Page 226 of 262 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 6529

Thread: The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Which makes sense. Unless there is a director that has a really good eye for it (like Whedon or the Russos) let the hired director direct the scenes that matter, let them mold and shape the film by injecting the culture and dialog that they were hired to do, and let some 2nd team work on the fast stuff.
    Makes sense in the context of a production model like Marvel's where the directors are largely slaves to the plans of the producers. I'm not saying this is a necessarily bad thing (it has given us some great movies) but I think it's a bit weird to approach auteur directors like Martel and tell them they are not going to direct the entirety of their own movie. I'm sure the sudden departure of names like Joss Whedon or Edgar Wright had a lot to do with this.

I mean, for a compromised filmmaker who thinks of what he does as art, I can see how it's borderline offensive. Every scene of a film they made is supposed to be a "scene that matters".

Which makes sense. Unless there is a director that has a really good eye for [action] (like Whedon or the Russos)....

Uh, I'm not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

One of the reasons I'm sick of the MCU is that the action shot so poorly, especially by these guys. Compared it to something like the Mission Impossible franchise, and MCU action is all just boring blur and fast cutting and magic interventions. So, so, so boring.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I wonder if that explains why the action scenes in Black Panther were as shockingly poor as they were, despite having Ryan Coogler at the helm.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Uh, I'm not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

One of the reasons I'm sick of the MCU is that the action shot so poorly, especially by these guys. Compared it to something like the Mission Impossible franchise, and MCU action is all just boring blur and fast cutting and magic interventions. So, so, so boring.
    Let me be clear- The ending to Ultron was a massive-bad-guy-stew-mess.

But Iron Man vs Thor was perfect. THAT one shot was perfect.

And, the Russos, this scene and this scene are two of the best action sequences in the MCU. You'll probably respond with "yeh that's right they are the best sequences and they are also still bad which shows you how bad all of the action is in the MCU"- but I humbly and respectively disagree.

The Black Panther finale was also very very bad.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

My new favorite Youtube Channel, these guys go into detail on what probably happened in that Black Panther finale. TLDW: Time was a factor.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I wouldn’t personally choose those 2 for my favorites, though my favorite fight scenes do still come from the Russos all the same:

Iron Man vs Cap and Bucky - Civil War
    Iron Man vs Thanos - Infinity War

Also a big fan of the final action sequences to Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. Those showed a level of creativity and inspiration we haven’t seen too much of in a lot of the action sequences since.

Captain America/Buck VS. Iron Man is easily my favorite out of the fights.

As mentioned, the directors of the movie also directed the action!

I would hope that whoever gets to direct Shang-Chi gets to do the same.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Winter Soldier is one of the best action movies of the decade.

I thought you'd never ask...

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post601785

My updated list after yesterday's news

Black Widow & Hawkeye : May 1, 2020 (this makes total sense given the runway and 12 month production window)
    Shang-Chi: 11/6/20

Doctor Strange 2 (Namor Introduced) 2/12/21
    Black Panther 2 5/7/21
    Eternals 11/5/21

Captain Marvel 2: 2022
    Namor the Sub-Mariner: 2022
    Avengers: Secret Invasion 2022

Thor 4 2023
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (Adam Warlock Introduced) 2023
    I just realized that I don't have a Spider-man 3 movie here. So sub out Namor for Spider-man 3.

T-minus a couple of hours.

I thought you'd never ask...

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post601785

My updated list after yesterday's news

Black Widow & Hawkeye : May 1, 2020 (this makes total sense given the runway and 12 month production window)
    Shang-Chi: 11/6/20

Black Panther 2 5/7/21
    Eternals 11/5/21

Spider-man 3: Back Home: 2022

Thor 4 2023
    First movie revealed to be Eternals on 11/6/20

Richard Madden as Icarus, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry (Fastos), and the leader of the Eternals Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh and Don Lee as Gilgamesh and Angelina Jolie

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-ete...20-1202649881/

Eternals 11/6/20

Black Panther 2 5/7/21
    Eternals 11/5/21

Spider-man 3: Back Home: 2022

Thor 4 2023

Oh shit. The Mandarin returns?

So far I'm nailing the movies. Just not the dates.

Wanda Vision series events will tie into Doctor Strange 2. Olsen will also be in the movie.

Wow Portman returns? Wtf?

Oh wow. Female Thor will be introduced.

Hey I got a date right.

So that's it I guess (other than the stuff i posted on Disney+). Not going to announce the 2022 or 2023 dates. Strategic I think; so people sign up for Disney+ and watch the series.

Black Widow: May 1, 2020
    Eternals 11/6/20

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) 2/12/21
    Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness 5/7/21
    Thor Love and Thunder 11/5/21

Oh shit. No it wasn't done.

Sounds like they are saving stuff for D23?

At the end Kevin said they didn't even get to Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, Fantastic Four and...mutants!!

That Thor title card is so damn cool. Looks like an arcade placard for an 80s fantasy game.

Blade casting holy shit

- - - - -
    Sounds like they are saving stuff for D23?

At the end Kevin said they didn't even get to Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, Fantastic Four and...mutants!!
    Did Feige actually say the words "Fantastic Four" in front of the audience? Interesting.

He did.

Producer
    Biggest news for me is that Tony Leung is now in MCU!!!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    According to THR, Blade is happening because Ali wanted it.

Speaking to THR after the presentation, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said that Ali called the studio after winning the Oscar for his work Green Book. "When Marhershala calls, you answer," Feige said. At the meeting, Ali came right out and said that he wanted to do Blade. That was that.
    dat clout. Love it lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5