zero vision; it's all "Kevin Smith is gonna hurt his career not talking to press." Seriously: someone actually wrote that story today (naturally,it was a movie news site). This site that's accomplished merely a fraction of what other movie sites in the online fraternity/sorority have,suggested that - since I'm not gonna play the game the normal, boring way, I'm gonna hurt my career. Once again, these motherfuckers are a day late & a dollar short? Hurt Kevin Smith's career? Have you SEEN this: http://smodcast.com/ ? I ain't hurting the career of Kevin Smith,I'm taking a fucking chainsaw to the career of Kevin Smith. That's what you gotta do as an artist: when everyone's comfy, pull the fucking chair out from under their settled asses while showing 'em something they're not used to seeing from anybody, least of all YOU. And if you lose some people in the process, so be it: art should be a little dangerous, scary & thrilling - ESPECIALLY for the artist. You think there isn't some tiny part of me that stops & says "You can make this SO much easier on yourself & the journey of this film if you just do what you've ALWAYS done and go hat-in-hand to the snark-factory..."? But nothing about RedState has been done conventionally; why should I start NOW? Best piece of advice I can give a bunch of people who only wanna shit on what I do? Go find MichaelParks and BECOME the interview of record. Stop writing about how you're mad at me, or how I'm not doing it your way, or how I'm gonna hurt myself. Write about something original: the guy who the entire WORLD is about to wanna talk to. The money's out there; pick it up it's yours; you don't, I got no sympathy for you. "Hurt Kevin Smith's Career"? Bitch, I've ANNIHILATED Kevin Smith's Career. And now? I get to remake it, all over again. And I've got a dopey movie blogger to thank for it: one day, one of these hymens wrote "Kevin Smith owes his career to people like me" - said people being bloggers, critics, movie journalists. I gave this some serious thought & realized I'd never know whether that theory was true or not.

But while I couldn't validate the veracity of the statement, I realized it didn't matter: if people like this were to thank for my career, then I didn't want that career anymore. So I made SModcast. And now RedState. And then combined the two. And realized I could do it without the help of the same people who don't seem to have anything nice to say about not only my flicks, but ANYBODY'S flicks they see. Their game is rigged; why play it? I go to the carnival, I wanna ride the roller-coaster, not waste money on the rigged games of chance, the rewards of which are cheap, empty prizes that don't seem nearly as cool in the light of day, away from the cotton candy haze. If they weren't convinced that I made my own way the first time, I'm happy (and more importantly, EXCITED) to do it again, one more time - just to prove that point.

And if you're gonna make art, you SHOULD reinvent periodically anyway. Lots of jackasses writing about my craft & how I conduct it weren't even BORN when I built my shit from scratch. They can't possibly be expected to be impressed by shit they couldn't witness for themselves because they were just cum when it happened the first time. So rather than continue being the same ol' KevinSmith that all these movie sites kept insisting I was, I practiced my game, skated night & day, and learned to stay out of the scrum & figure out where the puck was going.

I stopped being the KevinSmith they loved to bitch about; the KevinSmith they chided to change. So I changed. And guess what? Now they're bitching about that? And trying to scare me with some booga-booga bullshit about hurting my career. Like I said: the game's rigged. So why play it on THEIR terms? KobayashiMaru that shit: at the very worst, you get bitched-out by cowards. At best? You BECOME James Tiberius Kirk.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Gosh he's a jackass.

I don't like how he uses "hymen" as a pejorative.

"Jackass" is probably the best word for him.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Since apparently it hasn't been reported by the hymen, what the heck is so interesting about Michael Parks?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    My guess is that Kevin Smith thinks he did a good job in his movie. So everyone better rush to that breaking bit of news.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast