Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

- - - - -
    Studio demands explain the changes to pricing and service plans, but not the creation of a separate business which doesn't interoperate with the original corp.

The only explanation I've seen touted around is about a potential selloff, but since every keyboard jock out there recognizes DVDs are a shit business, who is gonna buy Qwikster in 2, 3 years time? Nobody talks about that part.

I bet Jeff Bezos is happy as hell though. Hastings just dropped his guard and stuck his chin out.

All the whining about this by the users on The Consumerist is really starting to get on my nerves.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Studio demands explain the changes to pricing and service plans, but not the creation of a separate business which doesn't interoperate with the original corp.
    How does the quoted text not explain it?

STUDIO: Pay streaming royalty for every subscriber you have.

NETFLIX: That's not fair. Not all of our customers use streaming. How about we pay for every subscriber that uses the streaming service?

STUDIO: No! You're one company, so it's all the same! Pay for every customer.

NETFLIX: Well, fuck it, fine. We're now two companies. There.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    gotta say I love the @Qwikster twitter account.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    How does the quoted text not explain it?
    Before the pricing/service change, anyone with a sub had access to IW. Aferwards, the site changed depending on your plan. DVD only never saw any hint of IW content and could not access it, and vice versa.

So at face value, that would be enough to satisfy studio demands. Studios strong-arming Netflix into a split company, forcing them to create a entirely new legal entity, is pure conjecture.

Mostly I don't believe it because people in these articles are talking about "the studios" as if they're a single entity, when they're not. They're also ignoring the deals Amazon, Apple, and Blockbuster cut with these same groups of people, making good with some serious limitations but without cutting off chunks of their own corporations.

Those are pay-per-download sites, which are far easier to negotiate returns than and completely different from striking deals based on a flat fee subscription model. If there's another well-known streaming site that does what Netflix does, I don't know it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I refuse to use RedBox. I'm not renting movies from the same place that people buy Big Gulps and Egg McMuffins.
    I'm waiting for the Whole Foods Organically made vending machine box.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I'm currently using streaming only, and I figure its probably for the best seeing as I was tired of having to return the DVDs in the mail. Still this splitting of services probably means I'll never go back to DVDs in the mail at all.

Which might in turn result in me using RedBox and even having to crawl back to my old local video store even more, although I haven't begun doing that just yet.
    So you're too lazy to put DVDs in your mailbox, but not too lazy to drive to Wal-Mart or your local video store to pick from a significantly smaller selection?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    So you're too lazy to put DVDs in your mailbox, but not too lazy to drive to Wal-Mart or your local video store to pick from a significantly smaller selection?
    No, that's not it at all, and actually its the fact that I don't even like using a mailbox is the reason why (so far) I haven't been using RedBox or my local video store again. Learn to read, man.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This is basically how I feel about RedBox:

[youtube]uLtlwAGZx6U[/youtube]
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Those are pay-per-download sites, which are far easier to negotiate returns than and completely different from striking deals based on a flat fee subscription model. If there's another well-known streaming site that does what Netflix does, I don't know it.
    The difference is in the size of the catalogue. Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus offer subscription deals which are the same on execution and similar in price to Netflix. That's today, right now. (You could argue that NFLX has a physical media business that the others don't have... except Amazon has a used market which is arguably more of an anathema to content producers than Netflix's DVDs).

Then there's Dish/Blockbuster and Apple, both of whom are long rumored to be developing their own competing services. (iCloud won't be just for file backups, and what happens if Dish buys Hulu?)

So why is this monolithic studio demanding Netflix split, while presumably negotiating freely with all its competitors?

I get the studios charging per customer. I get Netflix changing their account model in order to acquiesce to that demand and to save money. I don't get how that translates into cleaving their company in two, making user hostile moves, and diluting the brand they've built up over twelve years.

My take on all this is that I'm going to enjoy Netflix as much as possible while I still can, and while its still it faintly resembles the website I originally signed up for back in 2009.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Wow, Netflix has lost over 1 million customers since the news of the price increase.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I assume you've all read The Oatmeal comic about the split? If not, you really should.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I was just coming here to post that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Not getting the Redbox hate. Cheaper, faster and more convenient than any video store. But it's at Wal-Mart!

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    Not getting the Redbox hate. Cheaper, faster and more convenient than any video store. But it's at Wal-Mart!
    Unlike Merlot, it's still the same movie.

Plus, at McDonald's, fairly sure they'll still have copies of Meek's Cutoff... But not copies of Cabin Fever 2.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Robby P (view post)
    Video stores have a significantly larger selection and they're not in Wal-Marts, but otherwise they suck unless they're a specialty store. I think people are saying that compared to Netflx, Hulu, etc., Redbox sucks. It's the McDonald's of the video rental world, conveniently located within select McDonald's branches.

It's the McDonald's of the video rental world, conveniently located within select McDonald's branches.
    And Wallmarts, and gas stations and practically every shopping center.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Just like McDonalds!
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's certainly a reasonable option for people who don't watch any movies from before 2010. Most people on this site don't fit into this demographic.

It's certainly a reasonable option for people who don't watch any movies from before 2010. Most people on this site don't fit into this demographic.
    I agree and this is why Netflix will always be the best option for me.

Just look at all the shit I need to watch!

I want those lists filled by 2020

Amazon to buy Netflix? I support this.

Dear Customer,

I have big news for Amazon Prime members - we've just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and - available on digital video for the first time - The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.

Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there's still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.

Prime instant videos can be played on more than 300 HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.
    Amazon is dominating.

We should prob change the trhead title to "streaming services"? Unless you want me to make a 2nd thread for this? I <3 Amazon Prime

Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast