Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2478

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Has anyone watched the Sacha Baron Cohen Series on Netflix? the Spy??
    Didn't it just start yesterday?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Dunno. I just opened it up and saw it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I heard middling to good things.

Apparently it's based on a real dude.

Well they had to do something.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Wonder how much NFLX paid for a 20 year old sitcom? And how long the license lasts?

I don't understand the slavish devotion to this stuff. Do people really subscribe/unsubscribe based on whether a service has their favorite show?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Wonder how much NFLX paid for a 20 year old sitcom? And how long the license lasts?

I don't understand the slavish devotion to this stuff. Do people really subscribe/unsubscribe based on whether a service has their favorite show?
    I look at it like, more of a reason not to cancel so people can say: "well at least they have X, Y and Z"

They may not become a new subscriber, but based on my observations and how much Netflix spent on trying to keep Office/Friends, it appears that it prevents a lot of people from unsubscribing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I'm legit surprised NBCUniversal didn't keep that close to their chest as an exclusive. You would think they would after getting The Office back for their streaming service.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm legit surprised NBCUniversal didn't keep that close to their chest as an exclusive. You would think they would after getting The Office back for their streaming service.
    Netflix made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Whoa... $500 million and apparently they were up against NBCUniversal, which means this money goes to Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David??

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-reported...-fo-1838160038

I know lots of people that would follow Seinfeld anywhere. A lot of these people are the same kind of people, Irish, that wander in to those movie theaters and ask, "Whats starting now? One please."

- - - - -
    Yeah. This time you're def lying.

[]

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Quote Quoting Washington Post
    The money will certainly make some studios rich and assure fans the shows will exist online, somewhere, for the foreseeable future. But it ignores a fundamental question: How exactly are these shows valued?

More important, it ignores the fact that nobody seems to know the answer.

“It’s the biggest problem people aren’t talking about: We have no actual information about what creates or reduces churn,” said Dan Rayburn, an expert on streaming media technology. “So we have no way of knowing how much a show is really worth.”

The problem, Rayburn and others say, is that the profit-and-loss statement is out the window, being replaced by … nobody knows.

The value of classic shows was once easily quantified, via the syndication model. There was practically a formula. A buyer calculated the ratings in first-run and repeats. Then they looked at how much ad money a show thus rated could garner. Then they agreed to prices accordingly.

The equation was simple: You wanted to sell enough ads to justify your cost. It didn’t always work out, of course. But there was a road map.

Streaming now, though, appears to be a total gamble.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...s-big-problem/

Hmmmmm

I mean, yeah, with out the data in front of you I guess it's a gamble. But when you're not dealing with the guesswork of the Neilson system, and you can click a button (like Netflix can) and see that user 476892 is on their 37th rewatch of Friends because THATS ALL THEYVE WATCHED for the last 3 years with their Netflix membership, it makes sense to shell out for Seinfeld.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I mean, yeah, with out the data in front of you I guess it's a gamble. But when you're not dealing with the guesswork of the Neilson system, and you can click a button (like Netflix can) and see that user 476892 is on their 37th rewatch of Friends because THATS ALL THEYVE WATCHED for the last 3 years with their Netflix membership, it makes sense to shell out for Seinfeld.
    I know a particular pothead that has probably rewatched Friends that exact amount of times.

This makes so much fucking sense. Seriously, being an analyst for Netflix must be the easiest job on the planet....

Rough math incoming;

Netflix has 150 million subscribers paying $16/month

If a quarter of those are the mindless ones that Skitch is portraying here... (and who knows maybe it's more maybe its less the math still works out).

That's 30 million x 16 x 12 x 3 (years) = $17,280,000,000 over a three year haul... which will well exceed what they paid to run the series for 3-5 years or whatever the contact is...

Doing backwards math, You would only need 868,055 mindless viewers to break even with that Seinfeld deal... which is only 0.5% of their total membership.

Footnote: Netflix has never seen a decline in membership year over year... ever.

Woooooow. Thats crazy! And thats only 20% of their subscribers.

Correlate that to movie going audiences...how many of us believe only 20% of general movie goers (based on what sells tickets) have shiite taste?

Woooooow. Thats crazy! And thats only 20% of their subscribers.

Correlate that to movie going audiences...how many of us believe only 20% of general movie goers (based on what sells tickets) have shiite taste?
    Think about what Netflix has become too.. A commodity. It's like an iPhone at this point. People aren't going to cancel. They are going to carry this sub forever.

Nah, it was pretty easy for me to cancel.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Think about what Netflix has become too.. A commodity. It's like an iPhone at this point. People aren't going to cancel. They are going to carry this sub forever.
    The price point could become an issue. Could. Or I could find myself going back down to mailers or something.

Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast