Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Favorite Albums of 2007

Islaja – Ulual Yyy

Genre: Freak folk

An album so haunting and frightening that if played for the Church of Scientology, I’m confident they’d reverse their stance of depression. Like Bjork after being lost in a vast forest of nothingness for a decade, Merja Kokkonen‘s alto crooning evoke a palpable sense of isolation and unease. The band’s often mistuned instruments create dense, atmospheric sound and swarming madness for Kokkonen‘s fragile yet authoritative voice to push through. One of the best groups in the New Weird Finland movement and among the most consistent in freak folk period, Islaja gravitate more towards the freak end, content to remain inaccessible in favor of following through on their sound, which recalls the empty landscapes of their homeland and a haunting nostalgia for a ghostly past that may not have ever existed.

Recommended Tracks: Pete P, Varjokuvastin, Sydanten Ahmija

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I've really dig what I've heard of Studio; I'm sure that album will make my top ten when I hear it in full. Thx for the memo.
    Yeah, it's an awesome album and so much fun. It's only as low as it is b/c I just got to it a little over a week ago and didn't want put it too high simply due to initial excitement.

PJ Harvey – White Chalk

Genre: Singer/Songwriter

Polly Jean puts her guitar down in favor of a more stipped down approach. With just a piano and some simple, mostly acoustic, backing, she bears her soul in a far more intimate way than she has before. Nearly as haunting as Ulual Yyy, I give this one the slight edge for its more personal touches and the emotional complexity it achieves through its minimalist approach. To be honest, these are the types of albums that usually have a few songs I really like and even more that leave me cold, so the fact that this one is consistently awesome is a pleasant surprise that earns it my respect and admiration. Harvey’s proven she can rock out with the best of them and now she’s beaten Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco and [insert your thoroughly mediocre, overrated female vocalist with this approach here] at their own game her first time out. And quite badly, I might add.

Recommended Tracks: The Mountain, Grow Grow Grow, White Chalk

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Good pick. I was just listening to my previous favorite album of hers, To Bring You My Love, and realized I may actually like her more than I remembered.

As a side note, the bizarre line in my signature is actually from Long Snake Moan where she says "is my voodoo working?," a line I always misheard. I like my interpretation better, though.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)

PJ Harvey – White Chalk

Genre: Singer/Songwriter

Polly Jean puts her guitar down in favor of a more stipped down approach. With just a piano and some simple, mostly acoustic, backing, she bears her soul in a far more intimate way than she has before. Nearly as haunting as Ulual Yyy, I give this one the slight edge for its more personal touches and the emotional complexity it achieves through its minimalist approach. To be honest, these are the types of albums that usually have a few songs I really like and even more that leave me cold, so the fact that this one is consistently awesome is a pleasant surprise that earns it my respect and admiration. Harvey’s proven she can rock out with the best of them and now she’s beaten Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco and [insert your thoroughly mediocre, overrated female vocalist with this approach here] at their own game her first time out. And quite badly, I might add.

Recommended Tracks: The Mountain, Grow Grow Grow, White Chalk

Yeah,the first time I heard this, I was like "When did Tori Amos kill PJ Harvey and take over her career?", but upon repeated listens, the Polly Jean craft and songwriting skills emerge from the shock of the change in direction. Simply a great, great artist.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Good pick. I was just listening to my previous favorite album of hers, To Bring You My Love, and realized I may actually like her more than I remembered.

As a side note, the bizarre line in my signature is actually from Long Snake Moan where she says "is my voodoo working?," a line I always misheard. I like my interpretation better, though.
    I definitely like your interpretation better.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier
    Yeah,the first time I heard this, I was like "When did Tori Amos kill PJ Harvey and take over her career?", but upon repeated listens, the Polly Jean craft and songwriting skills emerge from the shock of the change in direction. Simply a great, great artist.
    I really haven't listened to her previous albums all that much, though I liked everything I'd heard. That probably made it easier for me to instantaneously fall for this one. You should check out the live performance of "Grow Grow Grow" she did for French tv that I linked. Her voice is absolutely remarkable.

Fog – Ditherer

Genre: Pseudo-experimental Rock, Church of Jeff Mangum

Fog’s Ditherer seemed to be overlooked or scoffed at by most outlets aside from Cokemachineglow’s dismantling of Pitchfork for so quickly dismissing it – a paragraph that stands as one of the most amusing rants of any year-end write-up. But now onto the actual music. First off, this album is far more complex that it initially sounds. At first, it’s flares of classic and southern rock guitars riffs give it a somewhat derivative feel, but it’s off-kilter and ever-so-slightly off-key sounds unearth the originality and ferocity of the tight compositions. Songs progress with authority achieving a rhythm of their own, yet often taken abrupt, disconcerting turns that build to powerful crescendos like “Hallelujah Daddy” and “You Did What You Thought” or the soft, emotional plateaus of “Ditherer”. As you may have noticed by this point in the list, there are not many traditional R.O.C.K. rock albums on this list, mostly because there aren’t many rock bands out there willing to do much with the form without going into the experimental. No thank you, Great White Stripes Hype. Fog and Prinzhorn Dance School are among the few bands holding strong to the traditional rock template while able to deconstruct its clichés and reform it into a sound all their own.

Recommended Tracks: Hallelujah Daddy, We Will Have Vanished (just press the megaphone looking thing to left of Fog to play), Your Beef Is Mine (slightly different from the album cut)

Phosphorescent – Pride

Genre: Lo-fi folk rock, Chamber pop

Pride’s glacial pacing will likely lose the impatient listener before the first track even ends, but those who stick with it are in for one of the most emotionally gratifying and purest albums of the year. With choral harmonizing, acoustic guitar strums stretched to an eternity and the gentle rattle of tambourines and drums in the distant background, Phosphorescent achieve a sense of peacefulness and calm in their music that is downright spiritual. Relying not on a slow burn towards a predictable catharsis at the end, the band allows their songs always to exist and linger in the NOW instead of saving all the good stuff for the end – an approach which demands the near-perfection of every note, which the album primarily achieves. The electric guitars on “Wolves” and flurry of ancient piano’s on the second half of “Cocaine Lights” are as cathartic as anything I’ve heard all year, yet they are firmly implanted in the song’s structures, not an exit which we’ve been waiting to take for minutes prior. Phosphorescent’s organic sound contains the power not only to move you, but to make life and everything around you seem a little bit more beautiful, if only for the 42 minutes the album’s playing.

Recommended Tracks: Wolves, Cocaine Lights, A Picture Of Our Torn Up Praise

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I like Fog, although not a huge fan, but really disliked Ditherer.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

Cool list. I like your write ups, good stuff. I don't really care for any of these bands or albums yet, but I am enjoying reading what you have to say.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Cool list. I like your write ups, good stuff. I don't really care for any of these bands or albums yet, but I am enjoying reading what you have to say.
    Nothing you like even in the honorable mentions!? I figured I'd at least have a little something for everyone...hopefully I'll get to something you like by the end.

And thanks, people reading these and checking out some of the songs really makes it worthwhile.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    I just bought Pride a few days ago on iTunes, and while I've only listened to the first three songs so far, if those are a sign of what's to come, I'm in for something really special. Will Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters make an appearance on this list? I just bought that one on iTunes, and it sounds good so far as well.

If you guys ever get a chance to see PJ live, it's pretty much the best thing happening on planet Earth.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Nothing you like even in the honorable mentions!? I figured I'd at least have a little something for everyone...hopefully I'll get to something you like by the end.

And thanks, people reading these and checking out some of the songs really makes it worthwhile.

I've listened to some of the stuff you've listed, the stuff I haven't heard, and while some of it is pretty good, it just doesn't grab me. I am not saying these are bad choices, it just takes a lot to get me into a new band these days. I've grown kind of old and miserly with my music listening the past few years, and I am pretty content with all the bands and artists I already listen to. Most of the "new" stuff I listen to these days is old stuff I've recently discovered or purchased, or new albums by older artists. I guess I just don't connect with a lot of the new "indie" stuff the kids are making these days.

My top albums from 2007 looks something like this:

Ulrich Schnaus - Goodbye
    Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - Before the Day Breaks and After the Night Falls
    Ween - La Cucaracha

That's about it! I just don't explore or connect with enough new stuff.

Oh, I did check out ARP, and I thought they were pretty cool, but I already listen to a ton of Tangerine Dream, so I don't think I need more analog arpeggios.

I've listened to some of the stuff you've listed, the stuff I haven't heard, and while some of it is pretty good, it just doesn't grab me. I am not saying these are bad choices, it just takes a lot to get me into a new band these days. I've grown kind of old and miserly with my music listening the past few years, and I am pretty content with all the bands and artists I already listen to. Most of the "new" stuff I listen to these days is old stuff I've recently discovered or purchased, or new albums by older artists. I guess I just don't connect with a lot of the new "indie" stuff the kids are making these days.

My top albums from 2007 looks something like this:

Ulrich Schnaus - Goodbye
    Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - Before the Day Breaks and After the Night Falls
    Ween - La Cucaracha

That's about it! I just don't explore or connect with enough new stuff.

Oh, I did check out ARP, and I thought they were pretty cool, but I already listen to a ton of Tangerine Dream, so I don't think I need more analog arpeggios.
    I hear you with regard to not getting into newer music. I used to listen to a ton of classic rock in favor of newer music, until a few years ago a friend started sending me a ton of great new stuff and got me hooked on it.

I certainly can't argue with choosing Tangerine Dream over Arp, but I guess I like analog arpeggios enough to make room for both of them.

EDIT: Oh, and I liked the Schnauss album, but there were a few other ambient electronic albums I liked more and put on the list instead. It was interesting how he tried to integrate vocals into a genre which usually doesn't have any...even if it didn't always work.

Shugo Tokumaru – Exit

Certainly among the finest pop albums of recent years, Exit achieves similar results as the Phosphorescent album, but by extremely different means. Tokumaru’s upbeat acoustic guitar is enhanced by xylophones, synths, flutes and a variety of other seemingly cutesy instruments that fold themselves into his happy and offbeat vision of the world rather than standing out as senseless quirkiness. Exit is music at its brightest and most enjoyable – the kind of music that might cause some people to raise an eyebrow at first, to which I’d respond with a “Lighten the fuck up!”

Recommended Tracks: Button, Parachute, Clocca

Not quite in my top 3, but the video and song are still great: Green Rain

EDIT: Oh, and I liked the Schnauss album, but there were a few other ambient electronic albums I liked more and put on the list instead. It was interesting how he tried to integrate vocals into a genre which usually doesn't have any...even if it didn't always work.
    I would like to hear more vocals in ambient music. I think this is an area of music not yet fully explored.

I discovered this website last night, it is pretty damn awesome.

http://www.ambientmusicguide.com/pages/essential.php

Check it out if you haven't yet. The essay on the history of the genre is quite good.

Have you heard the new (well, early '07) Marissa Nadler, Derek? I can't stop listening to it.

Have you heard the new (well, early '07) Marissa Nadler, Derek? I can't stop listening to it.
    Yup, I love it. It was one of the more painful cuts to the year end list as "Sylvia" and "Mexican Summer" are both among my favorite tracks of the year. Unfortunately, this and a couple other early '07 albums probably slipped a little too far simply because I haven't listened to them as recently as some others. Her debut album Ballads of Living and Dying is equally good if you haven't heard that one.

I would like to hear more vocals in ambient music. I think this is an area of music not yet fully explored.

I discovered this website last night, it is pretty damn awesome.

http://www.ambientmusicguide.com/pages/essential.php

Check it out if you haven't yet. The essay on the history of the genre is quite good.
    Thanks, that looks fantastic and incredibly comprehensive!

Yup, I love it. It was one of the more painful cuts to the year end list as "Sylvia" and "Mexican Summer" are both among my favorite tracks of the year. Unfortunately, this and a couple other early '07 albums probably slipped a little too far simply because I haven't listened to them as recently as some others. Her debut album Ballads of Living and Dying is equally good if you haven't heard that one.
    Yeah, I've liked her other albums, but her latest blew me away. My only quibble is the "Famous Blue Raincoat" cover, which is awesome on it's own, but a pretty cliche inclusion on an record like this. Great live last year too, despite the worst crowd imaginable.

Reminds me... I need to check out the latest Nina Nastasia.

Yeah, I've liked her other albums, but her latest blew me away. My only quibble is the "Famous Blue Raincoat" cover, which is awesome on it's own, but a pretty cliche inclusion on an record like this. Great live last year too, despite the worst crowd imaginable.

Reminds me... I need to check out the latest Nina Nastasia.
    Another good'un. Jim White's drumming is amazing.

Blonde Redhead – 23

I make no apologies for my general fondness towards anything with even a hint of shoegaze, so I was not surprised to love its incorporation into Blonde Redhead's new album. Oddly enough, many critics saw this as a regression for the art rockers, but I can think of no direction I'd rather them head than towards a more lush sound that melds perfectly to Kazu Makino's sexy voice. While Misery is a Butterfly is their most original album, 23 is the album that best plays to the trio's strengths of breathy duets and efficient guitar work. It's dream pop feel is curbed by catchy guitar riffs and simple, yet hard-edged drum beats that give it a distinctive rock sound. The album's production is magnificent as well, layering multiple guitars and vocal tracks creating rich melodies that flow seamlessly from one song to the next.

Recommended Tracks: 23, Publisher (ignore the video), Top Ranking (video w/Miranda July!)

Deer Tick - War Elephant

Let's get one thing out of the way - I hate country music. I mean, it's not just a "not my thing" feeling I have towards it, but a "block CMT from my cable channels, so I don't accidentally catch a second of it and have to clean the blood that drips from my ears" one. Now, Deer Tick isn't exactly your typical country music, but he's not really like your Wilco's and Neko Case's that are also apart of alt-country either. There's enough of a rock sound to his music to avoid the twanginess that literally destroys an entire musical genre for me, but the roots of his sound holds an undoubtable debt to country. And this is part of the reason why I love this album so much. It manages to take cues from a genre I long considered devoid of all value and crafts it into something beautiful and intensely emotional. John McCauley's Dylanesque voice is the perfect vessel for the bittersweet lyrics that grace his songs of love and loss - lyrics which take themes so popular in country, yet are developed in such interesting and complex ways that they become an interesting element on their own. That I normally consider the voice another instrument, it speaks to the strength of this album when I say that I've perked my ears up to catch the lyrics of each and every song. Trust me, this album will take a few listens to get on the same wavelength, but it's definitely worth the effort. Even moreso, if you're a hater of country like myself. Oh yeah, dude's only 21, so respeck.

Recommended Tracks: Dirty Dishes, Art Isn't Real (City of Sin), Standing At The Threshold

Blonde Redhead – 23

I make no apologies for my general fondness towards anything with even a hint of shoegaze, so I was not surprised to love its incorporation into Blonde Redhead's new album. Oddly enough, many critics saw this as a regression for the art rockers, but I can think of no direction I'd rather them head than towards a more lush sound that melds perfectly to Kazu Makino's sexy voice. While Misery is a Butterfly is their most original album, 23 is the album that best plays to the trio's strengths of breathy duets and efficient guitar work. It's dream pop feel is curbed by catchy guitar riffs and simple, yet hard-edged drum beats that give it a distinctive rock sound. The album's production is magnificent as well, layering multiple guitars and vocal tracks creating rich melodies that flow seamlessly from one song to the next.
    :up: Been a Blonde Redhead fan for years now, although they're far from their original no-wave style, but I think the changes have been for the better with their last two albums. You're right about Kazu's voice. A little reverb makes it sound heavenly.

Maybe my memory is different, but I thought the critical reception to this one was very positive, almost overwhelmingly so.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast