Page 251 of 262 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Even during the production of The Mandalorian the tech got vastly upgraded, pretty soon they'll be all over it for everything.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Even during the production of The Mandalorian the tech got vastly upgraded, pretty soon they'll be all over it for everything.
    I wonder how many studios they will use this technology. I can't imagine the overlapping schedules they have already.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    It'll look like shit, bc Mando looked like shit.

It's an Instragram/Tik-Tok problem, where the hard limits of the form will become hard limits on the imagination. Every scene will be blocked to the scope of a single room, because that's all they got.

Mando had basic, uninteresting locations and rudimentary action scenes (and terrible fight choreography, but that's beside the point right now). The show spent more per season than a lot of movies and the money remained in their shiny new tech. It wasn't on the screen.

Eg: "John Wick: Parabellum" had sequences and stunts that would be impossible to stage using Marvel's toy. Most real action movies do.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    It'll look like shit, bc Mando looked like shit.

It's an Instragram/Tik-Tok problem, where the hard limits of the form will become hard limits on the imagination. Every scene will be blocked to the scope of a single room, because that's all they got.

Mando had basic, uninteresting locations and rudimentary action scenes (and terrible fight choreography, but that's beside the point right now). The show spent more per season than a lot of movies and the money remained in their shiny new tech. It wasn't on the screen.

Eg: "John Wick: Parabellum" had sequences and stunts that would be impossible to stage using Marvel's toy. Most real action movies do.
    Yeh I agree. I suppose it would be perfect for 'everyone in a room discussing shit' kind of scene. Not to base a whole film around it.

Something like this- where you don't need to spend money on a set, and just stick everyone in a circle.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I most definitely think Marvel will never match the hype (and BO returns) they had with phases 1 through 3.
    funny. this was me 2 years ago:

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    this isn't sustainable. the superhero craze is going to die sooner than later. I think Endgame will start the decline honestly — it will be impossible to top. DC might actually be the ones to kill it.
    this was you:

I predict AT LEAST another decade of superhero stuff being successful and in the spotlight.

And that’s being ultra conservative.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Yep I've definitely come around on the superhero stuff.

I don't see anything passing the OG Avengers on the hype train.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Yep I've definitely come around on the superhero stuff.

I don't see anything passing the OG Avengers on the hype train.
    Yeah. They struck gold with RDJ's iconic performance and milked it for all it was worth. It was a true "star" performance - which is the real secret to box office success. Not IPs, stars. I don't see any stars or star-making performances happening in Eternals.

I love how all the wild psychedelic colors and whacked out concepts you find in Jack Kirby's drawings have become all washed out and muted and ugly. Not a good trailer.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I wholeheartedly agree with this and might even add that plenty of action fans are aware of it. I guess I disagree with the overall assessment of the show and calling its visuals "shit", but I believe we'll see the approach put to a lot of use in the following years.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe
    I love how all the wild psychedelic colors and whacked out concepts you find in Jack Kirby's drawings have become all washed out and muted and ugly. Not a good trailer.
    Thor: Ragnarok looked a lot more Kirby than this, which is supposed to be the Kirby adaptation.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Yeah. They struck gold with RDJ's iconic performance and milked it for all it was worth. It was a true "star" performance - which is the real secret to box office success. Not IPs, stars. I don't see any stars or star-making performances happening in Eternals.

Well, I think the pitch-perfect casting of Downey was probably as big a factor as anything else in the success of the original Iron Man and the way it became the original cinematic foundation for the MCU, but I think the star power became less important as the series as a whole continued (and Hollywood in general became even more property-oriented), and by the time we got to the first Avengers, I think the novelty of seeing all these different, recognizable superheroes all combined in one film became a bigger deal than the presence of RDJ or any other single actor, and the strength of the brand name and the overall interconnected nature of the franchise became a bigger factor than the stars (even though they do have some of the biggest actors in Hollywood in these movies, obviously).

That being said though, while I had hoped that the overwhelmingly colorful look of Guardians 2 & Thor: Ragnar had showed that the MCU was making a course-correction in that area, I do agree with you that the muted color palette of Eternals (and a number of their other recent releases) does look pretty ugly based off of the first trailer, and sadly proves that the series still tends to have this problem so far into its existence:

I think people forget just how corporately run Phases 1-2.5 were. Now that Ike Perlmutter is out entirely, I'm more interested in the decisions in the creative film making process (action scenes aside), along with Feige's overall plan.

Let's see what he can do when he's REALLY running the show. They are basically starting from scratch here.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I think people forget just how corporately run Phases 1-2.5 were. Now that Ike Perlmutter is out entirely, I'm more interested in the decisions in the creative film making process (action scenes aside), along with Feige's overall plan.

Let's see what he can do when he's REALLY running the show. They are basically starting from scratch here.
    In a way, this suggests you expect the movies to get worse, not better, now that Perlmutter is gone. (Or that you're sorta backhandedly giving Perlmutter a huge amount of credit.)

In a way, this suggests you expect the movies to get worse, not better, now that Perlmutter is gone. (Or that you're sorta backhandedly giving Perlmutter a huge amount of credit.)
    From a box office perspective, I'm suggesting neither. Black Panther and Captain Marvel were all Feige. And those franchises made a billion dollars. Outside of the Avengers films the only other billion dollar franchise was Iron Man. And we all know what drove that money.

I'm saying the reason Joss Whedon didn't direct Avengers Infinity War and End Game was because of Perlmutter.

Or the reason why it took so long to get Black Panther and Captain Marvel off the ground was Perlmutter.

Perlmutter is also why Edgar Wright didn't direct Ant-man.

Perlmutter also forced Inhumans on Feige, which Feige eventully took off the slate when he didn't have to report to Perlmutter any more.

- - - - -
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dukefrukem again."

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! (M. Hoshino/M. Minato, 2024) ☆
    Correr para Vivir (G. Dorantes, 2024) ☆
    The Bad Guys (P. Perifel, 2022) ☆
    Persepolis (M. Satrapi/V. Paronnaud, 2007)
    Coyote (K. Jerkovic, 2022) ☆
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆
    Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, S1 (K. Saitō, 2023?24) ☆
    Knocked Up (J. Apatow, 2007) ☆

First time ☆

Has there been any info about the future of Natalie Portman as Thor?

Is it just for this one movie? Or will she be Thor moving forward?

I would very much like to see her be Thor from now on.

I very much doubt that will happen, tbh. I dunno anything about Hemsworth's contract, but he seems pretty beloved as Thor, if not as high as RDJ was. Also, she seems not really that into comics-related stuff. I can't imagine even as the protagonist superhero that she'd want to continue in a persistent, demanding franchise.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I very much doubt that will happen, tbh. I dunno anything about Hemsworth's contract, but he seems pretty beloved as Thor, if not as high as RDJ was. Also, she seems not really that into comics-related stuff. I can't imagine even as the protagonist superhero that she'd want to continue in a persistent, demanding franchise.
    I think Hemsworth is the only member of the OG Avengers who signed on for multiple films post-Endgame, so this could be true.

I remember it being more or less stated that he was going to be more involved with Guardians of the Galaxy than Avengers going forward. But now that James Gunn and some of the GotG cast have said that the third movie is the definite end of that series, I wonder if that plan has changed

TL;DR I like Portman and would love to see her have a huge action franchise. Since WW84 shit the bed maybe she can take that throne.

I would like to see Portman make a sequel to Leon.

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Bring on Tony Leung: Superhero Villain.

Somehow didn't know before that Michelle Yeoh is in this as well.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Prediction: The villain wielding the ten rings in the trailer is not the Mandarin. Thats not a complaint, just an observation.

Looks sweet.

I'm here for the wild fantasy elements.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

A glimpse at Abomination at the end there, which makes sense, because it's rumored Tim Roth will reprise the role in the She-Hulk series.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    A glimpse at Abomination at the end there, which makes sense, because it's rumored Tim Roth will reprise the role in the She-Hulk series.
    And the inventible Thunderbolts Series.

Abomination is fighting Wong too. So that's kinda neat.