Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

While I'm sure that I COULD ditch the cable bill if I really wanted to, I do wonder...

I do more than watch sports. I watch Food Network a lot, and there are a lot of stuff I watch that I simply can't get on my television in my living room without a cable subscription.

How are you guys watching all this extra stuff? Via PC?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I have a PS3, but it is in the bedroom on the slightly smaller HDTV. My living room telly needs to be stream-capable too, so the Roku is looking like a good purchase.
    Same here. The really funny part is, technically my Alarm clock has built in Netflix.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    While I'm sure that I COULD ditch the cable bill if I really wanted to, I do wonder...

I do more than watch sports. I watch Food Network a lot, and there are a lot of stuff I watch that I simply can't get on my television in my living room without a cable subscription.

How are you guys watching all this extra stuff? Via PC?
    Food Network is on Hulu, which you can stream through the Roku. That's what we mean. With the amount of programming available through Hulu and Hulu Plus and with Netflix/Amazon streaming... cable has become pretty useless except for sports.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Also, you guys know that the roku supports MLB TV and I believe NBA apps. So I think it's $50/year for all MLB games.

edit: sorry, $24.99

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think a lot of what cable does to entice certain people is the channel surfing while being bored, which Roku can't really do. Pretty sure that's why my roommate insists on keeping it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Didn't realize Hulu Plus was on the PS3 now. I'll probably just do that.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I think a lot of what cable does to entice certain people is the channel surfing while being bored, which Roku can't really do. Pretty sure that's why my roommate insists on keeping it.
    Perhaps, but I think I would be plenty happy to scroll through all the content on Hulu Plus and find something when I'm bored... and with the extra bonus that I can always start from the beginning.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

I mean, I do recognize there is a certain value to having the ability to mindlessly channel surf, especially if you have guests, but I'm questioning if it's worth that much to me anymore. I find I'm channel surfing a lot less these days and spending more time just surfing through my Netflix queue and Recently Added movies.

Fezzik: I think most of us have some device to stream Netflix content to our TVs (Blu Ray, PS3, Roku, etc.). You can also get Hulu Plus and other subscription services directly to your TV, but I'm waiting on those until I bite the bullet and cut off cable.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I find that I waste a lot less time in front of the TV without having any channels to surf between.

Hm, wait. I thought Hulu Plus had HBO shows. It doesn't. That would be a problem.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Our homeowners association pays for a big chunk of our cable bill. Hence, I have still have it.
    meh.

I have basic basic cable, only because it would be more expensive to have just the internet. We still get all the local channels, in hi-def, and about the only thing I really miss is the Food Network, and ESPN.

Gonna check HuluPlus for the Food Network.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Not seeing any Food Network on HuluPlus.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    So, regular Hulu can't be accessed with the Roku or PS3, just HuluPlus? Is that correct?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    So, regular Hulu can't be accessed with the Roku or PS3, just HuluPlus? Is that correct?
    I can not access Hulu via PS3. Only Plus.

Lame.

LAME.

LAME!

Well, looking for Hulu did lead me to Vudu, and a free HD movie rental. So I guess there's that. Doubt I'll ever use Vudu again, but a free movie is a free movie.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I can not access Hulu via PS3. Only Plus.

Lame.

LAME.

LAME!
    It is lame but at least their is a reason. Some studios don't mind you being able to watch their shows on your computer but are extremely hesitant about you being able to watch them on a device through your tv. Apparently Hulu is trying to get rights to all that stuff for Plus but it's not their fault it's not available.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    It is lame but at least their is a reason. Some studios don't mind you being able to watch their shows on your computer but are extremely hesitant about you being able to watch them on a device through your tv. Apparently Hulu is trying to get rights to all that stuff for Plus but it's not their fault it's not available.
    Actually, with two cables, we can watch normal Hulu on the big screen.

[
    ]

Just get PlayOn, if you're a PC user.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Not seeing any Food Network on HuluPlus.
    I was just about to post the same. No Food Network, no HBO, I didn't see Discovery Channel either (unless I wasn't looking in the right place), so yeah, for now, between Sports, HBO (which I'm getting for the first time) and other channels not available for streaming on my TV, I'll be sticking with cable at least for the time being.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Well, looking for Hulu did lead me to Vudu, and a free HD movie rental. So I guess there's that. Doubt I'll ever use Vudu again, but a free movie is a free movie.
    I might use it again. I was impressed with the quality of the stream when I watched The Town.

The thing I like about is that there are a lot of newer films that aren't available on Netflix streaming yet. If there's something I want to see bad enough, I might rent it.

This is another reason, why canceling your cable is a bad idea.

Ok, got my Roku all set up. Anyone want to suggest some good channels that don't come preloaded? I have Netflix, Amazon, and HuluPlus all set up, plus added the Public Domain channel and Pandora. Any other cool channels I'm missing?

You're using the ones that I use. MLB TV if you have a subscription.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You're using the ones that I use. MLB TV if you have a subscription.
    Yeah, I'll have one next season. I feel sorry for anyone who purchases their Extra Innings at near $200. I wonder how much the NHL one would be, though I don't really care to watch anyone other than the Wings, and all their games are televised in HD anyway.

Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast