Page 23 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    5 episodes of mediocrity is my limit. Especially in serials, I feel like I have to give it at least that much to start ramping up. Deadwood, Dollhouse, Rome... These are brilliant shows that I wouldn't have thought so if I didn't give the first few episodes a slide.
    how did you ever get into doctor who?

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Huh. I'm just the opposite. Loved the first season, and have liked each subsequent season less. I've only made it through S3, but I don't think I'll watch any more.
    Season 4 is by far the best the show has to offer. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Watching a doc on two obsessed fans of 80's pop star Tiffany called I Think We're Alone Now. One is intersexual and the other has asburgers. This is insane.

Dude I watched that on a whim couple of weeks ago. That doc is FUCKED UP.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Dude I watched that on a whim couple of weeks ago. That doc is FUCKED UP.
    I concur. Scary to think people like that are out there in the world...

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    I've actually seen that documentary twice. The first viewing was when I couldn't sleep, at 2am, on a weekday. Oddly appropriate. It's also a popular talking point among my group of friends. Yeah.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

What is an intersexual?

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    What is an intersexual?
    She is biologically both male and female. Her chromosomes are neither XX nor XY.

(This is including but not exclusive to a hermaphrodite, which is defined more strictly to people who have both reproductive organs)
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

She is biologically both male and female. Her chromosomes are neither XX nor XY.

(This is including but not exclusive to a hermaphrodite, which is defined more strictly to people who have both reproductive organs)
    So people with Klinefelter's Syndrome (XXY) would be included as intersexual, but not Turner Syndrome (X), XXX's or XYY's? I've never heard the term used before.

Also, what about the psuedohermaphrodites? The definition you give for a hermaphrodite applies for true hermaphroditism (which is rarer than pseudo).

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    So people with Klinefelter's Syndrome (XXY) would be included as intersexual, but not Turner Syndrome (X), XXX's or XYY's? I've never heard the term used before.

Also, what about the psuedohermaphrodites? The definition you give for a hermaphrodite applies for true hermaphroditism (which is rarer than pseudo).
    Hm, I believe so. Being biologically intersex requires you to have both male and female physicalities, so being XXY does count since it display characteristics of both sex chromosomes. The others don't. As far as I know, having XXX chromosomes don't really affect you physically all that much, anyway.

I could be wrong, but I think "pseudo-hermaphrodite" is a somewhat outdated term that's been replaced by the more inclusive and modern term "intersex," which can include various degrees of hermaphroditism. It's actually kind of surprising to me that you'd know the former but not the latter. If you've ever seen the updated acronym LGBTIQ, that's what the I stands for.

EDIT: I neglect to mention that while intersex usually refers to biology, from a social standpoint it's inclusive of folks who don't socially identify as male or female (ie Third Gender). This, admittedly, tend to be relative to their surrounding social norms, so it's a little more loosely defined.
    Movie Theater Diary

I see, I see. Interesting.

Yeah, XXX and even XYY's aren't that clinically different (if at all) from XX's and XY's. They taught us male/female pseudo-hermaphroditism in med school. You're undoubtedly right on with your outdated term theory. It's interesting to get the social backdrop on the subject, thanks for the responses.

I had a friend once with Turner's syndrome. She had problems.
    ...and the milk's in me.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    The Mill & the Cross is up, which most people agree is deeply flawed, but also a remarkably singular experience.

And there's Blubberella. Don't let curiosity get the best of you with that one. Or do, so I'm not the only asshat who's seen it.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Wow.

Netflix rep: "Okay Dan, I just went and talked to my main supervisor as to why the movie had been pulled and the reason it was pulled was the production company pulled the streaming rights from us because all the publicity after Whitney Houston's passing there was an opportunity to make really a very large amount of money on the DVD sales of her movies. So they're going to pull all the streaming titles we have of Whitney Houston so they can make more money off the DVD sales of her movies."
    https://plus.google.com/102898672602...ts/CLQyX6ZxnxT
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I wish I could say I'm even slightly surprised.

That's gross.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

The rep could've saved face and at least brought up that she had a movie coming out later this year which would've boosted sales regardless......

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The rep could've saved face and at least brought up that she had a movie coming out later this year which would've boosted sales regardless......
    How would that make the production company that pulled the titles look any better? If anything, it'd make them look even more callous and greedy.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    How would that make the production company that pulled the titles look any better? If anything, it'd make them look even more callous and greedy.
    Save face and at least say that was the plan all along, regardless of death or not. That's simple business.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That story is apparently bogus. Netflix lost the streaming rights back on December 30, 2011. The guy who broke the orginal story admits he was wrong (or at least that he received wrong information).

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Save face and at least say that was the plan all along, regardless of death or not. That's simple business.
    Save face by saying they already planned to pull the titles right after she happened to die? It's bogus anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The Artist will be streaming soon.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Can someone explain EPIX to me?

It's a cable channel. Why do you ask?
    Movie Theater Diary

This is really cool. Roku is ditching the box model and is going to be this portable HDMI thumb drive from now on. Just plug it into an HDMI port like a USB stick and you can have that TV access Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Movie Theater Diary

Page 23 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast