Page 52 of 262 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm far more interested in a SHIELD movie then pretty much anything else that's actually coming out of Marvel films including Avengers.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I'm far more interested in a SHIELD movie then pretty much anything else that's actually coming out of Marvel films including Avengers.
    How about a Black Widow stand alone movie? :lol:
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Meh, I'd go for pulpy Luke Cage movie. That would be the shit.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Meh, I'd go for pulpy Luke Cage movie. That would be the shit.
    Relevant.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I want a Dr. Strange, or a Cload & Dagger movie.

Pretty much the only Marvel properties I have any interest in.

I want a Dr. Strange, or a Cload & Dagger movie.

Pretty much the only Marvel properties I have any interest in.

Rumor has it Dr. Strange will be one of the new characters brought in after this film.

They're making series' where one overall story connects the various films (in this case, the forming of the Avengers and the rose of Loki), all culminating in a team-up film for the climax.

So after The Avengers, a new story arc will start, and that's where, supposedly, Dr. Strange will be introduced.

And it looks like Iron Man will be infected with Extremis, and Cap will face off against the Winter Soldier.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Marvel's essentially doing a TV series on the big screen it seems.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Marvel's essentially doing a TV series on the big screen it seems.
    Exactly. Tell you the truth, I find that fucking exciting, really.

It's something that has never been done since the days of the old serials, which weren't exactly this either.

I know that not everyone here on MC (or in the world) is into the superhero thing, and the executions have been a tad lacking (Iron Man 2, and to a lesser extent Captain America), but I too find this exciting and I think it's a really admirable feat by Marvel Studios.

That it's happening at all is pretty cool, I think.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Guy Pearce to appear in Iron Man 3? it sure looks so.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55138
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Guy Pearce to appear in Iron Man 3? it sure looks so.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55138
    Shane Black helming and Pearce on board? BEST SECOND SEQUEL EVAR.
    Fruitvale Station (Ryan Coogler) - ***
    The World's End (Edgar Wright) - ***

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Exactly. Tell you the truth, I find that fucking exciting, really. It's something that has never been done since the days of the old serials, which weren't exactly this either.
    I absolutely love what they've done. I admire the balance they have struck between realism and fantasy. It's to the point where I almost don't see these as "comic book" movies per say, but elaborate science fiction films that just happen to be a little more fiction than science. I've said that the Stark films feel more like corporate techno thrillers. I'd like to see Tony Gilroy or David Fincher try his hand at one of the Iron Mans. The other aspect about these films that I've loved is watching the studio pair up material with distinctive directors. You get a feel for what they're going for just by who they pick. The last couple choices have been a little perplexing (the short list of directors for Cap 2 is kind of a letdown), but so far they have not let me down.

The slow expansion of this particular Marvel universe (at this point I hold no illusions that we'll see the X-Men or Spider-Man) has been a joy to see and also nearly unprecedented. I've enjoyed the Star Trek book series where we see one event from the perspective of the different crews and this is very similar.

Four years ago I only knew the characters' names and little else. Now I cannot wait to see what they do next.

Flipping through a big book on the Avengers at the store, it seems the only character who really needs to be addressed is Ant-Man. What I'm hoping will happen is they'll do an Avengers film every so often. Let the characters have their individual films and then bring them together again. So we're getting Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and then Cap 2. Then a lot of all-new content. I'm wondering if Edgar Wright's Ant-Man might introduce Ultron to set up the next Avengers foe. Like how Thor introduced Loki. Makes sense to me.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Jessica Chastain is up for a role in Iron Man 3.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Hmmm. Pepper's younger sister, Peppier Potts?

I like Chastain a lot, so having people like her and Pearce in this cast only adds to my anticipation of what will come after The Avengers. My enthusiasm for it in general is probably helped by being the one person that thinks Iron Man 2, as disjointed as it is, is better than the first one. The characters and their interactions were more enjoyable and significantly funnier, Rockwell was fantastic, the action had actual, intense stakes and a better sense of geography and scale to it. And the climax of the second one is so much more fun and satisfying, especially since it lasts more than a handful of minutes and amounts to more than Iron Man vs. bigger, grayer, evil Iron Man.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Jesus Christ, Andy Lau is on board too, playing Tony Stark's old friend.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

So I just watched the 9 hour cut of the Avengers films, and, yeah, I can't recommend it at all. If you haven't seen the movies yet, watch them separately instead of watching this version. Captain America and Iron Man are both pretty much intact and unaffected, but it's once they start intertwining the movies that things get a bit messy. The Incredible Hulk was definitely hurt by this, as we're only given the tiniest little bits and pieces of it, and we go for long, long stretches of time before revisiting it.

Meanwhile, Iron Man 2 just overwhelmed this movie. This was also the second time I saw Iron Man 2, and I actually hated it that much more than I did before. All of its flaws were made that much more apparent by having to sit through such extended periods of this movie, and especially since Hulk was given to us in such small portions, it made it really stand out that they didn't cut away for such long periods of time.

Honestly, the only movie that benefits at all from this was Thor. This cut was a tremendous improvement over the individual cut of Thor. The parts that felt boring and dragged out didn't have that feel to them anymore, since they never stuck with the Asgard portions for any significant length, which really improved on the pacing of the movie.

Also, there was one glaring error as far as ordering the scenes chronologically. They sent Agent Colson to New Mexico about an hour before he should have been chronologically, which really only irritated me since they got everything else so well.

So yeah, overall, I was pretty disappointed with this cut. If you haven't seen the movies yet, check them out individually.

My reaction was the same, except the exact reverse of everything you said.

Thor was the only one worsened by the cut.
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, there was one glaring error as far as ordering the scenes chronologically. They sent Agent Colson to New Mexico about an hour before he should have been chronologically, which really only irritated me since they got everything else so well.
    It's not an error. The cut lines up the night-to-day transitions and follows instances where characters indicate what day it is. Watch Thor again: Mjolnir falls to Earth at night and is discovered by locals the morning after. Coulson arrives in New Mexico that very same day, and it's early in the day too since the scene of Thor and the others at breakfast is after Coulson's arrival. Which is why the short film of him going to New Mexico is set at night. He drove all night from California to New Mexico. The scene of him telling Tony he's leaving is daytime. So it has to be the day before.

Coulson actually went because SHIELD detected a wormhole disturbance over the desert. The very same thing Jane and her team detected, which is the reason SHIELD confiscated all their research, remember? SHIELD knew about Asgard before Thor and Mjolnir even came to earth, because they've had the Cosmic Cube since WWII.

This is one of those things that were very confusing in separate films, but was pretty clear when cut together. :P
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's not an error. The cut lines up the night-to-day transitions and follows instances where characters indicate what day it is. Watch Thor again: Mjolnir falls to Earth at night and is discovered by locals the morning after. Coulson arrives in New Mexico that very same day, and it's early in the day too since the scene of Thor and the others at breakfast is after Coulson's arrival. Which is why the short film of him going to New Mexico is set at night. He drove all night from California to New Mexico. The scene of him telling Tony he's leaving is daytime. So it has to be the day before.

Coulson actually went because SHIELD detected a wormhole disturbance over the desert. The very same thing Jane and her team detected, which is the reason SHIELD confiscated all their research, remember? SHIELD knew about Asgard before Thor and Mjolnir even came to earth, because they've had the Cosmic Cube since WWII.

This is one of those things that were very confusing in separate films, but was pretty clear when cut together. :P
    Ah, well this all does make sense. I guess I just didn't find it to be all that clear while watching. Granted, I was watching with a group of snarking friends, so it's not surprising that we might miss something like this. :P

Ruffalo is locked in on six Marvel films????

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I cobbled together my thoughts on the 9 hour thing into an article.
    Movie Theater Diary

Andy Lau? Fuck. Guess I have to see this.

Ah, well this all does make sense. I guess I just didn't find it to be all that clear while watching. Granted, I was watching with a group of snarking friends, so it's not surprising that we might miss something like this. :P
    I don't know what you speak of. :lol::P

Kind of meaningless without context.

Edgar Wright tweeted that pic saying someone sent it to him in the mail. Basically telling him to move ass in his long-delayed Ant-Man movie.
    Movie Theater Diary