Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remakes vs. Originals: An Epic Battle

Duke, its okay man. I can handle 'em all. They don't scare me. Boo yah folks. Bring it on

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) gets a 100. The remake gets a 90. That's only a 10 point difference. So yes, its a close decision.

I have not seen The Shining mini-series. There's no way in hell that it can be better than Kubrick's version. I need to read the book, though.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I'm having tons of fun with this thread, btw. And yes I will eventually finish my Top Westerns thread. That requires far more effort and writing ability than this one.

The Thing From Another World (1951, Hawks and some other guys)

I'm going to be honest: its been years since I last saw this movie. In fact my last (and only) viewing was when it aired on TCM back when I was in high school. My freshman year, I think. Or was it 8th grade in elementary school? I'm not sure. Anyways, this is a well made sci-fi movie with elements of horror thrown in for good measure. Despite the silly creature FX, Hawks' only instance of him working in this particular genre is entertaining and well made.
    From the awe-inspiring shot of the gigantic crater, to the attempts to defeat the strange and violent alien, The Thing From Another World works as an exercise in Cold War paranoia and an example of one of the best of the 1950s sci-fi movies. The decade resulted in some awful ones (This Island Earth is an easy example, as is The Killer Shrews) but also some truly fantastic efforts such as this one, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (although that one is more horror than sci-fi), and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

The Thing (1982, Carpenter)

From what I've seen on the extras to this movie (the SE DVD copy is great) Carpenter decided to try and remain more true to the short story both movies were based off, "Who's There?" and in the process created an truly horrifying and scary masterpiece. I don't like to use that word lightly, but it applies here, as the FX, the acting, the direction, and the many frightening moments result in something truly unique. Its easily one of the best horror movies of all time, because it doesn't pull punches and perfectly captures the feelings of paranoia, fear, and hysteria that the characters experience at facing an enemy beyond the imagination. With the ability to change into anyone and everyone, it leads to people asking if anyone can be trusted.
    Just don't watch this movie if your a dog lover. Trust me. Another example of how a remake is better than the original, and as good as the original is this version is superior, hands down. Yes I'm aware of the movie's criticisms, but I just ignore them and keep on trucking. Those who post on the old Axis website know that I wrote a review of this for my Top 20 Horror movies list. It was long winded, and I don't even remember what I wrote.

The Thing (1982) by a knockout in 20 seconds. In the first round.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

This one is rather controversial. Good thing we don't have negative rep anymore, right? RIGHT? Oh boy...:lol:

Yojimbo (1961, Kurosawa)

Okay, so this is a really good movie, and one of the mere handful of Kurosawa films I've actually seen. Knowing how much he loved John Ford, it makes sense that the Japanese master would give the world a samurai western, but he also threw in gangster elements and apparently comedic ones as well. Even though I didn't pick up on the comedy that is supposed to be included in this movie. Maybe I missed it, or I'll pick it up on a second viewing. No idea, really, and I don't think its too important. Toshirô Mifune was a strong, imposing method actor who worked often with Kurosawa, and he's magnificent in this movie. Using humorous facial and body tics (love how he often shrugs his shoulders throughout), he doesn't need to say much to get across what his thoughts are, even as he plans out how he will destroy two nasty and brutal gangs that are tearing apart a small town.
    Now I'm not entirely convinced that this movie is anything more than merely very good-I just didn't get the feeling that it was a great film, or something incredibly special. Compared against the two other Kurosawas I've viewed (The Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress), its unfair to compare all three because each of them are quite different, in terms of quality and subject matter. Also, I'm sure there are those who are going to want to throw things at me for what I'm about to suggest next.

Fistful of Dollars (1964, Leone)

Is this a shot for shot remake? Well, mostly. I mean Kurosawa actually sued Leone in court over this movie, and I can't say I blame him. Yet there's something quite different about Leone's film, if only in terms of theme and how he tackles Kurosawa's work. Even though Clint Eastwood is no Toshirô Mifune, he suits the movie perfectly, hardly ever saying a word, letting his actions and six-shooter do most of the talking. [
    ] Leone's movie is more concerned with macho behavior, ignoring whatever Kurosawa was trying to say in his movie.
    Even though Leone was truly an amazing director, I must say that he often disregarded theme, or viewed it in a secondary manner unlike many other directors. His movies were usually separated moments in time that, combined together, resulted in western epics (and a gangster movie as well, one that I shall have to finally get around to seeing) that helped to alter and change the genre.

So really, its a draw in this battle. I think each one is fairly similar in terms of quality, and both bring something really interesting to the table. To me, its not entirely surprising considering both Kurosawa and Leone are among the best directors who ever worked in the business. Is it a cop out? Nah, because fights end in draws here and there. There are even ties in football.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The Thing From Another World 1951 is fantastic, but I too prefer the remake by a hair. And I also preferred The Departed.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I'm having tons of fun with this thread, btw. And yes I will eventually finish my Top Westerns thread. That requires far more effort and writing ability than this one.

The Thing From Another World (1951, Hawks and some other guys)

The Thing (1982, Carpenter)

The Thing (1982) by a knockout in 20 seconds. In the first round.
    Yaaaaaaay one I can finally comment on and agree with!!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

[
    ]
    This is a typical trope/convention in Japanese cinema, especially in the chambara/samurai genres. There is a word/phrase (which I've totally forgotten) stating that the build up before the action is far more important and meaningful than the actual action. For one, when two samurai/swordsmen would face each other, the winner was probably already known by the combatants. Secondly, you will notice that in these movies the actual action - when the blades are drawn and swung - lasts only seconds, while the build up to the action seems to hang for an eternity.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    This is a typical trope/convention in Japanese cinema, especially in the chambara/samurai genres. There is a word/phrase (which I've totally forgotten) stating that the build up before the action is far more important and meaningful than the actual action. For one, when two samurai/swordsmen would face each other, the winner was probably already known by the combatants. Secondly, you will notice that in these movies the actual action - when the blades are drawn and swung - lasts only seconds, while the build up to the action seems to hang for an eternity.
    Interesting point/thought.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Interesting point/thought.
    It's part of the reason why many Japanese films seem anti-climatic to some western viewers. We're more used to long, drawn out ending-conflicts.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hey I liked that movie. It was decent.

The Thing From Another World 1951 is fantastic, but I too prefer the remake by a hair. And I also preferred The Departed.
    Cool.

Yaaaaaaay one I can finally comment on and agree with!!
    ritch:

Huh Davis, I never thought about samurai battles in that manner before. And no I don't think its anti-climatic. I loved how fast the sword battles in Yojimbo are. Build-up is rather underrated when it comes to creating and showcasing action sequences.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Okay here's another horror themed one.

House on Haunted Hill (1959, Castle)

When I was younger, I saw this movie on AMC around Halloween. Despite the fact that it s really campy, and the acting isn't the greatest (Vincent Price being really awesome as usual, aside) I'm still a huge fan of it, dated FX and Castle's usual flair for over promoting his movies be damned. There's a good degree of charm to be found here, and the fact that they credit the skeleton at the end of the movie is a nice touch.
    That said, this is merely a decent/okay movie at best, old memories trying to convince me otherwise. Time hasn't been that great to this movie, and it was never scary at all, which is one of the main reasons horror movies exist. Last time I checked, I think. There's not much else to discuss here.

House on Haunted Hill (1999, Malone)

What really caused this post is that AMC decided to show the remake on their Fear Fest festival that they air every year. And a second viewing made me realize that I kind of acknowledged the last time I viewed it: that its a decent, interesting remake. There are plenty of creepy moments here, primarily Geoffrey Rush getting put into a wacked out chamber (no idea what its for) and is confronted by the dead spirits that wander the house. Does much of this movie really make sense? No, although the ending of course provides clues and solves the mystery. Which is lame, really, because I would have preferred the movie to be much like one of Argento's giellos, where by the end of the movie you aren't really sure what the hell you just watched. Or have a clue about what it was exactly about (there are exceptions, of course).
    Plus this movie has a surprisingly good cast. Rush of course actively excels in the Price role, and Famke Janssen is stunning-too bad she's not up to much these days-there was no point for her to be in Taken. Chris Kattan actually in a odd way channels Jeffrey Combs, which is funny because Combs is also in the movie, although in flashbacks and when his undead spirit comes back to scare the crap out of Rush via video camera. Ali Larter and Tay Diggs actually serve a purpose, even though their roles are rather thankless, as is Peter Gallagher and Bridgette Wilson. Even though I'm not sure if I can give this movie a particularly high rating, but I think this is another case where the remake is better than the original. Not by much, and I still like the original a good deal more even if it isn't the better movie.

Winner: 1999 version. Even though Price>Rush, easily.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Nice matchup there. I never really bothered with the remake, and was watching a clip and was surprised that the cast was actually good (Rush and Famke in particular).

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think that Rowland also likes the remake quite a bit. You should check it out, as it has some really eerie moments and dives a bit into gothic horror. Although I must warn that there is some bad CGI. Oh well. The original does have an acid vat in the basement, so there is that, heh.

On Criticker I looked at my scores for both. I'm now curious about revisiting the original just to find out why the hell I previously gave it an 80, when my current thinking says its a 70 at best.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I agree with this next battle. The only thing that ruins 1999's House on Haunted Hill is the retarded "spirit ending". The climax just dissolves after they break through the wall.

The sequel is quite bad too. It's on AMC like every night.

House of Wax?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's the better of the two Castle remakes, that's for sure.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I love the House on Haunted Hill remake. I think it's really well made, and actually kind of spooky. Plus, Famke.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I agree with this next battle. The only thing that ruins 1999's House on Haunted Hill is the retarded "spirit ending". The climax just dissolves after they break through the wall.
    Yes I do agree that the ending is kind of weak/crappy. But the rest of the movie makes up for it.

The sequel is quite bad too. It's on AMC like every night.
    No interest in viewing that one.

House of Wax?
    I've viewed part of the remake. What I saw was god-awful. Not even getting to watch Parris Hilton get killed is enough for me to see it. But the original 1953 version with Vincent Price is really underrated-I watched it a couple months back, I think.

I'm not sure what William Castle would think of a studio bearing his name that remakes his movies. I bet he'd appreciate their marketing ideas for House on Haunted Hill, and then sue them.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I've viewed part of the remake. What I saw was god-awful. Not even getting to watch Parris Hilton get killed is enough for me to see it. .
    It's probably the best Dark Castle production and the Paris scenes are definitely the worst part about the movie. But it's a pretty engrossing slasher.

It's probably the best Dark Castle production and the Paris scenes are definitely the worst part about the movie. But it's a pretty engrossing slasher.
    Dark Castle strikes me as filling the comment about how one can play the notes, but one cannot play the music that I've read somewhere.

Halloween (1978, Carpenter)

Is this really a fair battle? The only reason I'm covering this one is simply to state that even though the original is insanely superior in every single way, that the remake is actually quite solid, and one of the handful of decent/good remakes. Naturally I'm also heavily biased in favor of the original because it still scares the ever living hell out of me. Carpenter crafted a slasher movie that is intelligent, frightening, creepy, and very realistic. Thanks to him I'm forever terrified of surburbia-its dark corners, the possiblity that a masked psychopath is sneaking around in the bushes, or even hiding behind bedsheets in your backyard. The Boogyman is personalified here, and its a damn shame that the sequels robbed him of his mystique, although I liked Halloween II and III, the latter which didn't even feature Michael Myers. I have a far longer review of this movie which I wrote a couple years back on the Axis, so I'll just cap this at "Its goddamn brilliant, watch it" and move on.

Halloween (2007, Zombie)

Interestly enough, this movie has a stronger first half, with the exploration of Michael as a white trash kid with a murderous streak in him that eventually gets revealed and exposed later on. Zombie actually makes the backstory of Michael disturbing and brutal, treating the violence of his actions in a rather serious manner, even if they do go over the top quite a bit. Even though this robs Myers of his scary factor, it also makes him a bit more sympthetic until its clear that this isn't a boy or a man, but pure evil. When he finally wrecks havoc, the shit hits the fan and no one is safe, which is kind of what the original also implied despite having a lower body count.
    Also I think that Malcolm McDowell made for a better Dr. Loomis than Donald Pleasance did, if only because he makes the character more his own and gives him a certain extra something that was lacking. I can't put my finger on what it is, though.
    The second half in some ways is weaker because it falls into slasher conventions, and I growned when some of the movie turned into a boring "Michael chases after Laurie, she screams for help, hides, blah blah" that looking back was also in the original, but was done with a sense of better pacing and care. That final shot though equals the original Carpenter film however in terms of power, and is rather different: while Carpenter's ending is meant to be creepy and haunting, Zombie's is nasty and shocking.

Winner: 1978 version, easily, even though the 2007 one is solid despite what the haters may say (and trust me, I've encountered many of them on Bloody Disgusting).
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -
    Great thread. Haven't seen this one before.

Disappointed in Zombie's remake.

Where it's good, it's original. After 30 minutes though, Zombie goes on autopilot and just shits out a straight remake plot point for plot point.

(You're batshit crazy, though, for thinking Scorcese's bloated The Departed is anywhere near as good as Infernal Affairs).

The Haunting (1963)
    vs.
    The Haunting (1999)

Where is it? I am preparing myself for outrage.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
    vs
    The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Should be an easy one.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    The Haunting (1963)
    vs.
    The Haunting (1999)

Where is it? I am preparing myself for outrage.
    I've only viewed the original. The remake looks and sounds awful, but I might view it just for kicks.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Great thread. Haven't seen this one before.
    Thanks.

Disappointed in Zombie's remake.

Where it's good, it's original. After 30 minutes though, Zombie goes on autopilot and just shits out a straight remake plot point for plot point.
    For me its more like 45-50 minutes. But I agree that at times Zombie does go on autopilot, and that time hurts the movie.

(You're batshit crazy, though, for thinking Scorcese's bloated The Departed is anywhere near as good as Infernal Affairs).
    Nope. Even though Tony Leung Chiu Wai>everyone in both movies, the rest of the cast for Infernal Affairs ranges from merely good to decent to awful. And in a crime drama acting is insanely important. The Departed has more interesting themes that it touches upon, and is better directed, acted (as long as you don't compare them to Tony Leung, who's amazing all around-anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts) despite its bloated running time. It only needed about 30 minutes chopped off, though. I would have also changed the ending.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
    vs
    The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Should be an easy one.
    I'll watch the remake this Halloween.

Now for an interesting one:

12 Angry Men (1957, Lumet)

A truly great film, and one of the best of the 1950s, this classic from Sidney Lumet features an excellent cast and is pretty famous at this point. Most people know the story-one juror decides that a man is not guilty, or at least determines that the prosecution has not met the standard of "Reasonable Doubt." Naturally Henry Fonda took the role, although Jimmy Stewart could have also done a really great job as Juror #8. I rather like that they do not give the jurors names, making us focus on what they believe in and what they say rather than focusing on who they are.

This also has one of my favorite scenes, which is when Henry Fonda asks Lee J. Cobb, the film's antagonist, to use a knife to prove a point about where the victim was stabbed and that the person charged with murder is in fact innocent. Its incredibly tensed and superbly well acted, and is one of the movie's true highlights. Really though this movie is incredibly tense due to being filmed in a tight, small space with a bunch of men who end up revealing their true natures over the long course of deliberations spurred by one man's at the beginning rather desperate bid to achieve justice.

Well that and the fact that even though such a theme is rather very important, the movie's final shot really proves that in the end, men are not perfect, but even the worst of us are capable of being persuaded to maybe do something right. Or at the very least be utterly defeated by better men who have the daring to see their beliefs and convictions through to the end.

12 Angry Men (1997,Friedkin)

How do you remake a great film? Very carefully, apparently. This is actually a rather underrated re-envisioning, with a cast that almost rivals the original's, although I will admit that it copies and mimics a lot of the original's most famous moments. Yet, I loved Jack Lemmon as Juror #8, and George C. Scott rather excels in the Lee J. Cobb spot, and getting to see the two of them go at it is a rather welcomed treat and makes this movie worthy of having even been made in the first place.

There's really not much else I can say about this movie, except that I actually think this film was one of the reasons I made this thread in the first place. Its also why I bumped it, simply to highlight a movie that I don't think is as well known, especially since I believe it was a HBO movie. I will admit that this movie does completely avoid the fact that its modern times and women are allowed to serve on juries, but I really don't mind that particular lapse in logic.

Verdict: Original, by 10 points on the rating scale I think. Check out the remake, watch the original if you haven't seen it already.

PS: I didn't realize that William Friedkin directed the remake, actually until recently. Huh, that's cool.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Since 12 Angry Men is in my top 5 all time, I should probably check out the remake.

Got another battle:

Fright Night (1985) vs Fright Night (2011)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast