Thread: The Netflix Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    While certainly re-issuing popular films on Blu-ray and new "editions" and so forth is a vast marketing strategy, and you are also right that I would not be sad if physical media went the way of the dodo, you are also missing that a software upgrade is cheaper because it is just that, an add-on to an already existing program or application. A Blu-ray is not simply the old DVD painted with blue 1080p magic dust, it is a whole new technology and an entirely new disc. I'm not sure if the technology justifies it costing more than a DVD, but to assume you should be able to buy a new Blu-ray for very cheap because you own the DVD is kinda silly.
    In addition to that, Studio's keep digging up more content to fill the new media, which makes the new purchase perfectly acceptable. Look at the new Back to the Future release. It has scenes from the original casted Marty, Eric Stoltz.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh, physical media will die. It is inevitable just like applications like MS Office and Quickbooks installed locally will die. Which would you rather do? Buy MS Office and then have to download and install updates and bug fixes and pay for new versions or pay a monthly fee to always know that a URL takes you to the latest MS Office? Keep paying for newer and better DVDs, BRs, and beyond or pay for a service that always delivers to you the latest and greatest version of that title?
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Oh, physical media will die. It is inevitable just like applications like MS Office and Quickbooks installed locally will die. Which would you rather do? Buy MS Office and then have to download and install updates and bug fixes and pay for new versions or pay a monthly fee to always know that a URL takes you to the latest MS Office? Keep paying for newer and better DVDs, BRs, and beyond or pay for a service that always delivers to you the latest and greatest version of that title?
    I'd rather use Open Office, for free.

I'd rather use Open Office, for free.
    My experiences with Open Office have been very disconcerting. I've also been at two workplaces that considered using it and didn't.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    Well of course physical media will die.. but not for a long time. Not until the average US broadband connection far exceeds 100-150MB down .
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's one reason why I prefer having a PS3 to a Bluray player, actually. The fact that it's also a great digital media player.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary