Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Greatest: Of All Time, Of Everything!

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Barty (view post)
    It knows you when you search.
    If that was true, I can assure you mine wouldn't say "Math" and "Science" fun facts. :|

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    If that was true, I can assure you mine wouldn't say "Math" and "Science" fun facts. :|
    It knows you stream Eureka.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    It knows you stream Eureka.
    Damn that charming Colin Ferguson!

Math and Science were down a ways.

Seattle and Washington up top.

I'm googling from work... In a way, it may be a huge coincidence, now I must try this at home.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm pretty sure those links only pop up if you're in Denmark.
    Oh right, I feel a bit silly now. :lol:

At home... Math and science at similar places. Colorado on top.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

4. LewRockwell.com

Yes, you knew it had to be coming! Do you really think in my spare time I don't read Libertarian websites constantly? Well, in terms of articles and blog, this is the best. LewRockwell.com is the one-stop shop for all Libertarian topics you could want, and is the best read Libertarian site on the web.

New articles are posted every day ranging from contributers like Ron Paul, to classic articles by Murray Rothbard. The LRC blog rips along daily with varied topics fished out from amongst the nation, governments, and homes of the world.

The slogan gives you a taste of what you will find when you read. Articles and postings permeate with hatred of the government, warfare is condemned in some of the strongest terms imaginable (If Bush or Obama is mentioned, you can expect war criminal to follow), and the peaceful cooperation of the market and Austrian Economics is promoted without apology. In short, a deliciously unabashed pure Libertarian-Anarchist site, filled with all the goods a Libertarian could want to get in a day.

Fun Fact - This is the first site in the morning Ron Paul reads. Also, everyone here would hate this site.

Just visited that site. I guess the market doesn't demand website design.

3. Mises.org

Without a doubt, for the economics junkie like me, the greatest website for free-market economic content, literature, media, and commentary around. The Mises Institute itself is located in Auburn, but, does everything is can to be pioneers in this information age and thus manages a kick-ass website that is simply one of the best around and is probably the main area of focus now

It has the usual amenities; a blog, a forum, personal pages, but what really sets itself apart is the amazing content. You will find new daily articles from the best Austrian economists around offering insight and commentary on the latest news, they have recently opened a new online academy course where you can sign up and take actual online classes with economic professors and history professors in the tradition of Libertarian and free-market thought.

And of course, all the freebies. Articles, journals, newspaper archives, speeches, conferences, books. All for free. If they own of the copyright, or the copyright is expired, they post everything online for free to be downloaded in every format.

Normally if one wants to purchase an economics text or book, especially the treatise variety, you will have to cough up a decent chunk of change. Not here. Ludwig von Mises' work is all on here...for free. Henry Hazlitt articles from his time with the New York Times...all here for free. Classic works from Menger, Bastiat, Jevons, all on here for free.

The sheer wealth of information is amazing, and it's instantly and easily accessed. For spreading the crazy free-market ideas to the world, this is the best website and a great resource tool.

Fun Fact - The Mises Institute does not believe in Intellectual Property, and thus distributes everything for free. The entire website and content is open source, and can be freely changed and run on different servers and websites if desired.

2. Facebook.com

Though some of us may want to deny (I personally don't), Facebook has become perhaps the number one addiction in people's lives. Whatever the social reasons for this, this is the website that has tapped into the very fabric of what people want in the internet.

Creatively simple and streamlined, but with potentially limitless options, the hardcore user may love it's photo capacity, or it's games, but many simply love the ability to communicate in simple ways, with all their friends, in any given moment of the day.

I know when I wake up in the morning, this is one of the first things I check, and I check it religiously throughout the day. Ultimately, it's simply fun, even informative, a virtual social hangout that allows one to engage and remove themselves from conversation and activity at a whim. Who knows really, what appeals so much? I can't deny my addiction.

Fun Fact - They made a movie about Facebook, did you know?

1. Amazon.com

What is the greatest sight one can behold when they arrive home from a long day at work? The answer of course, is a big brown box, sitting on your doorstep from Amazon.com. You go inside, you open it up, and open delicious consumer goodness, brought to you at a dirt cheap price and with free shipping.

I indicated in my Mint.com entry that the place I've spent the most money at has been Amazon.com, and there is naturally a reason. Amazon has, in theory, a limitless supply of goods and markets. Not only through itself as it's own retailer, but also has people who join on to sell goods as well.

Best about this is you can price match everywhere, new and used goods. Naturally because of it's model of having giant wherehouses this reduces costs and allows Amazon to sell below (sometimes way) other physical retailers. But also, this has introduced competition into the physical marketplace and created a competitive market that will only get better as technology and internet integration gets bigger and bigger.

Where else can you get daily deals that can 50-80% below normal price? Free shipping on nearly everything you could order? MP3, Video on Demand, Books on Demand with 1 click?

Amazon has revolutionized online purchasing, it is my daily stop to check for deals and reviews. Not only do I love the experience of shopping, I just love browsing the site for deals and to see what they have.

My TV, my DVD collection, my new pots and pans, my book collection, my Air Filtration System, HDMI cables, they all speak about the awesomeness off Amazon.

And my bank account certainly thinks so as well.

Fun Fact - Amazon hosted Wikileaks on their servers before the fascist government threatened them. Amazon is a friend of liberty.

The 10 Greatest Performances of the Last Decade.....Of All Time!

Let's cut to the chase and recognize which acting performances in the last decade cut off our balls and fed them to us with their greatness. These performances enrapture us with their intensity, skill, and wit and leave an unforgettable mark on our minds.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Of all those sites listed I only use match-cut, google and amazon on a regular basis. I go on facebook maybe once every couple weeks and I rarely use wikipedia or youtube.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

And because of Amazon, I have a job!

10. David Strathairn - Edward R. Murrow - Good Night, and Good Luck

This subtle recreation by Strathairn was one of my favorite performance of 2006. His mannerisms, the piercing gaze, a performance of absolute confidence suggesting the embodiment of a character we as the audience believe can get at the truth and perhaps save journalism as we know it.

I love the film for many reasons, primarily being it's almost documentary like presentation of events and persons in an absolutely stylistically superior way. But the heart and soul of the film is this performance, which pulled me in and made me say "wow" with no explosions or ham.

9. David Carradine - Bill - Kill Bill: Vol. 2

One of the great things about a Tarantino movie is each one has a stand out performance a cut above the rest, and as much as you may know before hand this is going to happen, it's always a pleasant surprise to watch it unfold. Barely featured in Vol. 1, Carradine gets to put out his chops with the cool, subtle, graceful and intense character of Bill.

Carradine chews out dialogue like only a former Kung-Fu master could, bringing the hyper realist touch to a larger the life character. The last 20 minutes of the film features some of the finest character interaction, dialogue, and acting around. Transforming our perception of Bill from cold blooded cool killer to loving Father. It's a testament to the warm performance from Carradine that he manages to bring out the emotion and sympathy to his character, so that by the time the inevitable ending must come, we would rather the title of the picture not be fulfilled. Powerful and involving work.

I'd go for Michael Madsen from Kill Bill.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I'd go for Michael Madsen from Kill Bill.
    It is a great performance, no doubt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12