Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    - - - - -

The Netflix Thread

Just got this email:

We want to let you know about two important changes to the Netflix service.

1. The price of your current plan is changing from $8.99 a month to $9.99 a month. This new price will be effective with your next billing statement on or after January 2, 2011, and will be referenced in your Membership Details. With your current plan you can both instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV and receive unlimited DVDs by mail.

2. We now also offer a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies on your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately – if you'd like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited movies and TV episodes two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price change will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

We hope you're enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you'll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-715-2146.

–The Netflix Team
    Good or bad? Can't decide.

Updated: Here's the new pricing structure from the Netflix Blog:

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Good or bad? Can't decide.
    Depends on what you're looking for. I'm now considering dumping my disc plan and going streaming-only.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.

The streaming only plan is probably more akin to subscribing to HBO or Showtime. Limited movie and TV availability. Those are the businesses you should be comparing pricing/content to if you're considering it.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I was on the 3-at-a-time plan, but it's too expensive and I use streaming 80% of the time. So, I'm cutting down to 1-at-a-time + streaming. Not willing to pay that much.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Excellent! I bumped myself down to 1 disc a month just so I could keep streaming, but not I can ditch the discs all together.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    There are plenty of movies I want to see that aren't available through the streaming service to justify the extra two dollars a month for DVDs.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

mine went from 17.99 to 19.99. i think i'm going to drop down to two at a time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Not sure about good or bad, but it was inevitable. Netflix is doing everything they can to get out of the "shipping DVDs" business. Postage is their most significant cost -- hundreds of millions in expenses. They cringe every time they have to mail someone a DVD.
    True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.

The only part of streaming-only that troubles me is that the movies & show licenses come and go pretty quickly, and Netflix itself doesn't give you much of a warning about this.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    True. Mara's behavior interests me, though, because it means on some level Netflix might be cannibalizing their own sales.
    Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yeah, they'll be losing money on me. I'm the perfect customer: I never ask for new stuff, and then it sits around forever until I have time to watch it. Meanwhile, I stream like a demon.
    Also, I'm a clever and sensitive person: as wise as I'm lovely, tender and accomplished, graceful and compassionate, with laughter like tiny freaking bells.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Thanks for that addendum. It's good to know. ;-)

I got a Roku for Christmas and I'm already starting to wonder how I ever lived without it. The idea of digging through my VHS collection sounds arduous compared to finding the movie on the Roku.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I got a Roku for Christmas and I'm already starting to wonder how I ever lived without it. The idea of digging through my VHS collection sounds arduous compared to finding the movie on the Roku.
    Is the Roku limited to Netflix's movie library, or does it have its own? I know it has Amazon OnDemand and Hulu Plus, but those you have to pay extra to access.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Is the Roku limited to Netflix's movie library, or does it have its own? I know it has Amazon OnDemand and Hulu Plus, but those you have to pay extra to access.
    The main library is Netflix. However, it also has a bunch of other channels with free, public domain movies/TV and old time radio, and stuff like that. It's pretty cool. I recently watched a bunch of old PD cartoons, including the entire run of the old Superman series.

Interesting. I have some Christmas cash that needs spending. Perhaps I'll look into it.

Do you have to pay a subscription fee to Roku, or only to the pay services you want to use?

Netflix Instant Watch

After a search on the forum, I was surprised not to find a thread like this already. I'm always looking for quality suggestions that can also be found conveniently on Netflix Instant Watch. Please use this thread to fill with recommendations of movies/TV shows already on Netflix and a heads-up for new titles to come.

I'll start with a few -- I know these films have been discussed by multiple Match Cutters and played as strong contenders in the 2010 Match Cut Awards Nomination process...

I Am Love
    Exit Through the Gift Shop
    Dogtooth

And there are a bunch of good TV shows on there in their entirety, off the top of my head...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Arrested Development
    Coupling
    Veronica Mars

And a couple TV shows that are well regarded here that I plan on watching...

Firefly
    Downtown Abbey

So feel free to chime in. And I hope this thread doesn't die, because the main reason I'm making this is hope to be notified when something good is added in the future.

I considered making a thread like this a bunch of times. There's a bunch of stuff on Netflix Instant worth watching.

I was just commenting on That Mitchell and Webb Look, British TV comedy that's quite hilarious. Gonna flip over there right now and have a watch.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I'm trying to watch every episode of Saturday Night Live. I'm up to episode 13 (of season 1) so far. I was thinking of starting a thread to review them.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Isaac (view post)
    I'm trying to watch every episode of Saturday Night Live. I'm up to episode 13 (of season 1) so far. I was thinking of starting a thread to review them.
    Yes. Do this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This site:

http://instantwatcher.com/

is indispensable.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Lots of Criterion are leaving on 5/26, so get them in if you can.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, the criterion/netflix deal is over then. So all of them should go off instant watch. They'll all be on hulu now.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Yeah, the criterion/netflix deal is over then. So all of them should go off instant watch. They'll all be on hulu now.
    There's still a lot that are staying still.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    arghhhh Eyes Without A Face needs to be watched!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast