Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remakes vs. Originals: An Epic Battle

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Since 12 Angry Men is in my top 5 all time, I should probably check out the remake.

Got another battle:

Fright Night (1985) vs Fright Night (2011)
    I'll rent the remake at some point-it just finally came out on DVD, I think. I really like the original, and for some reason I missed out on the remake in theaters.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    . . . I still like the original a good deal more even if it isn't the better movie.

Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    Heh, there's a difference between "Favorite" and "Best."
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I'll rent the remake at some point-it just finally came out on DVD, I think. I really like the original, and for some reason I missed out on the remake in theaters.
    I was SHOCKED how much I enjoyed the remake. I think its failure is a case of an extremely poorly cut trailer.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Heh, there's a difference between "Favorite" and "Best."
    I love this discussion. We should have it again.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I was SHOCKED how much I enjoyed the remake. I think its failure is a case of an extremely poorly cut trailer.
    It failed??

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It failed??
    Didn't it? Sorry, that was just an off the cuff comment, based purely on assumption. I hope it didn't. You know what? I actually had a freakin' blast with the remake.

Just checked boxofficemojo. Made 37 million, cost 30. So I guess it is in the black. Good for FN!

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I saw this pop up and the past couple days I've been thinking about writing a remake vs. original blog posting because this year I've watched both or the one I hadn't seen of the following:

Ocean's Eleven
    The Italian Job
    The Taking of Pelham 123
    Infernal Affairs

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I saw this pop up and the past couple days I've been thinking about writing a remake vs. original blog posting because this year I've watched both or the one I hadn't seen of the following:

Ocean's Eleven
    The Italian Job
    The Taking of Pelham 123
    Infernal Affairs
    Cool, man. I've only seen the remake of Ocean's 11 and the remake of The Italian Job, and of course I've seen both Infernal Affairs and The Departed. I imagine that the original The Taking of Pelham is better than the remake, although Brightside makes me want to check out Scott's version more so than I previously did. I bet the original Ocean's 11 is really awesome because of the Rat Pack, and I'm guessing the original Italian Job has to be better because the remake is mediocre and the original also has Michael Caine.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Cool, man. I've only seen the remake of Ocean's 11 and the remake of The Italian Job, and of course I've seen both Infernal Affairs and The Departed. I imagine that the original The Taking of Pelham is better than the remake, although Brightside makes me want to check out Scott's version more so than I previously did. I bet the original Ocean's 11 is really awesome because of the Rat Pack, and I'm guessing the original Italian Job has to be better because the remake is mediocre and the original also has Michael Caine.
    I watched both Taking of Pelhams, the 09 version was okay but the original was fantastic. The lack of technology actually helped the first one a lot more. Also with the Italian Job the original was much better then the remake, but even though I've been interested in watching more Rat Pack movies the original Oceans isn't nearly as good as the remake.

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is infinitely superior to the bland remake.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Agreed!

I haven't even seen the remake and I'm certain this is true. The original is an underrated classic.

The remake was one of my worst films of 2009. I think that was the year Travolta was going through some personal issues at home... I don't think he was putting much effort into it.

The remake was one of my worst films of 2009. I think that was the year Travolta was going through some personal issues at home... I don't think he was putting much effort into it.
    I am glad it was made simply because I don't think I would have watched the original had I not watched the remake. I'm being selfish here. :twisted:

I didn't hate the Pelham remake, but it was obviously inferior to the original. Travolta drops the F-bomb so often its awkward.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I haven't even seen the remake and I'm certain this is true. The original is an underrated classic.
    This is true. I watched it for the first time last year, and it holds up really well.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Interestingly enough this weekend I realized once again that I have failed to cover two more movies that were both remade, one of them being rather famous. We'll start with a less obvious remake, however.

The Sons Of Katie Elder (1965, Hathaway)

Despite this film having a really good cast, and even though its well directed, I'm not a huge fan of this one even though I love John Wayne. I think this is due to this film being rather cliche and standard, even for the western genre. There's nothing particularly special about this movie, and honestly the last two times I've watched it I've realized that the ending was always painfully obvious. Now I normally do not hold that against most movies, but in this case even with a western I do desire a bit more from the movie I'm watching.

Henry Hathaway actually directed John Wayne in a couple of other westerns, and he had a long and varied career. The only other film I've seen from him is True Grit, which is a much better western than The Sons of Katie Elder, although I will grant that Elder is pretty entertaining. Too bad that Wayne didn't make more movies with Dean Martin, as they had a natural chemistry in the few movies they made together, primarily the classic 1959 film Rio Bravo. Oh and don't forget to look for Dennis Hopper in another early role, merely four years before he directed Easy Rider.

Four Brothers (2005, Singleton)

Sporting arguably a better cast, this gritty urban update changes the setting completely and is a concrete western mixed in with some blaxplotation elements. All which gel together fairly well, despite some cheesy moments (Mark Wahlberg walking across the ice is hilarious and cool at the same time, coming across as an amusing botched nod to spaghetti westerns), and the fact that some of the violence feels a bit unnecessary and over the top. Yet, the relatively good cast and Singleton's firm direction make this an engaging action-thriller, and at this point I've seen so many times on cable that I guess I can call it a favorite of mine.

Honestly this is more of a loose remake of The Sons of Katie Elder than a direct take on the material, but I can point to this solid re-imaging of the previous film as why remakes are not a bad thing. When I talk about good or great remakes taking previous material and building upon it or offering an interesting take, Four Brothers is what I should point to from now on. If anything, this thread reminds me that there are far more bad sequels and even prequels than there are remakes.

Winner: Four Brothers by KO
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    12 Monkeys vs. La Jetee ?
    I haven't forgotten this one. I have viewed La Jetee, but only some of 12 Monkeys.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123