Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December/January Book Club: Lost City of Z

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Day Lewis IMO.
    Ooooooh. Want.

EDIT: But he's so freaking method he'd probably get himself killed out there.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Reading this book is making me want to write an explorer novel.

Also, to reread H. Ridger Haggard's novel She which was better than the Quatermain novels, in my opinion.
    ...and the milk's in me.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Also, to reread H. Ridger Haggard's novel She which was better than the Quatermain novels, in my opinion.
    I have never read any Quartermain, but indeed Z very much wants me to pick up and re-read She.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Without the first person narrative you wouldn't feel the impact and beauty of the final chapter. I agree that until then it felt out of place but the ending validated the choice. My issue with the book was more with Grann's writing, which I found to be rather insipid. It's competent and it flowed nicely but it was pretty unimaginative and perhaps too restrained. I thought he did a very adequate job of conveying the difficulties of jungle exploration, however. I also feel like a learned a lot about someone I had never heard of before - the type of personality that I enjoy learning about. And I appreciate any research that illuminates a different view of history than the dominant paradigm, in this case how advanced Amazonian civilizations truly were. A lot has changed in less than 100 years since Fawcett's death, both in the world at large and in exploration technology, and this reinforces that we have really only barely scratched the surface. Overall a pretty good read.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

It's pissing me off how long it's taking for this book to get here.

I want to start reading already.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    It's pissing me off how long it's taking for this book to get here.

I want to start reading already.
    Well, UPS says it delivered my copy on Saturday (which makes no sense since I'm pretty sure the website I ordered it from didn't pay extra for Saturday delivery) only nothing showed up. I'm going to wait until this evening, when I know they're done with deliveries, before I call them.

I read the preface and the first chapter today at B&N while waiting for my car, which was getting new tires across the street. Very compelling start. I'm anxious to get started, especially since school starts tomorrow and my time will be much more limited.

I had a very expensive package stolen here a couple of weeks ago, so I'm getting a little worried that it might have happened again.

I've had to file a claim with Amazon because this book never arrived.

Sorry I couldn't participate in this round, guys.

I finished it.

Are we posting our thoughts as we have them, or are we waiting and having a group discussion at some point?
    ...and the milk's in me.

This book finally showed up today. Seems it was delivered to the wrong house, and that house returned it to the post office. Not sure why it took them an additional week to deliver it to the right house, but whatever. Anyway, I'm way too swamped with school to even attempt this now, so I won't be able to get to it until late spring/early summer, in all likelihood. I'll post my thoughts in here when I do, not that anyone will much care at that point.

Sorry, I'm a bit pissed off at my local post office.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Sorry, I'm a bit pissed off at my local post office.
    Frustrating. But still better than not getting it at all. I think you'll like it-- it's pretty interesting and does a good job at capturing WHY these people felt the need to risk death over and over again to search the unknown.

Are you, by any chance, afraid of parasites? Because they freak me out, and there was one... particular... chapter...
    ...and the milk's in me.

KF, it wasn't delivered to like, your next door neighbour or something was it?

If that was the case, I'd also be kind of pissed at my neighbour for not having brought it to me in the first place. I mean, even if you don't know my name, you should know that the address on the package is right next door.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Are you, by any chance, afraid of parasites? Because they freak me out, and there was one... particular... chapter...
    Hm. I'm not sure. I don't believe I am, but I guess I'll find out.

I wish I could read this right now. Having just finished Heart of Darkness for a Lit class, I'm sure it would make for an interesting follow-up.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    KF, it wasn't delivered to like, your next door neighbour or something was it?

If that was the case, I'd also be kind of pissed at my neighbour for not having brought it to me in the first place. I mean, even if you don't know my name, you should know that the address on the package is right next door.
    Five doors down. In fact, I received a large rubber-banded pile of their mail that was coming off a hold (I'm assuming they were on vacation) on what I'm assuming was the same day, yet I walked theirs down and put it in their mailbox. Never thought, obviously, to go searching through their mail to see if they received mine by mistake. To be fair to them, we don't know each other, and in fact have never even seen each other that I'm aware of, but it still would have been a nice gesture to just walk it down to us and inform us that it was delivered to them by mistake. Oh well.

I wish I could read this right now. Having just finished Heart of Darkness for a Lit class, I'm sure it would make for an interesting follow-up.
    Oh, yeah, those would go together really well.

I'm rereading She for fun, because that's what it kept reminding me of.
    ...and the milk's in me.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Anyway, I'm way too swamped with school to even attempt this now, so I won't be able to get to it until late spring/early summer, in all likelihood. I'll post my thoughts in here when I do, not that anyone will much care at that point.
    I will. It's an interesting book to discuss with friends.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12