Page 66 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2478

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I really love that Netflix is pouring as much into its standup as it is. There's some good stuff and it's helped me discover or deepen my appreciation for a lot of comics.
    Same here.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Discussions failed.

Star Wars and Marvel will leave Netflix.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/sta...ce-1202549993/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Has this been posted here yet? I forget.

https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-...audience-data/
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Discussions failed.

Star Wars and Marvel will leave Netflix.
    Netflix in Korea doesn't have these anyway, so... welcome to my world, suckers!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Netflix is raising its prices

Standard - $7.99 (unchanged)
    HD - $10.99
    4K - $13.99

http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/netfl...-prices-again/

Once Disney leaves, will it be worth $11 a month?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    The HD price is comparable to other streaming services. Amazon Prime/Video is $10.99 a month and Hulu Plus (or whatever its called) is around the same amount.

You can't compare it to Amazon. Amazon offers like 37 other things with that price. (Unless there's a video only option that they offer but that doesn't sound correct)

- - - - -
    They offered standalone video a year and a half ago for $8.99/mo. But you're right -- full Prime is $10.99/mo.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...ly-1201755340/

ETA: ha, if you cancel Prime, they offer a free month of streaming and $8.99/mo for video only.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-05-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Over/under how many years does Netflix last after Disney pulls its and Fox's content for their streaming service? I'll go with 4.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Over/under how many years does Netflix last after Disney pulls its and Fox's content for their streaming service? I'll go with 4.
    I feel like Netflix saw this coming, and that's why they're producing so much content, so they have an entire library ready for viewing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I feel like Netflix saw this coming, and that's why they're producing so much content, so they have an entire library ready for viewing.
    Do they really make that much of a profit, though? Bright alone has a $100 million dollar budget and it's not screening in theaters. Plus it doesn't help that they're going up against brand names like Marvel, Star Wars and The Simpsons. Netflix's biggest name is Stranger Things and even that might be on for only two more seasons.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I asked that same question in another thread that I can't find now. Netflix will be forced to pay StarZ or somebody to get their catalog back up.

Even now, it doesn't look good for Netflix. At least Amazon Prime I can rent any movie I want for $1-$5.

You guys might be underestimating how many people use Netflix. I think they'll be fine as long as they keep making original content.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    You guys might be underestimating how many people use Netflix. I think they'll be fine as long as they keep making original content.

We know how popular Netflix is today. This chart won't stay like this when all Marvel and Pixar stuff is gone. I would love to know the stats of how many parents put on Pixar movies for their kids and walk away.

My bet is that the percentage of Netflix subscribers who subscribe primarily for Marvel and Disney stuff is very, very, very, very, very, very, very small.

Fucking Fuller House is more watched than any of the Defenders shows.
    Movie Theater Diary

My bet is that the percentage of Netflix subscribers who subscribe primarily for Marvel and Disney stuff is very, very, very, very, very, very, very small.

Fucking Fuller House is more watched than any of the Defenders shows.
    There's data on this?

Their most popular show of the year is Ozark. Like, who the hell is talking about Ozark?

People like to compare Netflix to HBO but I'm thinking it's becoming more like CBS, where it's got these shows nobody particularly cares about but somehow absolutely dominate American eyeballs.
    Movie Theater Diary

There's data on this?
    Yeah. Netflix still doesn't like releasing their in-house analytics, but a lot of third parties do their own number crunching. Here's one for 2016:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-viewership/
    Movie Theater Diary

We know how popular Netflix is today. This chart won't stay like this when all Marvel and Pixar stuff is gone. I would love to know the stats of how many parents put on Pixar movies for their kids and walk away.
    A fraction of parents than hand them the remote with youtube. If the kids are into a movie we buy it. I think you're overestimating Disney for existing stuff that most people have already bought for their kids. Moving forward may be a different story, but we'll see the growth.

If Netflix switches to totally original content, I would cancel in a millisecond. But if it operates as quasi distributor of movies that will never get a release here in Korea (e.g., The Bad Batch) it has a reason to exist for me. Korea Netflix has no Star Wars or Marvel movies at all already...,
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

That's another point, sometimes it's weird talking about Netflix to people online because it has completely different libraries in each region.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah. Seinfeld pulled Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee from practically everywhere (the last seasons I can't even find on torrent sites) because it's moving to Netflix... well, not to my Netflix it isn't.

People like to compare Netflix to HBO but I'm thinking it's becoming more like CBS, where it's got these shows nobody particularly cares about but somehow absolutely dominate American eyeballs.
    I envision this becoming true. Stranger Things gets all the press, but there is just a plethora of innocuous documentaries, food shows, comedy specials and other niche programming that probably perform really well on that platform. Netflix may already be losing its appeal to serious "cinephiles" but that may not be a segment they need to worry about as much anymore. I expect them to keep churning out original content, not so much to bolster their library, but just to keep the brand at the forefront of the cultural consciousness. They can waste money on tons of crap, but as long as a handful of projects results in a consistent stream of social media impressions, online think pieces, etc., they're probably satisfied.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I need a new Netflix category which is "Actual Fucking Movies That a Reasonable Person Would Want to See".
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Page 66 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast