Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

- - - - -

The Netflix Thread

Just got this email:

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1. The price of your current plan is changing from $8.99 a month to $9.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2. We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team
    Good or bad? Can't decide.

Updated: Here's the new pricing structure from the Netflix Blog:

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Good or bad? Can't decide.
    Depends on what you're looking for. I'm now considering dumping my disc plan and going streaming-only.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.

The streaming only plan is probably more akin to subscribing to HBO or Showtime. Limited movie and TV availability. Those are the businesses you should be comparing pricing/content to if you're considering it.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I was on the 3-at-a-time plan, but it's too expensive and I use streaming 80% of the time. So, I'm cutting down to 1-at-a-time + streaming. Not willing to pay that much.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Excellent! I bumped myself down to 1 disc a month just so I could keep streaming, but not I can ditch the discs all together.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    There are plenty of movies I want to see that aren't available through the streaming service to justify the extra two dollars a month for DVDs.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

mine went from 17.99 to 19.99. i think i'm going to drop down to two at a time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.
    True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.

The only part of streaming-only that troubles me is that the movies & show licenses come and go pretty quickly, and Netflix itself doesn't give you much of a warning about this.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.
    Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.
    Also, I'm a clever and sensitive person: as wise as I'm lovely, tender and accomplished, graceful and compassionate, with laughter like tiny freaking bells.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Thanks for that addendum. It's good to know. ;-)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I stream more than I receive discs, but my guess is they will go with everything being available on streaming. I currently have the 2 out at a time deal, considering dropping to stream only.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I use the discs primarily, mostly because the movies I want aren't available on instant watch. This is disappointing. I'll probably drop to two a month.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    but my guess is they will go with everything being available on streaming.
    Won't ever happen. Other subscription services don't want their movies available for streaming on Netflix. Studios also limit their licenses to Netflix Instant Watch because of the broadcast and basic cable deals they might have in play. There's never going to be significantly more content available to you through Netflix Instant Watch than on, say, HBO. At least for newer movies.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

I dropped to one a month. I've had my Netflix movies in their sleeves for over a month untouched.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

- - - - -
    @DavidSeven - Well said. The cable deals hamstring everyone (Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, Hulu) trying to compete in this space. Eventually I figured the studios/cable companies (one in the same?) will try to roll out their own dedicated streaming services, and try to cripple the upstarts they way they crippled TiVo.

I'm on the one DVD plan currently. It still seems the best option given the greater selection of DVDs. But a streaming only option starts to look better every day.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I use the discs primarily, mostly because the movies I want aren't available on instant watch. This is disappointing. I'll probably drop to two a month.
    This. Although I'm not that disappointed, since this is hopefully a sign that they'll get more stuff available for instant even faster than they have been.

Won't ever happen. Other subscription services don't want their movies available for streaming on Netflix. Studios also limit their licenses to Netflix Instant Watch because of the broadcast and basic cable deals they might have in play. There's never going to be significantly more content available to you through Netflix Instant Watch than on, say, HBO. At least for newer movies.
    Screw new movies.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Screw new movies.
    Right on!

Anyway, the selection for older stuff is limited on Instant Watch too. Seems the extra couple bucks would be worth being able to see whatever you wanted. I'm on the two-at-a-time plan myself even though I haven't gotten a disc in ages. I'll probably convert to one-at-a-time + streaming.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'm debating dropping from three-a-month to two-a-month, but I like how the 3 plan ensures constant rotation, and I don't mind the increase, since I abuse the shit out of their instant service.

I remain intensely satisfied with them.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I have no problem paying an extra dollar a month, but I'd never get rid of the option to have at least one disc at home. I love the streaming, but it's far too limited in its present form.

Right on!

Anyway, the selection for older stuff is limited on Instant Watch too. Seems the extra couple bucks would be worth being able to see whatever you wanted. I'm on the two-at-a-time plan myself even though I haven't gotten a disc in ages. I'll probably convert to one-at-a-time + streaming.

Yeah I agree that the lack of old content on instant watch is fairly lame, but hopefully that will change with time as licensing is probably less of an issue there.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I do the 1-DVD plan and mostly watch Instant Watch now.

I have to admit, I thought I was paying $9.99 already, so whatever.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I have to admit, I thought I was paying $9.99 already, so whatever.
    Same

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast